• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Chat Talk, grammar, punctuation

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
So nowadays we see this more and more: How R U? R U doing good? What is there problem?
You know this irritating and annoying talk with many grammatical errors. I have a friend who is only 6 years younger than me and she is doing it all the time and it annoys me till no end. It's a fast way of typing and communicating and especially on some devices but what do you think of it? Are you doing it yourself or do you hate it as much as I do?

Austin

Austin
What I've actually found interesting about this new version of English is how some expressions have become the typed equivalent of body language such as a nod. An expression like "lol", for instance, rarely indicates that the person has laughed out loud but has instead become a sort of acknowledge of any vaguely humorous statement just so the person on the other end knows that you're still there and read the message. Meanwhile, to actually indicate that you've actually expressed a laugh on the audible spectrum you'll saying something like "lol'd".

It's probably only me that finds that interesting but I just thought I'd share.

I generally type properly unless I'm trying to be ironic. I don't mind abbreviations and such in an instant messaging context, but on a forum or something similar it can easily get obnoxious. Intentional typos can get just as annoying, just saying.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I usually try to only do it when I'm texting but on a forum or elsewhere I try and type it out correctly. I think that between friends in a casual text is alright though. What does annoy me is when people start speaking in abbreviations and using stuff like "me" in place of "my".

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
SOMEBODY WHO AGREES. FINALLY.
"lol but i agrez so much 2 this pst.. its th best u shud mak mor post lik this" Freaking drives me nuts when I ask somebody how they're doing and they respond with "nm hbu" with no punctuation or ANYTHING. First, it makes you seem crazy unintelligent, and it also makes you look like you have no emotions. I mean, when I text, my messages go so far over the 160 character limit that I usually end up sending 3 whole messages, because I word things in such a fashion that I get my point across clearly, without any confusion. Half the time I talk to the illiterate people, I get confused a lot because their wording is so dumbed-down from actual English.
This ALMOST made sense on old flip phones without a full keyboard, but they still didn't use this level of intense idiocy back then! And people are doing this ON THEIR FREAKING COMPUTER KEYBOARDS!!!!!! Even back when I had my puny phone with a relatively small QWERTY keyboard, I still typed 3-message-long texts with complete literacy. Even when I had my pile-of-junk iPod Touch with a miserably small screen, I typed with COMPLETE LITERACY. It's not, and never was, all that hard.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
SOMEBODY WHO AGREES. FINALLY.
"lol but i agrez so much 2 this pst.. its th best u shud mak mor post lik this" Freaking drives me nuts when I ask somebody how they're doing and they respond with "nm hbu" with no punctuation or ANYTHING. First, it makes you seem crazy unintelligent, and it also makes you look like you have no emotions. I mean, when I text, my messages go so far over the 160 character limit that I usually end up sending 3 whole messages, because I word things in such a fashion that I get my point across clearly, without any confusion. Half the time I talk to the illiterate people, I get confused a lot because their wording is so dumbed-down from actual English.
This ALMOST made sense on old flip phones without a full keyboard, but they still didn't use this level of intense idiocy back then! And people are doing this ON THEIR FREAKING COMPUTER KEYBOARDS!!!!!! Even back when I had my puny phone with a relatively small QWERTY keyboard, I still typed 3-message-long texts with complete literacy. Even when I had my pile-of-junk iPod Touch with a miserably small screen, I typed with COMPLETE LITERACY. It's not, and never was, all that hard.

Same feeling, but about TyPiNg LiKe ThIs Is ReAllY bAd ToO.

I never use single letter abbreviations for complete words like, "How r u?" Good communication is always a plus and writing a complete sentence isn't much of a hassle.

Grammar errors don't slide by me. The only times I slip up are when I'm very tired but if you have the time to write a message online, please take the time to proofread it. There are lots of judgmental people who will think less of you for improper grammar and from a communication stand point once more, clarity improves conversation.

Clank

Hmm
I will use some abbreviations such as k for ok IF I am in a rush, but usually I try to spell everything out.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
IT INFURIATES ME TO NO END UGH LIKE CMON
ENGLISH, MOTHER****ER.
DO YOU SPEAK IT?
and yet half the time i'm too lazy to bother with capitals and proper grammar anyways
i also use "u, pls, rly, nou, kawaii" and stuff that generally makes me sound dumb for mostly ironic purposes but now i can't really stop sighH (i blame tumblr ok)
hahaaaaaaaaaaaa hypocritical me

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I use it at times in the SB, but not that much. At times it's probably frustrating to those who don't know the abbreviations to some stuff, so I don't do it often. In my own opinion, there's nothing like using the normal words, that way peeps will understand me perfectly. :cool:

I generaly try to avoid it.
When I'm on a forum, I try to be as grammatically correct as I can.

On the other hand, when Im in games that need quick reflexes:
"*short part of name here* bh u!"

Translation:
*short part of name here* behind you!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do chat talk like lol, sup, nm, et cetera all the time. I find it to be a much more efficient way of communicating small things (for example, why type out nothing much when I can do a simply nm instead). This isn't to say that I accept it everywhere, though. In an environment where you want to be as effective as possible and also taken seriously (e.g in a discussion board geared towards the future of a game or something), you generally want to avoid "tlkng liek dis". But, what irritates me the most is this kind of typing:

The First Letter Of A Word Capitalized In Every Single Word.

Come on, is it necessary to do that? My eye naturally reads a sentence even if it is spelled horribly "how u b fwend" or maybe it isn't complete or it doesn't make sense gramatically, but not when you do that. :I

Night Owl

~Momentai
I try to be as grammatically correct as I can be. However, sometimes I will abbreviate occasionally.
Usually it is just for fun or I don't feel like typing it out completely. I only use lol, gtg, brb, or nm if I use that kind of language.

I've learned to try to tame the grammar nazi in me.

Dan

I used to do it quite a bit when I was younger, I suppose it can be excused when phones didn't have QWERTY keyboards, because it was always rather frustrating typing on those, although after a while you do get used to it. "yo m8 wanna go 2 the store" is actually called text language here because you know, phones and text. I don't really expect to see people using it when they have a full keyboard in front of them, i find it pretty annoying but it's been years since I been in contact with anyone that uses "text language". I don't mind common internet abbreviations like "lol" "rofl" etc. It's become widely accepted, I'd rather people just stuck to common however, as a few people have forced my to fire up urban dictionary for a couple.

At the end of the day I don't find either that hard to translate, so I'm hardly going to force someone to stop using it for my benefit. (Although that may actually benefit many other people ;p) Always remember as lnog as the frsit and lsat ltetres are in paalce of ecah wrod the hmuan bairn can easily ttsnalare it :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom