• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Boat in Ph

I realize this is a two-month-old thread but I think I have something to add here that doesn't quite warrant a new thread:

They didn't improve on The Wind Waker's sailing. They improved on Sonic Rush Adventure's sailing.Think about the similarities:

You have a map that gradually expands over the course of the game. In PH it's because you find sea charts, while in SRA it's because you get better boats that go more places, but the basic concept is the same.

You draw your path on the map, and then the gameplay style shifts to a sort of sailing minigame (well, not "sailing" since all the all the craft are powered) as you follow the path you drew. The differences are that SRA has more than one boat and thus more than one gameplay style, and that in PH you can actually see where you are in the world. I think the PH version is an improvement.

You find new islands over the course of both games. Some of them are uncharted. Some of them are necessary to complete the game, and others aren't.

Both games let you upgrade your craft if you find parts. Personally, I think SRA's "materials" system and PH's unimpressive upgrades for the S.S. Linebeck were equally poorly thought out and both could have been really cool if they'd been more developed.

Both games feature annoying wannabe pirates with names that start with J as quasi-villains, but that may be pushing it and anyway it doesn't have much to do with boat mechanics.

So... thoughts?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
The boat was actually the only thing I LIKED about PH, and I hoped they'd build on it in future titles... maybe with continents on either side, fewer islands, making your own map, speed upgrades, cargo shipping minigames, a bigger variety of ship weapons/items/armor, radar, underwater enemies, and more.

I guess I was the only one that liked it. :(

It might be because when I'm running around the sea, spotting islands, navigating fog, fighting monsters, boarding ships and being boarded, finding ship parts, charting courses, and using the Salvage Arm, my imagination runs wild with ideas about how many more things they could have done. The potential might be the thing getting me excited more than what's actually there.

Then again, maybe this stuff should be its own game, rather than something tacked onto a Zelda game.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
i didnt entirely lurve the boat but it had to be better than the train in spirit tracks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom