• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Minish Cap Best 2D Zelda?

I played Minish Cap a loooong time ago like when it first came out and at that point it was my favorite Zelda game. Now after playing LttP and LA recently i must say I would really like to dig out my old copy of MC and play it again, but LA just rules the 2D installment imo. Lttp was just flawed to me and i'm the kind of person that likes to see cameos and some say LA overdid it in that department but i personally thought it was really cool actually.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
Oh boy, is Minish Cap the best 2D Zelda? In my opinion, no. Going by the keyword in the title, best, I'd have to go with A Link to the Past. I believe A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game in the series period. It had amazing game play, really fun and unique dungeons, and probably my favorite over world in the series. When I say best, I am not picking favorites, if I were playing favorites, I probably would have chosen Link's Awakening. Anyways, A Link to the Past is the best 2D Zelda. It basically kick started a lot of themes and ideas we see in modern day Zelda games. Everything about it is fantastic and I can't stress that enough. Minish Cap is a fantastic game, but I don't think it can even compete with a Link to the Past in the contest for the best 2D Zelda.

MW7

Oh boy, is Minish Cap the best 2D Zelda? In my opinion, no. Going by the keyword in the title, best, I'd have to go with A Link to the Past. I believe A Link to the Past is the best Zelda game in the series period. It had amazing game play, really fun and unique dungeons, and probably my favorite over world in the series. When I say best, I am not picking favorites, if I were playing favorites, I probably would have chosen Link's Awakening. Anyways, A Link to the Past is the best 2D Zelda. It basically kick started a lot of themes and ideas we see in modern day Zelda games. Everything about it is fantastic and I can't stress that enough. Minish Cap is a fantastic game, but I don't think it can even compete with a Link to the Past in the contest for the best 2D Zelda.

I couldn't agree more with what you said. Minish Cap is a great game, but ALTTP is just way too amazing for anything to top it. My favorite game is Majora's Mask, but I would say ALTTP is definitely the best Zelda game out of the whole series as well. Dungeons, items, and overworld are all just amazing in that game.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
No. Minish Cap is nowhere near the best 2D Zelda. Now, granted it was really good for such a short game, but it isn't quite as good as A Link to the Past. And by "isn't quite," I mean the only possible way to beat ALttP is to be a 3D console game.

Now, Minish Cap had many positive points that have started to affect the rest of the series.
+ Instead of the item being built for the dungeon boss, the dungeon itself is built around the use of that item. A large example of an impact would be Arbiter's Grounds, where the rails for the Spinner were EVERYWHERE.
+ Many items were used again in the final battle, one way or another, rather than being useless once you stepped into the warp space. So far, this has yet to be reimplemented.
+ Made excellent use of the "Origin" Story and pushed the GBA SP to its limit.

But it definitely had its drawbacks.
+ It was too short. Six dungeons, with a few faux-dungeons, and I, while never using the Pegasus shoes as needed, was able to beat the game in a mere 3 hours. WALKING EVERYWHERE!
+ One of the Heart Pieces forced you to waste several hours of gameplay searching for shells just to create figurines.
+ There's really nothing you can do once you've gotten the Mirror Shield and you already have everything. No minigames, no nothing.

ALttP on the other hand... Pros,
+ Influenced every "major" Zelda game to date, whether it be in terms of plot, or the usual "Hijacked by Ganon" plot twist.
+ Longest of any Zelda game, and yet, in the proper hands (like my own), it is able to be beaten in just over 2 hours.
+ This Link is the most powerful of any Link in any game. He has a very great supply of weapons and utilities that the other Links do not have.

Cons,
+ For the newer gamers, it's too damn difficult.
+ Once you start to get the game, it no longer is a challenge.

Overall, ALttP is much much better than TMC, but that is my opinion.

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
Why has nobody said Legend of Zelda yet?Heck even Adventure of Link?

My personal favourite is Zelda II.It just feels great to play and has so many unique elements that no other games in the series have.I also introduced Magic and towns.Where would Skyloft be without Ruto Town or the Harbour town of Saria?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom