• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Direct Sequels in Gaming

Banjo-Tooie and Pokémon Gold/Silver I’d say are top tier sequels. Smash Bros. Melee as well was a huge leap I wasn’t prepared for either. Paper Mario 2 and Halo 2, also very good. Red Dead Redemption 2? technically a prequel, but still, massive improvement.

Unfortunately some of my favorites, a bit more debatable whether they’ve improved on anything but I still enjoy them as follow ups. No More Heroes 2 had some unfortunate tradeoffs, Deadly Premonition 2 felt it had even less of a budget sadly but the story concluded very well. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a game I enjoyed a lot given MGSV ditched a ton of good stealth mechanics - the only problem being Square cut it short.

Reactions: Dio

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Oh yeah, can't forget about Valve, the masters of stopping at 2 with such classics as Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Half-Life 2, and Left 4 Dead 2. I think at least TF2 is indisputably better than the original and I don't think I've heard of anyone preferring Half-Life 1 to 2.

The other two are probably more a matter of taste.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Banjo-Tooie and Pokémon Gold/Silver I’d say are top tier sequels. Smash Bros. Melee as well was a huge leap I wasn’t prepared for either. Paper Mario 2 and Halo 2, also very good. Red Dead Redemption 2? technically a prequel, but still, massive improvement.

Unfortunately some of my favorites, a bit more debatable whether they’ve improved on anything but I still enjoy them as follow ups. No More Heroes 2 had some unfortunate tradeoffs, Deadly Premonition 2 felt it had even less of a budget sadly but the story concluded very well. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was a game I enjoyed a lot given MGSV ditched a ton of good stealth mechanics - the only problem being Square cut it short.
Oh Banjo Tooie was amazing! I loved Witchy World, made sure to get burgers and fries. :D

Some of these have been mentioned already but I can't just not mention them too:
Donkey Kong Country 2, Metroid Prime 2, Banjo-Tooie, Majora's mask, Monkey Island 2, Turrican 2, Timesplitters 2, Perfect Dark...I'll stop it here because there's technically tons of games that could qualify for this list.

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Some of these have been mentioned already but I can't just not mention them too:
Donkey Kong Country 2, Metroid Prime 2, Banjo-Tooie, Majora's mask, Monkey Island 2, Turrican 2, Timesplitters 2, Perfect Dark...I'll stop it here because there's technically tons of games that could qualify for this list.
Oh Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong’s Quest was incredible! Loved that game!

dixie-donkey-kong.gif

It managed to surpass the original.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Hideo literally just copied 90% of the same plot as the first game and it has much better reviews and ratings than the fake Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge that Konami tried to make without him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom