• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chevywolf30 tries to draw

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
when I was in middle school, I got a "How to draw Nintendo characters" book and it actually really helped with learning to draw. It takes you step by step through a process to draw characters, and the principles it teaches extend to art in general. I would definitely recommend checking out an art book from your library, but just as with everything, it's a lot easier to stay engaged if you do something you like (for me, that meant drawing WW Ganondorf instead of some silly made up cartoon character)

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
View attachment 45783
Thing I drew a while back that I've mentioned wanting to find.

That looks really cool! I have a couple tips, if you'd like to hear them.

I noticed how the master sword's blade is a little wobbly. I understand how much of a struggle it is to draw a perfectly straight line, I can't do it either. But here's a trick. Instead of drawing it free hand, use a ruler to draw the line. It's way easier that way. That's how I draw the panels for my short comic pages.

I'd also recommend to look up some hand references. And if you don't have access to the internet when you're drawing, just look at your own hand! Study how it looks in different angles, sketch a few drawings of it. Even if you're drawing in a cartoony style, it's still good to understand how the hand works.

You did a great job on it, and I'm looking forward to seeing other art pieces you'll make!

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
You should try sketching with a reference in front of you. I think in general drawing what you can see is a skill that most people can easily learn (and should), while drawing what you cant see is something that requires diligence and practice. Right now, drawing with a reference will help you learn to unify shapes and sizes until you can get your hands on an art book

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I’d suggest to look up some reference pictures or videos about wolves like Moe Mikey said.

Here’s another thing. I can’t tell if you did this or not, but when sketching, try to use the pencil really lightly. All my sketches tend look like this:

image.jpg

I don’t know if you guys can tell what that is haha, but the point is, it’s really lightly drawn on the paper. Drawing lightly is good, because you can erase easily if you make a mistake, and you can use those lines for a reference for pen drawings, and you most likely won’t need to heavily erase a bunch of stuff after you ink it. It’s a good habit to have.

Also, when you’re drawing a character, try to imagine their personality and habits. You, as an artist, need to show who that character is, a basic idea of what their personality is, and other little details in one drawing. People should be able to take one glance at the character and know if they’re a bad guy or a good guy; if they have a shy personality or a mean one.

Ways to do that is, 1, their design. Character who are pleasant to be around usually have a circles as their base and soft round design. Round head, round, small nose, etc. Think of Poe from Kung Fu Panda. What about Disney villains? Every single one has some sort of pointy, triangle shape in their design. Try to incorporate shapes into your sketches. Do you see how I used mostly circles in my sketch? Even the cat’s markings are circles.

2, their pose. Whenever you draw someone you have to draw them in a pose. I usually take their personality and portray it in the pose they’re in. Take this drawing I found:

1612917730403.jpeg

All of those people are all sitting down in the same exact chair, but you can tell each person’s personality just by the way they are sitting! Do you remember in The Lion King how Scar sat under pride rock all hunched up?

1612918022201.gif

He is one of the best examples of this. You can see how he sits dejectedly, holding his head low to the ground. If Mufasa were sitting, would he hold his head high and proud?

3, colors. In The Lion King, scar has small green eyes and a shaggy black mane. Both of those colors are used a lot for villains. If you ever make another colored picture, take your character’s personality into account before you start coloring. Maybe they’re small, hesitant, skittish? Maybe use paler colors and on the cooler side (blue, purple, green.).

I said this because, looking at your wolf sketch, I can’t find any kind of personality trait hidden inside the drawing. Making your characters have personality will really add depth to your creation. You sketch is really good though, especially if you haven’t drawn a wolf before! Keep it up! <3

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Yes, I did use a reference picture. I tried to get it up here, but technical difficulties. Not even sure what happened.
I am aware I push too hard with my pencil :lemmy:

I will be sure to think about the kind of character I'm drawing next time too. I didn't really havr a character in mind this time, I was really just practicing techniques for drawing a lying down wolf. Pleased with what I got done.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Ah. Keeping practicing then! It takes practice and patience to get good at something. You could even use someone else's artwork alongside a real pic of a wolf as a reference. I like to study art when I have the chance. Seeing how other people use the same mediums you use and make something really cool is inspiring. It also helps you learn different techniques and art styles.

One of your goals should be to improve how heavy you put down pencil lines, if you're aiming to be really good at art. It's good to be able to control how hard you draw. If you're just doing it for fun though, I think it isn't as important as other techniques concerning art.

I do that too sometimes. I wasn't sure whether you were drawing an OC or not, so I put it out there.

I'm pleased with it too! It's super inspiring to see you striving at being good at drawing. I hope you keep practicing and get better and better! I know your art style will improve every single time you draw!

If you want, draw some more cute wolves uwu <3

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Reference picture is one thing, but watching video doesn't allow the artist's originality to develop especially if they're a beginner, don't you think?
I did use a step by step tutorial for the face, but I've tried to avoid any sort of detailed walkthrough. I want my own artstyle, not someone else's.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Reference picture is one thing, but watching video doesn't allow the artist's originality to develop especially if they're a beginner, don't you think?

I don’t mean an art walkthrough, I mean watching videos about real wolves. Looking at a picture of a wolf’s anatomy is one thing, but watching a wolf move around and watching how it’s joints work will help a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom