• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Zelda Game?

Best Zelda Game (IYO)?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Ages

• Oracle of Seasons

• The Wind Waker

• Four Swords

• Four Swords Adventures

• The Minish Cap

• Twilight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Total voters

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
(I'm sorry if there is another thread like this, which there probably is, but I can't find a recent one.)

Ok, so what is the best Zelda game in your opinion? I personally say Ocarina of Time. Not because it's the mainstream thing to say, but because I legitimately believe it.

NOTICE: I made this a multiple choice poll in case anyone has two games at a tie.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I believe the overall best Zelda game is A Link to the Past. Why? Well I'm here to explain myself.There are four reasons why I think that A Link to the Past is the best Zelda, they are as follows, the gameplay, the story, and the dungeons and the items. I will try to explain each of these categories well, so you can understand where I am getting at. Now, I will start with game play.

The game play in A Link to the Past is great, it is smooth and nearly flawless. After the departure that was the Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past continued with the basics the first Zelda started. Alttp, however, took what the first Zelda did in terms of game play and made it better. It felt so great to play A Link to the Past because the controls and game play were so well fleshed out, it is seriously just wonderful to play. On top of that, A Link to the Past improved the combat system of the first, by adding new moves and made the sword much easier to use. I also forgot to mention the Dark World/Light World mechanic which was amazing and served as a first in the series. Overall the game play is very balanced and efficient, and Alttp shows off some of the best game play I have ever seen in a video game.

The next subject I want to talk about is the story, in the first two Zelda games the stories were pretty dull and were the average save the princess story. A Link to the Past however, made up for the last two games. A Link to the Past, when it comes down to it is still the average save the princess story, but they added so much depth into the story that you could see past the average dull story. A Link to the Past included some lore about the world you were playing in, which made you feel that this place has its own story and was not your average video game realm. Of coarse what I am refering to is the legend of about the Godesses and the Triforce. This is the first game to tell that legend and it was unique at the time. Another thing that added to Alttp's story was the characters in the world itself that told you more about Hyrule and about themselves, which was very unique at the time.

The third thing I want to talk about is the dungeons. The dungeons were very unique and added a bunch of new puzzles to solve. Dungeons in A Link to the Past were generally long and very difficult, the Ice Palace and Misery Mire come to mind. Many of the new puzzles relied on the items you gained in the previous dungeons and the item you gained in the dungeon. The developers added new mechanics to the dungeon, like the Boss key and multiple floors (like the Ice Palace). There are a total of 12 dungeons in A Link to the Past, the most in any Zelda game to date.

Now I am going to say this right now, I believe Alttp has some of the best items in any Zelda game, period. A Link to the Pasts' items were great, they had multiple uses, you constantly switching them to solve puzzles, and they were not just used in the dungeon you were found in. A Link to the Pasts items you gained by solveing puzzles in the overworld were some what flawed, mainly the defence items were largely flawed because they took up huge amounts of magic and generally served no purpose other than making you invulndrable for a short period of time. Other than some minor complaints, Alttps items were awesome! My favorites included the Fire Rod, Ice Rod, and the Hookshot.

I hope you can see why I believe that Alttp is the best Zelda game to date, although it is in a tie for first with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening in my favorite Zelda games list, it is still a very well thought out and amazing game, and still holds up to this day. I also believe that more Zelda games should follow A Link to the Pasts difficulty, overworld, and puzzle design. Well that's it for this time, if you read this far, thanks for reading and until next time folks.
-Tony

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I believe the overall best Zelda game is A Link to the Past. Why? Well I'm here to explain myself.There are four reasons why I think that A Link to the Past is the best Zelda, they are as follows, the gameplay, the story, and the dungeons and the items. I will try to explain each of these categories well, so you can understand where I am getting at. Now, I will start with game play.

The game play in A Link to the Past is great, it is smooth and nearly flawless. After the departure that was the Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past continued with the basics the first Zelda started. Alttp, however, took what the first Zelda did in terms of game play and made it better. It felt so great to play A Link to the Past because the controls and game play were so well fleshed out, it is seriously just wonderful to play. On top of that, A Link to the Past improved the combat system of the first, by adding new moves and made the sword much easier to use. I also forgot to mention the Dark World/Light World mechanic which was amazing and served as a first in the series. Overall the game play is very balanced and efficient, and Alttp shows off some of the best game play I have ever seen in a video game.

The next subject I want to talk about is the story, in the first two Zelda games the stories were pretty dull and were the average save the princess story. A Link to the Past however, made up for the last two games. A Link to the Past, when it comes down to it is still the average save the princess story, but they added so much depth into the story that you could see past the average dull story. A Link to the Past included some lore about the world you were playing in, which made you feel that this place has its own story and was not your average video game realm. Of coarse what I am refering to is the legend of about the Godesses and the Triforce. This is the first game to tell that legend and it was unique at the time. Another thing that added to Alttp's story was the characters in the world itself that told you more about Hyrule and about themselves, which was very unique at the time.

The third thing I want to talk about is the dungeons. The dungeons were very unique and added a bunch of new puzzles to solve. Dungeons in A Link to the Past were generally long and very difficult, the Ice Palace and Misery Mire come to mind. Many of the new puzzles relied on the items you gained in the previous dungeons and the item you gained in the dungeon. The developers added new mechanics to the dungeon, like the Boss key and multiple floors (like the Ice Palace). There are a total of 12 dungeons in A Link to the Past, the most in any Zelda game to date.

Now I am going to say this right now, I believe Alttp has some of the best items in any Zelda game, period. A Link to the Pasts' items were great, they had multiple uses, you constantly switching them to solve puzzles, and they were not just used in the dungeon you were found in. A Link to the Pasts items you gained by solveing puzzles in the overworld were some what flawed, mainly the defence items were largely flawed because they took up huge amounts of magic and generally served no purpose other than making you invulndrable for a short period of time. Other than some minor complaints, Alttps items were awesome! My favorites included the Fire Rod, Ice Rod, and the Hookshot.

I hope you can see why I believe that Alttp is the best Zelda game to date, although it is in a tie for first with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Link's Awakening in my favorite Zelda games list, it is still a very well thought out and amazing game, and still holds up to this day. I also believe that more Zelda games should follow A Link to the Pasts difficulty, overworld, and puzzle design. Well that's it for this time, if you read this far, thanks for reading and until next time folks.
-Tony

I see what you're saying, and you backed everything up very well, but I truly think Ocarina of Time improved on what A Link to the Past started in every way possible. For one, the story. Ocarina of Time had a far more in-depth opening. Even though A Link to the Past didn't just drop us into the game without an introduction, it's still somewhat stale compared to Ocarina of Time's. The story itself was also better executed. It flowed better in every way and had numerous surprises and twists in the game, not just the one in the transition from the first half to the second half of the game. Namely, the revelation of Sheik being Zelda. And it had the best ending in Zelda so far, especially with the unexpected split at the end of the game with Link leaving the time behind and returning to his own.

I believe the game-play was also much better. It introduced many new things that could never be achieved in 2D, such as the Targeting system, which allowed us to move around while locking onto our target. The combat was also greatly improved, as we could now slice at different angles rather than just a horizontal slice. Things like the Jump Attack, Sidestep, and Backflip were also introduced, allowing us to dodge quick attacks and get an advantage on an enemy's defenses (such as the Stalfos). The enemies also became more intelligent, some even having more moves, just as Link did. Horseback was also brought in, which easily became a fan-favorite. ALttP's game-play was revolutionary, but OoT perfected it.

The dungeons were also much better, as they were moved to 3D, allowing for much more diverse puzzles and dungeons themselves. True themes were also introduced to the dungeons, and each one was completely unique in atmosphere, puzzles, and enemies. One of the most notable would be the Forest Temple. It perfected the true sense of a themed dungeon with the first try, and the eeriness of the music completely amplified the feeling of the dungeon, harmonizing with it exceptionally. And then there was the Water Temple, which took full advantage of the new 3D aspect with it's four-way main room and a maze of puzzles. And the introduction to the Lens of Truth added a new aspect, making us have to use it to see certain things that either appeared to be there or were invisible. The dungeons in OoT were far better and more revolutionary than ALttP's.

Finally, the items in Ocarina of Time also took a step further than they were in ALttP. For example, things like the Bow and Hookshot were now able to be aimed in all directions and not just a straight-line shot. This feature with the Hookshot allowed us to not just grapple the things at a straight line, but things on top of the ceilings and at different heights on the walls. The Megaton Hammer also perfected the Hammer in ALttP, creating a shockwave as it hit the ground, flipping all (simple) enemies on the ground. And let's not forget things like Din's Fire and Nayru's Love, or the Iron and Hover Boots, along with the two new tunics. And the use of the Ocarina was taken to a complete new height, as we had numerous songs that did many different things, even making it rain. The items in OoT once again perfected that of ALttP.

All that to say, I think it's quite clear that OoT is the better game of it and ALttP. I respect opinion, but it just seems obvious to me that OoT is the better game, and the best of all the Zeldas so far.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. It perfected the Zelda formula that many games (even outside Zelda) use. It was the first "do-able" Zelda game. There were several dungeons to this game, and many of them were fun to play through. It also had many dungeons, which appeals to me. The final dungeon of the game, Ganon's Tower, is how I think a final dungeon should be done. It is also what I believe is the best Zelda dungeon. It was considerably lengthier and harder than the other dungeons in the game, and had this feel that it was testing you, like putting many of your items to use, and bringing back the Light World dungeon bosses.

The items were also great in this game. Several items to add to all the fun, and there were even items that were required that you didn't find in a dungeon (like requiring the Ice Rod to beat Trinexx, even though you can easily miss this item). A lot of the soundtrack in this game was brilliant, especially for its time back then. Graphics were also pretty visually appealing. It came up with the famous Master Sword, which many Zelda games feature, playing an important role in the plot (except in the Orcale games, where it has no relevance to the plot) even to this day, where they are creating a legend about the Master Sword (one of Skyward Sword's main objectives).

With all these in mind, I think it led directly to the development and production of Ocarina of Time, which is considered by many as the world's greatest game. To me, A Link to the Past deserves a greater compliment for this. This is why I think A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game. It defines Zelda for me.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Majora's Mask, of course. It takes the Zelda formula, and while remaining true to it, also turns it on its head. Exploration and adventuring? Sure, but you have to control time while you do it. Items? Sure, but you also have different races to control. Items that you get in one dungeon and never use again? Haha, nope. Just wait until the Stone Tower Temple.

Not to mention its story and atmosphere.

GustJar88

Links Secret Crush
You know...I have to refine mine.
I answered that by personal choice (it will never change...)
However I will agree here and say that ALTTP was the best Zelda game in the series.
Again, its what made me fall in love with series in the first place!
I enjoy the music, graphics and gameplay. Some will say it it outdated,
however some of the Bosses and puzzles can still be a challenge to complete.
Lets not forget the open exploration which is loads of fun as well!

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
I'm absolutely shocked that no one so far agrees that Link's awakening is the best. I loved every zelda game ive played, but links awakening had pretty interesting puzzles, a great story, especially for a gameboy game. It also had very memorable music. Beating the game gave me the best feeling I've ever felt from a game since I beat my first zelda, wind waker. since then, wind waker had been my favorite game, until i recently downloaded la for my 3ds, it is my favorite game of all time.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm absolutely shocked that no one so far agrees that Link's awakening is the best. I loved every zelda game ive played, but links awakening had pretty interesting puzzles, a great story, especially for a gameboy game. It also had very memorable music. Beating the game gave me the best feeling I've ever felt from a game since I beat my first zelda, wind waker. since then, wind waker had been my favorite game, until i recently downloaded la for my 3ds, it is my favorite game of all time.

I think you're getting confused between what is best and which is your favorite. As many people do. There's a big difference between what is best and what is one's personal favorite. For example, my favorite game of all time is Twilight Princess, yet it's 3rd on my list of the best Zelda games.

Earthtemple

The Windfish's Therapist
I think you're getting confused between what is best and which is your favorite. As many people do. There's a big difference between what is best and what is one's personal favorite. For example, my favorite game of all time is Twilight Princess, yet it's 3rd on my list of the best Zelda games.

I think links awakening is the best game. It wasnt too hard and it wasnt too easy, there were no boring parts, and it had great music and story. In my opinion, no other zelda game has accomplished all of those things. I think a link to the past is the closest second, but in my opinion the story was lacking. I think links awakening is the best combination of all of the things that makes zelda great.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think links awakening is the best game. It wasnt too hard and it wasnt too easy, there were no boring parts, and it had great music and story. In my opinion, no other zelda game has accomplished all of those things. I think a link to the past is the closest second, but in my opinion the story was lacking. I think links awakening is the best combination of all of the things that makes zelda great.

Ok, now I believe you. When you say it like that, it's much more clear as to what you mean. ;D

Glad to see A Link to the Past near the top of the votes!
For me, it's a toss up between A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. I think these are the two most influential Zelda games that shaped the future of the series. In my book, Ocarina of Time is the best game of all-time, but A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game because it's the perfect Zelda game and has every element you expect from a Zelda game. It has also stood the test of time and is as fun to play today as it was when it was released.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I'd say Twilight Princess for a lot of reasons.
One, you have the fact that you can change into a wolf at anytime. You can also warp to get to places faster. Also, new items are brought in like the Ball and Chain and the Spinner. You also have the ability to aim with the Wii remote.
I, personally, like lots of bosses and Twilight Princess is tied with ALttP for the most bosses (which is 12). Twilight Princess is also the only Legend of Zelda game where you fight a boss underwater. It's also the only Legend of Zelda game with a City in the Sky.
There's also the whole idea of the twilight realm and that you have revert the world back to light.
Great graphics also add to this game.

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
I'm sooooo happy this poll was multiple choice. I had to pick six games, three that I thought were the best, and three of my favorites.

I'll start with my three "favorite" picks. They were: LA, TP and PH. I enjoyed all of these games and I can just keep coming back and playing them and there a lot of fun things to do in all of them. Kind of a personal opinion so its hard to explain :P

Now the three I picked as the best. They were ALttP, OoT and WW. I think these three games revolutionized Zelda in their own ways. ALttP was the first "traditional" Zelda and had the first appearence of many things we see in many of the newer titles. I picked OoT because it was the series jump into 3D and also expanded on the ideas of ALttP (and added new ones). The last game I deemed as "best" was tWW. It had many good things and I feel was just a very good game all around.

So there you go. I guess I kind of cheated but whatever :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom