• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Bug Hunting, is It a Waste?

bobenstien

"How should I kill you?"
Bug Hunting, is it a waste? I think it is, except in Faron, because that is when you finally!!!! Meet your true self! But once you start it in Eldin providince, it gets really really, really, really, really, BORING!!

I thing golden bugs is a waste too. I don't think the magic armor is worth the 599 rupees.

I have never captured all of the golden bugs.:triforce:

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Bug Hunting...you mean the Golden Bug sidequest? Yes, I believe it is entirely a waste because the reward at the end isn't useful at all unless you're using a specific piece of gear in a certain gauntlet.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Overall I think it was sort of purposeless. The reward for gathering all the bugs was the biggest wallet in the game, and...well, you didn't really need that to start or end with, due to there being too few things to purchase. Nonetheless it was a decent activity for one to go off on while they felt like doing nothing else. That was Nintendo's first attempt at 3D bug-catching, after all, but they've pretty much perfected that in Skyward Sword.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I think he means teh search for the tears of light, looking for the Twilit bugs.

And no, it wasn't boring. It gave you a feel of the land before you really needed to know about it.

If you are referring to golden bug hunting, then no, that wasn't either. I mean, say you have magic armor, which consumes rupees. you want to carry as many rupees as possible for maximum invincibility, right?

SirBeta

Beta is βetter.
I think it's worth it. You need the larger wallet for the magic armor (and if you're doing a 100% run). But the main reason you should do it is, although your wallet is constantly full, if you need to buy a lot of things that cost a lot of money, you've got an easy way to make quick money. It especially helps the times where you need to donate 1,000 rupees.

bobenstien

"How should I kill you?"
Bug Hunting...you mean the Golden Bug sidequest? Yes, I believe it is entirely a waste because the reward at the end isn't useful at all unless you're using a specific piece of gear in a certain gauntlet.

No, I mean the tears of light thing. The golden bugs are a waste too.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yeah, the tears of light thing was a waste too. It was basically just Nintendo trying to put a different palette on the game world, nothing more. I found it terribly boring, especially after a first playthrough. Still, it was quite exhilarating to do so the first time around!

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
Well the twilight tears was pointless and boring. The idea was good, but it was way to easy and just boring killing those bugs. In Skyward Sword though they did a great job with the tears there. If Twilight Princess bug hunting was more like the silent realm in Skyward Sword then it would have been cool

As for the bug side quest I did not mind it. The wallet upgrades are a great thing to have because you can then spend tons of money and save up. It wasn't all that hard to find them and it was kind of cool about how they were hidden everywhere. As for the prize, it was great!! Getting 50 to 100 rupees for small bugs that were not all that hard to find. YES PLEASE!! It was impossible to do the Malo Mart Side quest or getting the magic armor without the bugs.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
The tears of light thing did get very tedious. But hey, nintendo cant really just have you do that for one area of twilight, and then just be like "oh you dont have to do that anymore"

And the golden bugs are a sidequest. saying its purposeless is like saying hunting poes, the cave of ordeals, and getting pieces of hearts are purposeless. Are they necessary for the game? not at all, but that doesnt mean theyr purposeless. They do have a reward, and even if the reward isnt very good, you still get something in the end. What would zelda be without sidequests?

I actually liked both bug hunts, sure, TP has stronger points than tears of light, but all games have up and downs, I really liked the golden bugs, I'd never make it through the Cave of Ordeals without 'em

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i just get whatever bugs i happen to come across. the bigger wallet is nice but i don't worry too much after that. if i come across some bugs to sell for some easy money, great, but won't go too much out of my way to get them all

ChuChuOfTime

Fish. Citizen of Foo
Tears of light force you to explore the areas they're in which is both helpful for beating the game as well as just being fun to explore.
Golden bugs are just there to add more to the game, but a bigger wallet is nice for the magic armor, plus it's better than the reward for the gold skulltulas in OOT

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
If you were talking about finding all the golden bugs for Agitha, I quite enjoyed that sidequest. Hearing the little wind chime-like noise as I walked near a bug was soothing, and I liked to see all the bugs flying around in Agitha's house once you caught them. I found it a neat little entertaining thing to do when wandering around for fun. I don't recall the rewards for this sidequest as amazing, though I think it was helpful in financing Malo's store in castle town. Overall I pretty much found finding the bugs as its own reward. :bleh:

As for the bugs that had to do with the tears of light, I think by the time I got to the Lanayru province it felt a bit old because it felt too similar to Faron. The big bug mini-boss made it somewhat interesting at the end, and having to fly the twili bird up the river was also interesting, but not quite enough to compensate for the sameness. I think it was best done in Kakariko though, just because of the variety in the hiding places.
And who could forget when you blew up the bomb storage building? I loved that. :xd:
Overall, it could have been done better but personally I didn't find it that bad.

P

pokezelda

i wouldn't say its a waste of time but i toke me forever to find them all

I don't think it's a waste of time because the golden bugs give you rupees and rupee upgrades, and the twilight bugs will progress the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom