• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Direct Sequels in Gaming

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I’m surprised nobody has made this thread yet.

Sequels are an inevitability in any storytelling medium. A game releases, it’s successful, it gets another one. Sometimes these sequels are perfect continuations of their predecessors, fixing their flaws and expanding on everything they set as a standard both mechanically and story wise. Other times they’re Tears of the Kingdom the exact opposite of that.

So what are some examples of direct sequels done right? Note that I’m not referring to your favorite games that happen to be direct sequels. My favorite game ever is Majora’s Mask, but as a sequel it could probably be better as it’s story doesn’t really do much to expand upon OoT’s apart from some implications regarding Link’s character. I want games that are good at being sequels.

Under that criterion, I’d probably say Bioshock 2 is everything that a sequel should be. The story and atmosphere play off of what was established and make for a nice contrast in themes while also not completely retconning its predecessor *cough Infinite cough*. Mechanically it introduces just enough tweaks to the gameplay to give more of a purpose to some of the shortcomings of the last game while also not removing what already worked. It’s to the point where I’d argue that it makes the first game feel obsolete once you’ve already experienced the story.

Last edited:

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is even better than the original. The story is a little weaker, maybe (though that's not really the important part of a Mario game), but the levels and mechanics and way they handled green stars and Luigi were all much better than the original. Galaxy 1 was a great new concept with lackluster 100% gameplay, Galaxy 2 is a blast from start to finish.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Wasn't this already a thread recently? Shoutout to Majora's Mask tho.
I could have sworn we saw something just like it made by markas but I did a brief search and came back with nothing

edit:
watching this could help the topic thread

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Oh this list can go ON.
  • LoZ: Majora's Mask following Ocarina of Time.
  • LoZ: Phantom Hourglass and LoZ: Spirit Tracks following Wind Waker
  • LoZ: Oracle of Ages/Seasons following Link's Awakening/Link's Awakening DX
  • LoZ: Tears of the Kingdom following Breath of the Wild
  • LoZ: Four Swords Adventures following Four Swords
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II following KotOR
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II following The Force Unleashed
  • Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes following Metroid Prime
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons following A New Leaf
  • Halo 2 following Halo 3
  • Halo 3 following Halo 2
  • Shrek 2 following Shrek
  • Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest following The Curse of the Black Pearl
  • Avengers: Endgame following Avengers: Infinity War
  • Theophany's Second Majora's Mask album that unfortunately never got the sequel it deserved after making only part 2 of what was supposed to be a 6 part series.
  • Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal following Red/Blue/Green/Yellow
  • The Elder Scrolls VI: Adamantine following TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim andTESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESV: Skyrim and TESIV: Oblivion and TESIII: Morrowind and TESII: Daggerfall and TES: Arena.
  • CoD: Modern Warfare 2 following CoD4: Modern Warfare
  • CoD: Black-Ops 2 following CoD: Black-Ops
  • Burnout 3: Takedown following Burnout 2: Point of Impact
  • Super Mario RPG 2 unfortunately never being made to surpass SMRPG1.
  • Octopath Traveler II following Octopath Traveler I

I could keep going.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Wasn't this already a thread recently? Shoutout to Majora's Mask tho.
I generally search for threads to see if they exist before I make them, I didn’t see one.

I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is even better than the original. The story is a little weaker, maybe (though that's not really the important part of a Mario game), but the levels and mechanics and way they handled green stars and Luigi were all much better than the original. Galaxy 1 was a great new concept with lackluster 100% gameplay, Galaxy 2 is a blast from start to finish.
Thats a hard disagree. I found Galaxy 2 to be weaker in every way, including mechanically.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
I generally search for threads to see if they exist before I make them, I didn’t see one.

Thats a hard disagree. I found Galaxy 2 to be weaker in every way, including mechanically.
FUN FACT

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was one of the most pirated videogames on the Nintendo Wii, with the game even being pirated before the launch date.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I could have sworn we saw something just like it made by markas but I did a brief search and came back with nothing
funnily I thought that it was this dude that made that thread, but searching it apparently it was disappointing sequels

anyways my answers for this are Metal Gear Solid 2, Jak 2, Sonic 2, Mother 2, and heck Zelda 2

thePlinko

ZD Legend
funnily I thought that it was this dude that made that thread, but searching it apparently it was disappointing sequels

anyways my answers for this are Metal Gear Solid 2, Jak 2, Sonic 2, Mother 2, and heck Zelda 2
I made a sequel to that thread

• Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal following Red/Blue/Green/Yellow
This is probably the only technically correct answer. Everything else is arguably subjective (mind you, subjective answers I don't disagree with), but Gold and Silver did something I've never seen before or since. They took the entire game, made a sequel to it that was bigger and better in every way, and then put the original area of the first game in as a post-main-game victory lap, and topped it all off with letting you challenge the protagonist of the first game. Chef's kiss. It is hands down probably at least technically speaking the best direct sequel in gaming history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom