• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Call of Duty - Most Overrated Game of All Time?

Is It Or Not?

• Definitely.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Way.

• Yes And No.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Call of Duty is the most overrated game series ever made in my opinion. All of the games are exactly the same.The story that isn't even good, and the game play is identical to past games. In reviews that I have seen, the CoD games would always get near perfect scores. I have seen scores like 9.75, 8.75, 9.5, 9, and even a 10/10. Let me talk about the game play nature. The whole point of CoD is to shoot people, that is basically it. In story mode you have to get to the goal or whatever. The story mode is just linear, you hide behind objects for cover every 5 seconds , shoot the terrorists that are in front of you, kill them all,go forward and repeat. The game play gets extremely repetative and is boring. The people at my school that play CoD says that the story mode is horrible, so that proves no body doesn't care about the story, however everyone plays the multiplayer. The multiplayer is just as bad. The whole game is random.You can get killed by some one who is behind you, a grenade can explode by you out of nowhere, there is no skill involved. The people who play the game are extremely rude. They will talk about how much you suck, people are screaming and crying, the community is full of jerks. All of this happens in every single CoD game I have played and it is a fact that all of this is going to be in MW3. Unless you like to play bad games, don't play Call of Duty.:mad:

Last edited:

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Call of Duty to me a good game series, not the best but good. I have wasted countless hours on the multiplayer and i think it is fun. Now i do believe the game is overrated but it does have some aspects that makes it a good game series. Call of Duty's story needs improvement lets put it that way. I loved the Modern Warfare's Stories but the rest weren't that great. Black ops is a good example, i felt that the story sucked, sure it was about a guy that was a black op who was going crazy but to me i didnt like it. The multiplayer is where it is at, i feel that people wanted something different than Halo so they turned to Call of Duty. Now it has become so popular that some people are forced to enjoy it due to peer pressure. I like an respect the series but to me it is kind of overrated.

I don't let peer pressure get the better of me, I am a strong person. People constantly tell me to get an XBOX since they know I like games such as Zelda and Sonic (I wear shirts of them to school often). I keep saying no, because I hate Microsoft and a good amount of the COD "community" with a bloody passion. After a while, I start to increase my temper since I do have a thing against Microsoft that I'm not going to get into, and because there's been a good amount of COD fanboys who go crazy on me saying it's the best game ever, but they're in pure denial. If they think that game is the best ever, then they have clearly lost site of what a true gem of a game is.

My gems list: OoT/MM, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, and a few more. A lot of them must've played and loved those as kids, but now they just act like they're crap because of graphics and no online play. It's such a shame.

Jedizora

:right:
First things off: The first post, as well as many that followed, is heavily biased with Zelda. I answered yes and no. I do see a reason for it being overrated, but only in the newest release, and world at war. In other words, I hate Treyarch. But I can fit a whole thread with those complaints. I don't thing the modern warfarwe games, and I see a reason why everyone likes them.

EDIT: Same controls? It has good controls that work, and a FPS needs to have the same sort of controls. Thats why its a FPS!

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
First things off: The first post, as well as many that followed, is heavily biased with Zelda. I answered yes and no. I do see a reason for it being overrated, but only in the newest release, and world at war. In other words, I hate Treyarch. But I can fit a whole thread with those complaints. I don't thing the modern warfarwe games, and I see a reason why everyone likes them.

EDIT: Same controls? It has good controls that work, and a FPS needs to have the same sort of controls. Thats why its a FPS!

They usually are the same, which isn't a bad thing in this case. They're a little hard to figure out at first, but not by much.

Well, kind of. I compare it mainly to Zelda. There are other RPGs like Mario that I can also compare it to, but I just think Zelda is the more suitable choice here, mainly because this is a Zelda Forum, and Zelda typically has a deeper story and whatnot than Mario.

That statement is false. If you were to actually play any of those series you can easily tell which one is better. Bungie puts a lot more work into a Halo game then Treyarch or Infinity Ward does to a Call of Duty game. Halo is much more then an FPS. Each game shows constant improvement and has a huge story to follow with characters that we've known and loved for ten years now. Call of Duty was nothing special to begin with and all of the sudden it gets big when Modern Warfare comes out. The characters are crap and the story sucks. The gameplay can also use improvements. It's just another generic war game. Then World at War comes out and doesn't even improve on anything. It actually sucks even more then the last one. Copy and paste with new maps and another poor story with new guns. That's all the Call of Duty series is. And once again another Call of Duty game comes out another year later but it's still the same thing. Same goes with Black Ops, but this time people say that the story is good but I can't even believe them because they are just cheap gamers who just play nothing but Call of Duty and have probably just experienced a story that wasn't as bad as the last games. The only thing that makes Call of Duty big is the damn online multiplayer. People don't give a damn for the core experience of the game. They just want to earn cheap kills and say it's the best thing ever and defend it by saying that it's realistic and that Halo is stupid. I can understand if sci fi isn't there thing or if the game is too hard for them because you have to work for your kill. But that doesn't mean it's stupid. A game being realistic doesn't mean it's good. Because I know way better games that are of quality and realistic. It's called Rainbow Six and Battlefield. But that doesn't mean a damn thing, it's all about the online. Call of Duty's fan base is full of cheap "gamers" that only play Call of Duty and nothing else. What sickens me the most on top of the games sucking is that they charge you money for more maps for something that comes out every damn year. I have officially developed a hate for Call of Duty because of it's low quality, it's blind fan base, and because of Activision's money hungry ways. The series has potential but it never reaches it. It stays in the same place every year.

i'm not saying that one of them is better than the other, from what i've seen there are people giving Halo way more credit than it actually deservesi see Halo almost everywhere i look, just about every comment box on Youtube whether the vide is related to Halo or not, people wanting Master Cheif in the next Smash Bros. when clearly Nintendo won't put him in, there have been people on certain forums accusing me of beig a female just because i'm not too much into Halo, that's how bad it's gotten

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Hey, I've never been into any Xbox games in general, or Sony. My siblings had a PlayStation 2, Xbox, etc. for years, but since I was little I always loved Nintendo. It was rare for me to enjoy a non-Nintendo console. It has a special place in my heart that will never be moved.

And that's another reason why I made this whole topic. I'm sick of COD Fanboys telling me that my games suck, it's kind of the same thing with Windows fan boys. They constantly say that what you play/use sucks, but give no reason whatsoever. But they're legends in their own minds, so to them, they don't need reasons.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
i'm not saying that one of them is better than the other, from what i've seen there are people giving Halo way more credit than it actually deservesi see Halo almost everywhere i look, just about every comment box on Youtube whether the vide is related to Halo or not, people wanting Master Cheif in the next Smash Bros. when clearly Nintendo won't put him in, there have been people on certain forums accusing me of beig a female just because i'm not too much into Halo, that's how bad it's gotten

Idiot fans doesn't make it overrated. The series deserves all the credit it's been given. Reason being, because Bungie worked their *** off to give us an amazing universe. The Halo theme is amazing, Master Chief is an awesome character, the first game changed FPS for the better(and that's a fact), each game takes time and effort to make and actually improves each time, etc. Like I said before, Halo is more then just some FPS.

It angers me when people shoot down such an amazing series like Halo because of the ignorant side of the fan base that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Idiot fans doesn't make it overrated. The series deserves all the credit it's been given. Reason being, because Bungie worked their *** off to give us an amazing universe. The Halo theme is amazing, Master Chief is an awesome character, the first game changed FPS for the better(and that's a fact), each game takes time and effort to make and actually improves each time, etc. Like I said before, Halo is more then just some FPS.

It angers me when people shoot down such an amazing series like Halo because of the ignorant side of the fan base that doesn't know what they're talking about.
I was never into Halo either, but it always seemed better than COD to me. They're making another Halo now, but for a while, Bungie stopped making them to preserve its integrity, which was smart. Unlike COD, which they've milked to the point where the milk is starting to turn sour.

i'll take your word for it i because i can understand how that is (the Sonic fanbase comes to mind) but don't get me wrong, i never had anything against Halo, in fact i like what the game has done (though honestly i've only played Halo 2 and Reach) and it succeeds in it's potential, there's just too many...how can i put this, negitive fans, and they're probably the reason why i've been given the illusion that the series is overrated, because where i live at there's almost thousands of those kinds of fans, so i appologize for offending any Halo fans

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
i'll take your word for it i because i can understand how that is (the Sonic fanbase comes to mind) but don't get me wrong, i never had anything against Halo, in fact i like what the game has done (though honestly i've only played Halo 2 and Reach) and it succeeds in it's potential, there's just too many...how can i put this, negitive fans, and they're probably the reason why i've been given the illusion that the series is overrated, because where i live at there's almost thousands of those kinds of fans, so i appologize for offending any Halo fans

I still enjoyed Halo more than I ever did COD. It at least had more of a story, and doesn't have as many games. I still never liked it, though. To this day, most of the games I play are older ones still.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Call of Duty, to me... is very dull and uninteresting.

I have friends who absolutely love the Call of Duty games, but i don't see how they can. I want to play a game that has a good plot with rich characters, not an On-Rails Shoot-'em-up with no backbone or story to support the action. I feel like all X-Box is is a Call of Duty console. And I get that "The X-Box has great graphics", but since when do graphics make or break a game? Games like Zelda have a great storyline that changes in some way from game to game, rich characters, lots of content, and they're overall great games.

Another thing I love to do as a gamer is theorize and speculate. Can you theorize in a Call of Duty game? The answer to that riddle is "no". I think a game is truly great when it leaves just little things open to the imagination, like how the characters sound (in games with no voice acting), why things are where they are, why certain events happened, etc. With Call of Duty, you know what's gonna happen, they have voice acting and it's the same "Shoot-People-For-The-Hell-Of-It" game that I absolutely can't stand!!

I voted "Definitely", and I think you all can see why.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
While Zelda remains as my 2nd favorite game series (the Halo trilogy being 1st), I must say I am also a fan of CoD. Yes, it is overrated, but it is still a very fun game. The multiplayer is very fun, and a good time killer, while the Campaigns are also very fun, and epic at points (MW2 especially). My only real serious problem with the series is Treyarch. All Treyarch does is take the most recent InfinityWard CoD game, change the story/time period, and make a game out of it. In other words, Black Ops is a cheap MW2 rip-off. But it still manages to get an unneccesary amount of hype!

Definetly overrated. This is why I hate games like this. It was good originally, but then they gutted any soul it had and made it a clone of itself and then cloned it again and so on just to make more money. I want to go into video game development. If I idd that, I'd make games with soul. Not cheap, overpriced Fps' that theyy overuse and clone just to make more moeny. This series is way overrated, and has millions of brainwashed minions. I can appreciate the gameplay, but when you clone something repeatedly it's just annoying.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Call of Duty, to me... is very dull and uninteresting.

I have friends who absolutely love the Call of Duty games, but i don't see how they can. I want to play a game that has a good plot with rich characters, not an On-Rails Shoot-'em-up with no backbone or story to support the action. I feel like all X-Box is is a Call of Duty console. And I get that "The X-Box has great graphics", but since when do graphics make or break a game? Games like Zelda have a great storyline that changes in some way from game to game, rich characters, lots of content, and they're overall great games. Sometimes it's good to enjoy a story for what it is.

Another thing I love to do as a gamer is theorize and speculate. Can you theorize in a Call of Duty game? The answer to that riddle is "no". I think a game is truly great when it leaves just little things open to the imagination, like how the characters sound (in games with no voice acting), why things are where they are, why certain events happened, etc. With Call of Duty, you know what's gonna happen, they have voice acting and it's the same "Shoot-People-For-The-Hell-Of-It" game that I absolutely can't stand!!

I voted "Definitely", and I think you all can see why.

Not all games need to be silent with mystery. Is mystery good sometimes? Yes. Do all games need it? No. As for voice acting. It's very much needed. You keep comparing Zelda to games of today but it doesn't make sense. I understand that you like Zelda but not all games need to be that way. Zelda is a very special series and it's too late to give Link a voice. We know him as silent and Nintendo's goal is for us to be Link. Some people like their characters well to have character and that's what makes us like them. Part of that would be having a voice. And also, people like to enjoy stories without the mystery and all that stuff. Like I said before, Zelda is a special series, it can do that because it's not one huge saga. It's just many different games with many connections and throwbacks to previous titles. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy a good story for what it is.

As for this Call of Duty and XBOX stuff. No, just no. Call of Duty is also on Playstation 3 and on Wii you know. It's just more popular with the other two obvious consoles because of it's online support. Don't go shooting down a console and telling lies over a stupid company with stupid developers. And graphics are important to video games. It's called improvement. The Wii may not be as powerful then an XBOX or PS3 but Nintendo knows how to make games look good for what they got. Take a look at Skyward Sword. Just look at how smart they were when it came to choosing an art style for the game. They chose that art style so that the game could look good on a console that isn't that powerful. Graphics are an important factor in video games and is what makes them master pieces. Is it the first thing you look for in a game? No, but doesn't mean it's not important. Plus anyway, the XBOX is a whole lot more original then the PS3. So don't go shooting them down because of lame series that doesn't even belong to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom