• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Biggest Problem?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
What was the biggest problem you had with SS? I'm expecting a lot of people will be griping about the motion, but my biggest pain is every time you resume a game, if you pick up a treasure, you have to watch a short clip in which you see Link blinking and you have to read about the treasure, and see where on your collection screen it goes. Anybody else?

MW7

What was the biggest problem you had with SS? I'm expecting a lot of people will be griping about the motion, but my biggest pain is every time you resume a game, if you pick up a treasure, you have to watch a short clip in which you see Link blinking and you have to read about the treasure, and see where on your collection screen it goes. Anybody else?
I'd actually consider that a smaller issue, but I'd also say that wins the award for being the most blatantly dumb design decision in the game. Didn't they hear anyone complain about how Twilight Princess tells you the value of rupees? And in the next game they greatly expand upon the problem because it goes from happening with 4 or 5 denominations of rupees to nearly 30 treasures and bugs. They either should have left it out of the game or gave you an option to turn it off.

Another little problem that seemed very dumb to me was that you couldn't skip cutscenes in normal mode. Twilight Princess lets you skip cutscenes even on the first playthrough so there's no excuse that you don't have this option in Skyward Sword.

Finally my biggest complaint about the game was pointless boundaries. For instance I'm always looking for alternative routes and solutions to things in Zelda games and Skyward Sword had much less of this than is present in other Zelda games. The game designers even went out of their way in some cases to take away player choice. Fi stops you if you try to go to the hot caves leading to the Fire Sanctuary without the Fireshield Earrings. The problem with this is that you can buy a guardian potion plus which should have rendered the Fireshield Earrings skippable (because all the heat does is damage you and you can't be damaged with a guardian potion plus consumed). However the game was designed so that you are forced to get an item that logically shouldn't be required. That is one of many slaps in the face to old-school fans of Zelda that were done with no positive benefits for making that design decision.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The fact that there were so many cool ideas that were confided to one portion of the game. Things like the "padlocks" as I call them. Those things that you have to hit in four directions. That was one of the coolest things in the game, and they only used it twice. And returning to the dungeons. They made it seem like we'd be returning to multiple dungeons and visit areas previously blocked off in them. Nope, one dungeon and trekking through the same areas. Pretty sad that they didn't capitalize on things like these. Hopefully they won't make that mistake in the future.

Terminus

I'd actually consider that a smaller issue, but I'd also say that wins the award for being the most blatantly dumb design decision in the game. Didn't they hear anyone complain about how Twilight Princess tells you the value of rupees? And in the next game they greatly expand upon the problem because it goes from happening with 4 or 5 denominations of rupees to nearly 30 treasures and bugs. They either should have left it out of the game or gave you an option to turn it off.

Another little problem that seemed very dumb to me was that you couldn't skip cutscenes in normal mode. Twilight Princess lets you skip cutscenes even on the first playthrough so there's no excuse that you don't have this option in Skyward Sword.

Finally my biggest complaint about the game was pointless boundaries. For instance I'm always looking for alternative routes and solutions to things in Zelda games and Skyward Sword had much less of this than is present in other Zelda games. The game designers even went out of their way in some cases to take away player choice. Fi stops you if you try to go to the hot caves leading to the Fire Sanctuary without the Fireshield Earrings. The problem with this is that you can buy a guardian potion plus which should have rendered the Fireshield Earrings skippable (because all the heat does is damage you and you can't be damaged with a guardian potion plus consumed). However the game was designed so that you are forced to get an item that logically shouldn't be required. That is one of many slaps in the face to old-school fans of Zelda that were done with no positive benefits for making that design decision.

You hit pretty much all of them. And I agree with you on the TP thing. I REALLY hated that.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Air, Guardian and Stamina potions does not have 3rd level (++, two servings). Lazy developers, simple combination of bugs should be enough!

Non-Epic

Resident Cucco Kicker
Labrynna, because Hyrule is too mainstream.
The game design it self became infuriating. The exploration was mediocre at best. It always pointed you in just one direction,with such little freedom. Even in dungeons there was only one path it became very boring with little replay value.

Most of the items were regular traditional items, which is always great. But the new ones were overly gimmicky and weren't really used.

Yeah, hate to say it, but you guys hit the rest on the nail.

- Linearity
- No variety in mobs
- The overworld (surface & sky)
- The dungeon layout (I prefer larger dungeons opposed to short, compacted ones)
- There was no voice acting
- The bosses were too easy
- The description of the treasures reappearing if you turn the game off

A lot of these complaints are reflective of the entire series as well, not just specifically Skyward Sword.

MW7

The game design it self became infuriating. The exploration was mediocre at best. It always pointed you in just one direction,with such little freedom. Even in dungeons there was only one path it became very boring with little replay value.
I've thought about this a lot and actually the most nonlinear component of Skyward Sword seems to be the dungeons at least from my perspective. The overworld is really linear the first time you go through areas, and then they let you move around to collect things (kikwis, key pieces, and generators). So they don't let you explore the first time you see things, but then give you some freedom once you've seen everything. Even the some of the sidequests unlock sequentially. The dungeons actually range from extremely linear to fairly nonlinear which is surprising considering how the rest of the game was designed.

Lanayru Mining Facility, Ancient Cistern and Fire Sanctuary are all very linear- you can't really do much different in terms of the required content from playthrough to playthrough. However the rest of the dungeons offer at least a little freedom. When you go into the first water room of Skyview you can choose to tackle the left or right room first. In the Earth Temple, unlike the other dungeons in the game, the dungeon map isn't directly in your path to the end of the dungeon. You can get it whenever or skip the room it's in entirely. The Sandship gives you two objectives in the generators, and there are a variety of different orders in which you can tackle them. Also you can skip the map easily, and it saves a lot of time to do so. I spent a lot of time analyzing the dungeon, and my third playthrough was very different from my first thanks to the freedom offered in the dungeon. Sky Keep is just really nonlinear and it's easy to see that. These dungeons aren't incredibly nonlinear like Skull Woods in A Link to the Past or other dungeons from that game, but they seemed less linear overall than dungeons in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess at least and maybe Majora's Mask as well. Just my opinion though.

Overall dungeon linearity is getting pretty obvious though in the console games. If my memory serves me right there is literally one dungeon (Hyrule Castle in Twilight Princess) post-Ocarina of Time in which you can even carry more than one key at a time. The only other exception is that Majora's Mask lets you replay dungeons with keys reset so the dungeons become more nonlinear with items you didn't have the first time around (best example: play Snowhead with the hookshot and look for torches on ledges to hookshot).

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"princess" Zelda, the game's linearity, the enemy AI, how easy the game was, Fi...these are but many problems that make up the biggest problem: Skyward Sword itself. I won't go into detail, but to chalk it up short:

- I was disappointed
- Too many cool concepts with less than desirable execution.

Terminus

"princess" Zelda, the game's linearity, the enemy AI, how easy the game was, Fi...these are but many problems that make up the biggest problem: Skyward Sword itself. I won't go into detail, but to chalk it up short:

- I was disappointed
- Too many cool concepts with less than desirable execution.

I liked SS as a concept and as an execution, but yes, they didn't develop it as much as they could have. Fi is the robotic Navi.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Same problem, one of the few actual things in the game I disliked.
I also did not like the overworld very much, as there was not open spaces, exploration and any views to admire, but it's not something I feel as strongly about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom