• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Nintendo Controller.

Best Nintendo Controller (Basic models only)

• NES

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • SNES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N64

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Gamecube

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Wii

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Wii U

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I've noticed that Sony and Microsoft haven't changed their controller designs much over the years. Microsoft has a little more than their rival, but for the most part the buttons, sticks, and grips feel very similar. Nintendo on the other hand has evolved with each generation, from a little brick, to a more curvy and button-happy brick, to a trident of awesome, to my personal favorite controller of all time, to a NES controller you connect to what's basically a 2600 controller, to a whole fricking tablet. Which of these designs is your personal favorite? What's the deciding factor?

For me, the factor is the smooth grip of the Gamecube controller, the smooth design complements the sturdy control sticks well. That eight-slotted control stick helps you nail fighting games like Smash bros which require specific directional input, and it doesn't hurt your finger like the awkward N64 ones. the c-stick isn't the best for FPS, but there's few of those on the system and you get by well enough. The buttons are actually colorful and interesting, and it sticks out as being about fun, something Nintendo's edgy competitors seem to forget about at times. The buttons also naturally flow from the a-button and have different shapes. You know which direction each is in and what it feels like, so you can respond quickly to your games needs. Should buttons are nice and firm, although the lack of a second z button perplexes me. Overall it has a smooth design and a nice appelaing look to it. It's my go to choice for most games if its available.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I'm a big fan of the Wii U Gamepad. Especially with games that properly utilize it, like Wind Waker HD did. The gamepad was fantastic in terms of consulting the map, switching items, etc. No need to pause, you could play and still do those things, and I loved what that did for the flow of the game. And being able to play the games on the gamepad screen was another bonus.

In case the gamepad doesn't count (though, then I wonder what would count), my second choice is the gamecube controller. Although I had no issues when I played the N64 first time, going back it just feels rough to use, while the gamecube controller remains a smooth experience. I've used it with playing N64 titles on the wii, and there the c-stick doesn't come off as that great since it's a bit too smooth (still better than using the classic controller that they came up with which makes the button and stick positions feel off for anything that isn't a SNES game).

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Gamecube controller. The shape fit my hand perfectly. The curved triggers invited my fingers to sit comfotably on them. The size and placement of the buttons let me hit them with ease and perscion. The C stick worked with what it needed to do and everything just felt comfortable. The one thing I dislike about the gamepad for wii u. The triggers do not feel comfortable moving from lz and rz to l and r. Just that deep groove.

For me the NES dogbone controller wins. It was a 100% improvement on the box NES controller. And the precursor of the SNES and future Nintendo controllers. I actually owned one back in the day and after using it, I never went back to the NES box controller again.

552da5c2dbcf30eefef98c93502b0d36.jpg

Runner up goes to the Wii U gamepad. For a TV based controller is it unreasonably large and heavy. And not so suitable. But for off TV game playing it is near perfect. You can rest the gamepad on yourself or a deck or something as you play so it's weight is not an issue for extended periods of play. You can also do this for TV play but it just doesn't work as well.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
For me the NES dogbone controller wins. It was a 100% improvement on the box NES controller. And the precursor of the SNES and future Nintendo controllers. I actually owned one back in the day and after using it, I never went back to the NES box controller again.

552da5c2dbcf30eefef98c93502b0d36.jpg

The way it looks on the picture, I can only imagine it feeling wonky, since you'd have to hold your hand at a weird angle to hold in the run button while jumping (one of the big reasons I won't play old NES titles with the classic controller and instead just tilt the wii mote). Rounded off edges, I'm with you on, but the right button being higher up than the left one just would make it feel off if one was to be held in while pressing the other one.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Wiimote and Nunchuck. I dont think motion is the way to go for all games but the Wiimote and nunchuck worked well for non motion games such as the last story. I liked I could just rest my arms where I wanted and didn't have to place both of them on one controller.

The way it looks on the picture, I can only imagine it feeling wonky, since you'd have to hold your hand at a weird angle to hold in the run button while jumping (one of the big reasons I won't play old NES titles with the classic controller and instead just tilt the wii mote). Rounded off edges, I'm with you on, but the right button being higher up than the left one just would make it feel off if one was to be held in while pressing the other one.
It worked well. You held the lower button and a portion of the upper button if you needed to hold down both at the same time so your thumb was as less of a weird angle. I don't remembe that being any issue but that was decades ago and my memory of it at the time could be a little shonky.

Dan

In terms of Nintedo controllers then the Gamecube controller as it's the closest to what I feel is the perfect controller of this era. Controllers back in older days were still in their infancy, still trying out new methods to deliver a comfortable yet efficient gaming experience, plus the transition from 2d to 3d changed aspects of the controller once again.

New controller was too boxy and not so nice to hold. Snes controller was a huge improvement and near perfect for 2D games, had it had longer hand grips it would been perfect. Nintendo 64 controllers were awful to me, way too big, a terrible cheap stock analog stick that wasn't built to last and annoying button placement. Gamecube has the hand grips, decent analogs although the c stick isn't great. Button placement is a little iffy too if you're used to the standard. Wii mote is too waggle wiggle. Game pad is great for what it is.

I don't know how I spent hours upon hours playing the N64 as a kid. The controllers hurt my hands now if I play for a long time, and I don't have very big hands, either (sob sob haven't grown since I was 12). That being said, I'd take the N64 controller any day over the WiiMote. Have never, ever, ever liked motion control.

I like the Classic Pro and Gamecube controllers a lot. If I'm not aware of using the controller and can just focus on playing, then we're solid.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I don't know how I spent hours upon hours playing the N64 as a kid. The controllers hurt my hands now if I play for a long time, and I don't have very big hands, either (sob sob haven't grown since I was 12). That being said, I'd take the N64 controller any day over the WiiMote. Have never, ever, ever liked motion control.

Fun part about memories versus reality. I only remember non-brand N64 controllers actually hurting when playing them, but now whenever I pick my regular N64 controller up, it hurts to play. Could be because I now know what to expect from controllers that it feels bad in comparison. Or maybe a new brand controller didn't feel that bad. *shrugs* who knows.

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
For Nintendo I'd say the Wii U pro controller, gamecube, Wii U game pad, Wii, SNES, N64, NES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom