• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Videogame for Each Genre

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
:cool:New thread!!!!!!!!!!!
So, I searched through some of the older threads to see if something like this was posted, but so far I haven't found anything (Well, technically I did find some that were like "what was your favorite...whatever?). But, this thread is different! By any chance though if there is a thread like this hidden somewhere, can someone remove this topic? :)

Anyway, I was searching through Wikipedia earlier (because I was THAT bored) and I found a list of video game genres. For some reason, it gave me an idea to start a thread about what you think is the best action game, RPG, etc. you've ever played. I guess you can say its like the Video Game Awards...only better. So, what do you think is the:

Most addictive videogame-
best action game-
best RPG game-
best Shooter game (can be 1st person or 2nd person)-
best fighting game-
best action adventure game-
best survival horror-
best stealth game-
best platformer game-
best PC-
Overall best female and male character (it can be from anywhere)-

:kawaii: Zelda can't be included though, sorry guys. And if you want, you can explain why you think that particular game was the greatest. I'll post what I think later.

Last edited:

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Best RPG: Kingdom Hearts
The story is awesome and you get to experience it really good throughout the whole game. Plus there is a little action in it too.

Last edited:

VergilDante100

Legendary Dark Knight
And the nominees are, nah just kidding here's my picks for the following three categories.

Best Action Adventure Game - Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Best Platformer - Super Mario Galaxy
Best First Person Shooter - Unreal Tournament 2003

Most addictive videogame- Red Dead Redemption
Best RPG game- Lost odyssey (I never completed it however, because my 360 died and got rid of the console and all of my games)
Best fighting game- Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Best survival horror- Resident Evil 4

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
Most addictive videogame - Zelda Ocarina of Time
best RPG game - Zelda A link to the Past (If it counts)
best Shooter game - 007 Goldeneye
best fighting game - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
best action adventure game - Zelda Ocarina of Time
Overall best female and male character
Male - Link
Female - Samus

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Most Addictive: Halo Reach-Halo Reach is all the rage now so me being a huge Halo fan is obvious. I am currently hooked.

Best FPS: Halo Combat Evolved-Combat Evolved, Nuff Said.

Best Online Experience: Halo Reach-Same as first.

Best Sandbox: Saint's Row 2 or Grand Theft Auto IV (Very tough)-Saint's Row 2 offered a lot in the customization department and in options but GTA IV offered a very different experience with a very alive city with a more realstic feel.

Best Adventure: Metroid Fusion-This was my first Metroid game I ever played and owned and it also got me into Metroid. This was a very great game and certainly on my top three out of all the other Metroid titles. And was also my second choice because Ocarina of Time would of been here.:cry:

Best Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy-You must be crazy if you thought Mario wouldn't make into my list. I haven't played Galaxy 2 so I chose the first one. This was another addicting game and is one of Mario's best. Nintendo always does right when it comes to that plumber.

Best Stealth Game: Splinter Cell Conviction (Haven't played it but pretty sure)-Splinter Cell is no doubt one of the best Stealth series out there now. And Conviction is the latest one and did something different for what the series was and pulled it off from what I've seen and heard.

Best Survival Horror: Resident Evil Remake-This is an instant Classic. It took a great game and made it one hundred times better. This is one of the best Gamecube games or game period out there.

Best Beat em up: Streets of Rage 2-I passed this game so many times that I have developed a two or more year streak. That should say something about it.

Best Fighter: Super Smash Bros Brawl-When you bring all of Nintendo's greatness into one fighter and put so many little references to their older games even if it is all of the welly done music and stages you get Smash Bros. One of the best fighters of all time. It's so unique and different from your typical fighting game.

Best Racing: Mario Kart Wii-Mario Kart from the beginning was a terrific idea. It had racing, Mario, and action. What's not to love? And this is why the latest installment of the series takes this prize, because of already being great, it added a better experience with the wheel.

Best Action Game: Resident Evil 4-When Resident Evil 4 was first revealed it was obvious that the Resident Evil formula changed. It also wasn't a bad choice. This wasn't as scary as the others but had a good pace and a good amount of fear. I want Resident Evil to stay this way but with Zombies and more puzzles and back tracking with a whole lot more scary moments while still being co-op. Resident Evil 5 departed the most from all the rest, but for now, Resident Evil 4 is the best. No one knows action like Leon S. Kennedy.

Best Third Person Shooter: Gears of War-This was a very well done shooter that has some dark elements and had some interesting weapons like two of my new favorites, the Lancer and the Hammer of Dawn. It also had it's very cool action moments and had very good story that is now leading into a great trilogy.

Now as for Characters... This is very hard...

Male: Master Chief-Pure Badassness and Awesomeness. Everytime He speaks he says something cool with a very cool fitting voice (Just like Batman) And everytime he does something it's always cool and pure awsomeness.

Female: Samus Aran-Apart from having very great games, she is an inspiration to all women. After all, she was the first videogame heroine.

Thanks Lady Yuna, you robbed me of my Zelda!!!:P

Last edited:

Zarom

The King
Most addictive videogame: Tetris
Best action game: Metroid Prime
Best RPG game: Pokemon (not any particular game, but maybe Gold/Silver)
Best Shooter game: Perfect Dark
Best fighting game: Super Smash Bros Brawl
Best action adventure game: Zelda Majora's Mask
Best strategy game: Starcraft 2
Best platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario Bros 3
Overall best female and male character: Link and Samus

That's my opinion.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Alright, here's my list. I've removed some Genre's that I generally don't play/haven't beaten more than one example of. And why aren't platformers on the list? :( And why would characters be in a best video game list? :?

Most Addictive Game- EarthBound
Best Platformer- Super Mario Galaxy 2
Best RPG (by the way, "RPG Game" is redundant because RPG stands for "Role Playing Game" and basically, by saying "RPG Game" you're literally saying "Role Playing Game Game")- EarthBound
Best Fighting Aame- Super Smash Bros Brawl
Best Action Adventure Game- Metroid: Zero Mission
Overall Best Female Character- Hinawa (Mother 3)
Overall Best Male Character- Lucas (Mother 3)

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I'd like to say that these are all opinions!! And have changed the titles to show this... >.>

videogame most addicted to - Advance Wars
Seriously when I played this game I was unproductive for weeks. The game has insane replay value with random maps and linked games, and the best part was that the multi player versus didn't require a link cable or second game or gamboy advance!!!!

favorite RPG game- Golden Sun
Great graphics for the GBA, portable which made its play all the more common and the gameplay really is the winner here. It isn't a lot of luck with critical hits and there was a real strategy to it because of the Djinn that you could find and utilize throughout the game. It beat the contemporary FF's and Pokemon's for sure. The game also had a great story which, again, I think beats its competitors of the time.

favorite shooter game (can be 1st person or 2nd person)- Call of Duty 5: World at War
For me this game was more real than the modern warefare's. The realistic environment and locations/environment really took me into the game in a way modern shooters cannot. btw, I played this one on PC. Gameplay pwns. No beating it.

most addictive: Tetris. I think we can all say we've gotten addicted to tetris at least once in our lives. and rightfully so, you can theoretically play tetris forever. not only that, but you could also never get bored with it

best platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 2. i was really on the fence of whether or not to give this to super mario world, but then i figured that the only real reason i would prefer is because i always used to play this game in my childhood, and nostalgia is not a good reason to call a certain game better than another

best RPG: Chrono Trigger. it easily destroys any other RPG i've ever played. it has almost too many great things to name. such as fast-paced RPG combat (that's almost an oximoron), brilliant story, cool characters that are all really likeable and have their own personalities, 5 different worlds to explore, combination attacks with 2 or 3 characters, TONS of replay value, 13 different endings, and a story line that can actually tug at your heartstrings (no zelda game has done that for me.) it is these reasons and many more that chrono trigger is not only my favorite RPG ever, but is tied for 1st with OoT on my "favorite games of all time" list

best fighting game: Super Smash Bros Brawl. i was on the fence of whether to give this to melee or brawl. the reasons being that melee had more innovation for the series, but brawl perfected that formula, so i chose brawl

best male character: Crono (chrono trigger.) i probably would have given this to link if i was allowed to put any zelda games on my list, but crono is very close to link in terms of how much i like them, so i chose him. it also helps that his love interest is my favorite female character

best female character: Marle (chrono trigger.) what can i say about marle? she's just awesome. she has a positive and relatively happy personality, but has it without being annoying like many who attempt that feat. she's great to have in a fight, and is a great character who can make you feel for her, for example (SPOILER ALERT!!!) when crono dies, she reacts in a very real and believable way to losing the love of her life. marle is just a great character

as for the genres not listed, they would either HAVE to go to the zelda series, or i haven't really played enough of the genre to choose a favorite

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
You didn't put down the rts genre!! :O You should add the RTS (Real time Strategy) genre. There are lots of great rts games! Starcraft, Sid Meiers Civilazation, AGE OF MYTHOLOGY (sorry about caps), Warcraft, Dawn of war... etc. Just thought I'd tell u.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
Comments!!!! :xd:
Thanks guys! Your lists are awesome! I wish I could play Super Mario galaxy 2. From the comments I've been reading, it sounds like a really cool game. Oh, and if you want...You can add more genres that haven't been included to your list. I didn't want to list them all in the first post because I thought it would be overwhelming for some people.

Turo602 said:
Thanks Lady Yuna, you robbed me of my Zelda!!!

:3 Exactly. I didn't want to include Zelda in this because part of the forum is about regular video games and besides Zelda's too epic for this thread and its won, so many awards already. Gotta give the other games a chance too.:P

Master Kokiri 9 said:
Alright, here's my list. I've removed some Genre's that I generally don't play/haven't beaten more than one example of. And why aren't platformers on the list? And why would characters be in a best video game list?

Oooo sorry about that. I just fixed my post, so platformers is now on the list. Thanks Master Kokiri!
I decided to put characters on the VG list just for fun and I guess to add more discussion. There have been some threads where people listed their top favorites and with this one your only allowed to list 1 for each gender. :)

Soooo here's mine:

Most addictive videogame- Resident Evil 5: At first, I was scared of even watching this game on my tv, but when I saw my sister playing it for the first time...It started to get interesting, so I decided to try it and ever since then.... I've been playing it like a mad woman lmbo. Whenever I get the chance to play my PS3; this is the first game I'll play. I <3 playing Versus online with other people especially as Team Slayers. I'm terrible when I play Survivors, but there are times where I can kick some serious butt :lol:. Anyway, I really liked the story and the characters (especially Jill <3 and Sheva was pretty awesome too) and I'm glad Capcom decided to tone it down when it came to gross stuff. I think they did it, so that other people (like me) who haven't played this series would get the chance to experience something like this.

Best action game- I don't think I've played a lot of these games, but I'm going to say Bayonetta. Why? Because it was nonstop fun and the game itself was brilliant. Who said this game didn't port well to the PS3? I thought it was great and the quality was crystal clear on my tv not to mention the gameplay itself was quick and easy. I really don't see a difference between the PS3 version or the xbox unless someone can point it out for me.

Best RPG game- (this is difficult) Final Fantasy X.. I loved XIII, but to be realistic X had some elements that were missing in XIII. I never played the previous Final Fantasy games and I'm sure that you might disagree with my choice, but this game stuck out to me the most.

Best fighting game- (Ooo I want to say Street Fighter IV, but....) I'm going to have to say SSBB because this game was an instant classic. It had various characters and it also allowed you to play with other people. (if only the wifi was better :dry:)

best action adventure game- Tomb Raider Legend :)
Best PC game- The sims 3!

Overall best female- (....This is a TOUGH one...) I'm going to have to say Fang. The reason why I chose her was because she was someone who I identified with the most. Of course, I'm not pretty or a tough cookie like she is, but she looks out for the people she cares for and some of her traits are really inspiring (I know...sounds cheesy right?). I wanted to pick Jill because she was kick butt ninja, but I really don't know that much about her like some of you people do. Sure, I read her profile they had in RE5, but still.....

Overall best male character- Mario from Super Mario Galaxy :). DUDE! I grew up with him and he'll always be my favorite Italian character.:nerd:

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Most addictive video game- Tetris
best action game- Metroid Prime
best RPG game- Pokemon
best Shooter game- Duck Hunt
best fighting game- Brawl
best platformer game- Mario Galaxy 2
best PC- Super Mario Crossover
Overall best female and male characters:
Male- Weegee, no contest.
Female- Samus Aran. Amazing games, the first female character in the Smash Bros series, and the best character on Super Mario Crossover.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
:3 Exactly. I didn't want to include Zelda in this because part of the forum is about regular video games and besides Zelda's too epic for this thread and its won, so many awards already. Gotta give the other games a chance too.:P

Soooo here's mine:

Most addictive videogame- Resident Evil 5: At first, I was scared of even watching this game on my tv, but when I saw my sister playing it for the first time...It started to get interesting, so I decided to try it and ever since then.... I've been playing it like a mad woman lmbo. Whenever I get the chance to play my PS3; this is the first game I'll play. I <3 playing Versus online with other people especially as Team Slayers. I'm terrible when I play Survivors, but there are times where I can kick some serious butt :lol:. Anyway, I really liked the story and the characters (especially Jill <3 and Sheva was pretty awesome too) and I'm glad Capcom decided to tone it down when it came to gross stuff. I think they did it, so that other people (like me) who haven't played this series would get the chance to experience something like this.

Overall best female- (....This is a TOUGH one...) I'm going to have to say Fang. The reason why I chose her was because she was someone who I identified with the most. Of course, I'm not pretty or a tough cookie like she is, but she looks out for the people she cares for and some of her traits are really inspiring (I know...sounds cheesy right?). I wanted to pick Jill because she was kick butt ninja, but I really don't know that much about her like some of you people do. Sure, I read her profile they had in RE5, but still.....

Overall best male character- Mario from Super Mario Galaxy :). DUDE! I grew up with him and he'll always be my favorite Italian character.:nerd:

Yeah I understand. It's funny, I put Ocarina of Time as best Adventure but then I read your post and saw I broke a major rule!!!:P But yeah I totally understand, Zelda is way too epic.

Yeah Resident Evil 5 really is a great game. I just didn't like how it wasn't puzzle heavy, how it didn't flow like the rest of the games because it had levels/chapters, and how it didn't have any scary poping out in your face moments like previous titles, and it was also missing the type writer!!! A very important object in the Resident Evil series!!! But then again it's a fanboy thing. I liked the story but the whole Jill thing was obvious since the beginning. I also really like how it was co-op. I really want a Resident Evil game that is co-op and incorprates everything I mentioned above and brings back the Zombies while still being action heavy.

You got to play Resident Evil remake and 3:Nemesis so you can really appreciate Jill. She was my second choice. I really want to see a game with Chris, Jill, Leon, Claire, Ada, Rebbeca, and Barry as the pilot. And for once explain what happened to Billy Coen!

Of course, no one beats that itallian plumber. I chose Master Chief because he has more to offer, story wise. He's a fantastic character. But Mario is no doubt the best of all time. if you know of videogames at all, you sure hell know Mario.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom