• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Brave!

Pixar? Medieval fantasy? Celtic? Hot redheaded female protagonist with lots of freckles? Yes please!

(I dunno if it will trump Wall-E or Toy Story 3 as my favorite Pixar films, but it looks glorious.)

Seen a trailer for it and it looks decent but I may just wait for a cheap dvd deal to watch it. Doesn't look worth the price of a cinema ticket from what I've seen.
Is it ever really in question whether or not a Pixar movie is good, though? I mean I suppose plenty of people don't like Pixar (I have no idea if that includes you or not), but every single Pixar movie is generally beloved by most people, and end up being critically acclaimed, so I guess doubt as to whether or not it will be good is confusing to me.

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
Seems like it'll be a cute movie. I love how most of the comments on youtube are like "Katniss Gingerdeen" or "Katniss has met her match" or "Did anyone else think of the hunger games?"

Just because two female archers come along at about the same time doesn't mean they copied each other (though, everyone in the comments thinks "Brave" is copying the Hunger Games. But if you look at the facts, Hunger Games book came out about 06-08 range, Brave's production started in 2008) I never heard of this movie until now, thanks for sharing, Zanzibar. c:

Seems like it'll be a cute movie. I love how most of the comments on youtube are like "Katniss Gingerdeen" or "Katniss has met her match" or "Did anyone else think of the hunger games?"

Just because two female archers come along at about the same time doesn't mean they copied each other (though, everyone in the comments thinks "Brave" is copying the Hunger Games. But if you look at the facts, Hunger Games book came out about 06-08 range, Brave's production started in 2008) I never heard of this movie until now, thanks for sharing, Zanzibar. c:

Thats why I made this thread. ;)

Let me tell, some of my faith in Pixar was shaken with Cars 2. Brave, however, looks to be a manifestation of everything great the company represents. The trailer had me absolutely thrilled. This is a new, grittier, less childish approach to movie making for the company. I don't think I've been more excited for an animated movie since Toy Story 3 and that speaks for itself as I am a huge fan of that specific movie genre.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I'm hoping that it will be good. I've never really been too disappointed with Disney/Pixar films. They are usually the ones I look forward to the most.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Let me tell, some of my faith in Pixar was shaken with Cars 2.

I guess it was sort of an eventuality that someone would mention Cars 2. I've heard a good deal about it breaking Pixar's winning record and making people lose trust on them, and that's understandable, I've sort of been thinking the same from time to time. Though, if we look at the positive side it's one not-so-acclaimed piece of work after almost 20 years of magically avoiding drops in quality (at least in the critical sense). It's probably too soon to determine whether they've "lost their touch".

Now, I haven't actually seen Cars 2, but from what I've read so far the consensus seems to be that people came in expecting complex inner conflict ala Ratatouille or redemptive stories like Toy Story. That sounds like me saying I won't try milk any more because I wanted it to taste like orange juice; expectations seem to have played quite a role in that, but... well, that's just a quick observation.

I wouldn't take that too seriously. When something is insanely popular (like The Hunger Games), the most remotely similar aspects in something else are likely to draw comparisons. Some people do it as a sign of interest, some do it as a simple observation, others do it for kicks and maybe some do it as some form of bashing (I've never seen it myself, though). I doubt it'll be relevant in the long run.

In short: It looks pretty cool. I won't hold my expectations too high, though, just in case.

Last edited:
I love pixar films, wrote an essay explaining why they are among the finest in the industry when at college :P But I try not to allow a company name to influence my opinions on films (ever since seeing the third spiderman film) and I certainly don't like ALL pixar films. From what I've seen, it doesn't look brilliant and whilst I do trust pixar to make a good film I don't trust them enough to ignore my first impression.
I think that if a company shows enough consistency with what they do, then putting some level of faith into them is appropriate. Obviously this wouldn't include excusing flaws... but rather expecting there to not be flaws. That said, I can understand what you're saying. Makes sense.

Honestly Brave does look a little... odd... in some ways. Something about the trailer seemed off, so I dunno if it's going to be up to par with Pixar's best either. That said... trailers usually suck, so I dunno. I have a pretty open mind about it and generally trust Pixar.

I guess it was sort of an eventuality that someone would mention Cars 2. I've heard a good deal about it breaking Pixar's winning record and making people lose trust on them, and that's understandable, I've sort of been thinking the same from time to time. Though, if we look at the positive side it's one not-so-acclaimed piece of work after almost 20 years of magically avoiding drops in quality (at least in the critical sense). It's probably too soon to determine whether they've "lost their touch".

Now, I haven't actually seen Cars 2, but from what I've read so far the consensus seems to be that people came in expecting complex inner conflict ala Ratatouille or redemptive stories like Toy Story. That sounds like me saying I won't try milk any more because I wanted it to taste like orange juice; expectations seem to have played quite a role in that, but... well, that's just a quick observation.
Yeah I don't think Cars 2 is any indication of a bad trend... more like an inevitability. I've also yet to see it (or the original Cars, honestly), but to be frank I really doubt I'm going to dislike it, regardless of criticisms it's received.

I wouldn't take that too seriously. When something is insanely popular (like The Hunger Games), the most remotely similar aspects in something else are likely to draw comparisons. Some people do it as a sign of interest, some do it as a simple observation, others do it for kicks and maybe some do it as some form of bashing (I've never seen it myself, though). I doubt it'll be relevant in the long run.
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock into that stuff. It happens with just about every movie, and the reasons are about as varied as Sink said here. I've even seen people complain about Ringwraiths from Lord of the Rings being ripoffs of Dementors from Harry Potter... Apparently they're unware that Lord of the Rings is far older. :xd:

If you've ever seen The Emperors New Groove (which is one of my favourites), Cars 2 is the equivalent of it's sequel, Kronks New Groove. Taking a previously unimportant yet funny character and producing a film centred around him with the occasional funny moment but very little substance.
This is kind of why I don't take the criticisms of Cars 2 very seriously and still have an open mind about it, because I actually thought Kronk's New Groove was really good. As a general rule, Disney (not Pixar) sequels are not typically that good. Aladdin's sequels are a prime example. But I pretty much consider Kronk's New Groove to be the only good Disney sequel I've seen. It preserved a lot of elements from The Emperor's New Groove, just with a different character. If Cars 2 is like it, then I imagine I'll enjoy it.

It actually reminded me of a less fairytale version of Tangled from what I've seen. Strange really because I loved Tangled yet don't really like the look of Brave so far.
Tangled was a good movie, but it lacked the polish of most Pixar movies, I thought. I guess I can see some similarity in the clothing styles and the fact that it's a female protagonist, but I'm not sure I see what similarities there are aside from that.

Also, to address ALIT's original statement there...

A_LINK_IN_TIME said:
This is a new, grittier, less childish approach to movie making for the company.
I'm not sure I agree at all. Brave looks like it contains the same lightheartedness as all Pixar movies, it's just less obvious in the trailer. That said... when have Pixar movies actually been childish? Honestly most of them can be taken about as seriously as Brave looks like it will be. Hell, The Incredibles was actually a really dark movie.

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]

In short: It looks pretty cool. I won't hold my expectations too high, though, just in case.

I liked the Hunger Games BEFORE it was popular xD. Anyways it does look like a decent movie and I am not saying I'm overly excited, sure now just seeing I'd like to see it, I just think it'll be good. I won't hold my expectations very high. I did that with the Hunger Games. c:

I am super excited about Brave! After Pixar's first disappointment with Cars 2, I'm ready to see them get their groove back. It's cool to finally see a female lead character, and in a Scottish setting, no less. I can't help but see the similarities in Dreamworks' super successful How to Train Your Dragon, however, but I'm pretty sure these will get cast aside once the final version is released. Disney has been slacking lately, and I'm excited to see Brave this summer!

I really think I will enjoy it. Not only is it a Pixar movie, but it's also Disney, and considering how much I liked "Tangled" (made by Disney only, not Pixar) I predict that I will love this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom