• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Game to Get You into the Series

N

Noriku

So I'm trying to introduce my friend into legend of zelda and I'm on the fence as to which game clearly shows zelda in the best way. Any ideas?

Squirrel

The Rodent King
If they really don't know anything about Zelda then you it would be Twilight Princess that shows the series in the best way because of the graphics and hidden skills. Good graphics are always good. I also think the hawkeye and ball-and-chain are good things to show people who are new to the game because it might make them a bit more interested if they like fighting games. Also, the fight with darknut is pretty cool if you show them that.
Showing them the trailer for TP might make them interested though.

If they really don't know anything about Zelda then you it would be Twilight Princess that shows the series in the best way because of the graphics and hidden skills. Good graphics are always good. I also think the hawkeye and ball-and-chain are good things to show people who are new to the game because it might make them a bit more interested if they like fighting games. Also, the fight with darknut is pretty cool if you show them that.
Showing them the trailer for TP might make them interested though.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I would suggest that you play Ocarina of Time first because it is overall pretty low difficulty and it is very easy to pick up and play. Also the story, characters, and game play are great so you can easily get into the series with it. Another reason being that Ocarina of Time also sets up the basics for every 3D Zelda game afterwords, so you can kind of get a feel of how the games are afterwords by playing Ocarina of Time. Another one I am going to suggest is A Link to the Past (or Triforce of the Gods) because this game took the basics of the original two Legend of Zelda games before it (Legend of Zelda (1987) and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1988) and made so much better in my opinion. A Link to the Past is a little difficult though and is very, very frustrating at times so I would hold off on this one until playing an easier game. Other than the difficulty for beginners, Alttp is a fantastic game with awesome game play which is as smooth as silk. The next one I am going to suggest is Link's Awakening which, in my opinion, has the most balanced difficulty of any Zelda game, and overall is an unforgettable experience and an amazing game. The last two I am going to suggest are very similar, these games are Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, although these games can be frustratingly easy at times they can be a great joy to play especially PH. Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass both have Cel-Shaded graphics, which are very lovable and beautiful in their own rite. Anyways they are both very easy to get into and are very fun =D. Well I hoped I helped with your question, and I hope I helped your friend enjoy a Zelda game. So anyways see you later, and happy gaming.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would go with OoT, too. It was my own introduction to Zelda. I think that if you start with a game like TP, you could risk your friend falling for the flashy parts of the game and not truly get into the actual Zelda-spirit. And going as far back as the NES/SNES age of Zelda could backfire as well. Don't get me wrong, I love Zelda, but I've tried getting into games like aLttP and I'm really struggling with it. Maybe I'll give it another go, but so far I've yet to complete a single dungeon in it. The 3d games more appeals to the kind of gameplay that people want to see now, so starting with the original 3D Zelda game would in my opinion be your best bet. Start with OoT, then bring on MM and then move on to games like WW and TP...

I'd agree with others and say Ocarina of Time. It's a great example of everything Zelda is, and it's modern enough to be 3D, and has a good plot and characters. It teaches you a lot in the beginning and moves nicely from basic to more challenging so you can learn the ropes before playing a more difficult game like Majora's Mask or A Link to the Past.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I would choose the first game, LoZ, The Legend of Zelda. Might sound like a stupid idea because there are so many games that are better (?) and perhaps the person in question would not be too impressed by my choice. But still, that is the answer I will give: If you do not like the original, then you are not a true fan in my opinion!

Loz was the game that introduced me to the series, and I am still a fan (and also hard to please).

(I know I am harder than a rock ;)).

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would choose the first game, LoZ, The Legend of Zelda. Might sound like a stupid idea because there are so many games that are better (?) and perhaps the person in question would not be too impressed by my choice. But still, that is the answer I will give: If you do not like the original, then you are not a true fan in my opinion!

Loz was the game that introduced me to the series, and I am still a fan (and also hard to please).

(I know I am harder than a rock ;)).

The difference is that (I at least assume) you were introduced to LoZ when it was more or less "THE greatest thing" when you had a whole different set of expectations to graphics/gameplay, etc. Unless this is a person who's never played any games and thereby is a blank slate when it comes to gaming, chances are they are going to have certain expectations and compare whatever Zelda they're given against the other games they have played.

I grew up in the NES/SNES age and I've played many NES/SNES system games in my time. I wasn't introduced to Zelda in those days, it wasn't until OoT that I got to know the world of Zelda. And despite having plenty of experience with NES/SNES system games I am still having trouble getting into Zelda games made prior to OoT. I don't doubt for a second that they are great games, but they are simply not holding my interest long enough to give them a proper go... and if that is happening to me, who love Zelda, I can't imagine someone with no prior experience with Zelda giving the games the attempt they deserve.

It's all about finding the right balance, not go too new, but not go too old, either. It has to be a game that a casual gamer in this day and age could find fun to play.

Phantom Zelda

Mostly Harmless
I'm going to have to go with Twilight Princess. I think it had a lot of stuff from Ocarina but it still was its own game. It was also easier than Ocarina so it's easier to get into. But it's not so easy that you won't be able to get into other Zeldas after because they are too hard. If he likes Twilight Princess show him Links Awakening. It is another great Zelda but it is a LOT different than TP. And the series offers games similar to TP and LA so he can choose which style he likes best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom