• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Cawlin Love Letter Side Quest

In a point in Skyward Sword, you can do a sidequest involving Cawlin, which is one of Groose's side kicks. He is in love with a girl at the knight academy name Karane. He wrote a love letter to her, and he asks Link to give it to her. But there are two options with this sidequest, you could give it to her, or there's another option. There's is this hand in the restroom of the knight academy that needs paper. Now Cawlin says not to give his love letter to that guy in the restroom. So you can either give it to the hand, or to Karane. Now personally I hate Cawlin to death. So I give it to the hand in the toilet, and ruin his love life. What option do you do with him? And do you like these types of sidequest, where you can do different options?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
You give the letter to her, but she ends up rejecting Cawlin and dating that Pitpit guy instead.

1.) *Pipit

2.) That's not what he was asking...

I ended up giving the letter to Karane, because I felt it was the right thing to do. The hand just creeped me out, honestly. These types of side quests aren't bad by any means, but I don't particularly care for them in the end.

Fig

The Altruist
I really wanted to help Cawlin out even if he was a jerk to me. So when he told me to give it to his crush, I really wanted to give it to her. I was very nervous if she would accept his token of affection, but as soon as she finished reading the letter, she told me that she was in love with Pipit. All of a sudden, Pipit appears from nowhere and tells her how he feels about her. When I saw Cawlin crying because Karane chose Pipit over him, I also wanted to cry as well. As much as people may know me, Cawlin is more of a man than I will ever be. He was able to give his crush a letter, letting her know that he likes her, while my letter is still at home, never to be given to her since she is now gone from my high school. I may not like antagonists in the game, but I sure as heck know how a love struck character feels like. Them feels really impact you, especially when you wish you had the courage to do something similar in real life.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I gave my love letter to Cawlint o profess my unrelenting love for the guy. Just kidding. Karane and Cawlin don't belong together, sorry. Karane is much more suited to Pipit. HOWEVER, I know what it's like being a big blob of unattractiveness. I'm black after all. So, I gave the love letter to Cawlin in the end, not out of pity but because I know it realyl sucks and I don't want anyone - even video game characters - to have to deal with that stuff. :(

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I always give Cawlin's letter to Karane. Although he is quite rude towards Link, I feel that giving the letter to Karane is the right thing to do. As for your second question, I do like quests like this, where they give you two options. I like getting the option of how to respond, or how to act. It makes the experience more real for me.

Salem

SICK
You get the same reward regardless who you give the love letter.

WHAT? How come there isn't any other paper Link can give the hand?

Twilight King

The Actual Hero of Time
Ever since I played MM, I've been a softie for ???, so most times when I play through SS, I give ??? the letter and watch it fall in love with Cawlin, which makes me laugh.

ThrawnTheater

Hylian Grand Admiral
I cannot be the only one who has done both, can I? First time though, I gave it to the hand in the toilet. I hadn't played MM or OoX at the time of my first SS play-through, so this was my first encounter with the hand. I was too intrigued by the hand to give the letter to Karane.

I did enjoy this sidequest, and I feel that it could be expanded/improved upon in future titles. I imagine having to find some artifact stashed in a cave in the overworld, that two (or maybe more?) NPC's need for something (for example, something that they could use to build a weapon). And once you retrieve that item, you give it to who you wish, and you'll get something different depending on who you gave it to.

DarkLink17

Well then
No matter what game ??? appears in, I always give the paper too them. I know it's not exactly the right thing to do, but it's not the boring thing to do either. I also did this because in the other games with the hand, if you give it the paper you get a much better prize in the end.

These types of sidequests are pretty fun, but I feel that they should be more complex, more involved. In a future game I'm hoping for a trading sequence that can branch off into different directions and have completely differing outcomes in the long run. So whatever choices you make affect the final item you receive.

PS. The first time I saw ??? in Majora's Mask, I freaked out and ran out of the room because I thought it was one of those things from the Dead Hand.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
My first playthrough I gave it to ???--I didn't think I had another choice =\ -- but my brother gave it to Karane. I liked the ending of giving the letter to Karane better, and every other playthrough after that, I end up giving the letter to her instead. I'm just too much of a hopeless romantic not to :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Like I mentioned in another thread I am currently replaying SS and am going to do it the opposite this time. I will give that hand the letter. I like the funny things in games even though of course in reality it would be heartbreaking to have something like this happen to you. These sidequests make things funnier and more enjoyable

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I gave it to Karane the first time, just cause I was hoping she would crush his lonely little heart! The second time, I gave it to ??? just to see how it plays out. The way I see it, Cawlin should be pretty freaking angry if you give ??? the letter.

I mean, either a broken heart or endless and traumatic nights? I would gladly take the prior.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I, uh, I actually gave it to the hand in the toilet. XD It wasn't out of a hatred for Cawlin or anything... more like... curiosity, I guess, hahaha. My second playthrough I gave it to Karane, though (again, not because I LIKED him... I just wanted to see what would happen the other way around ;)).

I think the only sidequest I took feelings into account was during the Peatrice sidequest. I actually felt bad for her there.

This should have been a poll! It would have been nice to know at a glance the top choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom