• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Avengers or Dark Knight Rises?

Which did you like more?

• Avengers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dark Knight Rises

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Last year, Marvel came out with their best comic-based movie they ever produced, the Avengers. It held the record for most grossing summer release (I've heard). Now this year, long time competitor, DC, released the third installment of the Batman trilogy, Dark Knight Rises. This was predicted to surpass the Avengers' as most grossing summer release. Both of these films were the best each company had to offer as of now. But which of them did you like more?

Garo

Boy Wonder
Avengers was this year too.

But, The Dark Knight Rises. The Avengers was an excellent film that fulfilled its goal with a great deal of style - it wanted nothing more than to be an immensely entertaining summer blockbuster. The Dark Knight Rises, on the other hand, managed to be that but also more than that - it tied up three films worth of thematic threads and introduced new threads of its own. It was a summer blockbuster, sure, but it managed to supercede the boundaries of superhero films, working just as much as a neo-noir as it did as a superhero film.

Both films did what they wanted to do, and both did just that with aplomb, but The Dark Knight Rises wanted to do more.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I haven't seen The Avengers, so I can't legitimately opine, but if it was anything like most Marvel films (see Iron Man) it was mostly just an action movie without much substance.

The Nolan Batman films are, at their core, dramas. They still have a lot of ridiculous plot points, but they're principally character-driven. From what I've heard of The Avengers, it has little characterization; it's basically just wall-to-wall action and special effects. It looks like it's everything that bores me about comic books, whereas what I love about the Nolan Batman films is that (much like the first two Superman movies) I never really feel like I'm watching a comic book movie.

I can almost guarantee I would pick The Dark Knight Rises, but I'll hold off until I see the Avengers, if I ever do. I'd be surprised if a Marvel film that's not X-men, X2, or Spiderman 2 could even approach the quality of any of Nolan's movies.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
I've been thinking about this lately but honestly I've just concluded that you honestly can't even compare them. Much like it's respective comic, Marvel put out the Avengers knowing that a super-team will sell big and makes for a good movie. Break the team apart and match their movies up against the DKR and Batman takes the cake every time. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Avengers but to compare the two is a bit unfair. They also have their own styles. Like Hanyou said, the Nolan trilogy was a drama compared to Marvel movies which are usually more cartoonish and feature more pizzazz

Link8150

The 8150th Link
I tend to enjoy the more plot driven movies, the same goes for shows, video games, and books. I'm not sure if The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises are comparable, as The Avengers is a lighter movie focused on comedy and action with some plot, as opposed to The Dark Knight Rises, which is focused on story and action with some comedy. So which do I like better? The Dark Knight Rises.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
They are really two totally different films, with different moods and purposes. I enjoyed both of them thoroughly, for different reasons. I don't really have a preference, because both films were excellent and are too different to compare.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
It's a tough choice but I think that The Avengers gets my vote.

The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie, there is absolutely no denying that. However, I found that The Avengers was great because it was probably one of the biggest on screen mash ups of all time.

When I watch a super hero movie I factor in the comics as well and the relevance and the general appeal of them. The Avengers is one of the greatest comic book series of all time, ranked better than Batman from what I've seen. Coupled with the fact that the movie was extremely anticipated and very well done, I think it was better than The Dark Knight Rises (But only by a little. TDKR was awfully good ;))

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie, there is absolutely no denying that. However, I found that The Avengers was great because it was probably one of the biggest on screen mash ups of all time.

Alright, I get it, but TDKR has so much more substance, more depth, more emotion.

What I'm saying is, yeah, The Avengers was pretty spectacular with the mash-up of characters, final battle and the graphics. There were even some funny parts, but it doesn't go any deeper than that. Where as TDKR had so much more background due to the last two movies; because of those previous movies and the build-up of a backstory, TDKR turned out to be a "tugging at the heartstrings" and "jaw-dropping" performance. The Avengers? Well, personally, there was no jaw-dropping, tugging at heartstrings for me.

TDKR - like I already said - had so much more emotion and depth. There wasn't just an evil villain lurking around, but there were also issues with family, friends and close-ties. Also, the fact that TDKR focuses mainly on human villains rather than supernatural just makes it that much more surreal.

Naturally, my vote is TDKR. :P

I have not seen Avengers, therefore, could not give a legitimate vote. But I did see Dark Knight Rises. Dark Knight Rises was hands down the best movie in the trilogy. It deserves the prediction it got. It had emotion, depth, well developed characters, a plot twist, and some, not a lot, but some humor. I cannot give any more details or I will risk spoiling the movie. If I do see Avengers, I feel that Dark Knight Rises will still surpass it. I'll wait to vote because, you never know.

I choose The Avengers.

Firstly because I saw both movies in theaters twice, both within a month of the first, and The Avengers still surprised me.
Secondly there were a lot of little things in The Dark Knight Rises that annoyed me.
Lastly the action sequence at the end of The Avengers is by far my favorite action sequence of any movie.

The Dark Knight Rises isn't a bad movie, I just like The Avengers more.

I personally prefer The Dark Knight Rises, but I loved them both. They had entirely contrasting tones despite both spawning from comic books - The Avengers taking the more comic book-esque route, while The Dark Knight Rises had a more realistic tone - and I think they both practically indisputably perfected what they were aiming for.

Although it had a few unnecessary fight scenes thrown in here and there (albeit I still enjoyed them because of aesthetically-appealing special effects and choreography garnishing them), The Avengers was still a fantastic movie in my opinion. One of my favorite aspects of the movie besides the aforementioned combat was the struggled amongst the allies. Watching Captain America and Iron Man go at it and the Hulk attempt to contain his inner monster added a nice sense of realism instead of having the Avengers immediately get along and work together; of course, they found solidarity eventually, but that just added more to the excellent characters and their progression through the duration of the film. Also, Loki was a great villain to me, because my favorite antagonists are those that are both strong and intellectual. My only gripe besides the forced fight scenes was that I felt they spent a little too much time on the aircraft in the middle portion of the movie, but those parts were also enjoyable so I won't complain too much.

As for The Dark Knight Rises, after seeing it twice I have come to the conclusion that it is not only my favorite comic book movie, but my second favorite movie of all-time, falling just behind The Lion King and barely surpassing Rudy and The Dark Knight. It not only did what The Avengers did, but it was so much more than that; it was an uplifting story of rising from defeat to prevent cataclysm, and those elements were depicted in a very realistic fashion. The movie also had terrific characters, among which my favorites were John Blake and Bane. Bane was a terrific character in that, similarly to Loki, he had both intelligence and brute strength. I was sold on his character from the start when he wittily stated, "Maybe he's wondering why you would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane" in that awesome voice of his and then viciously crashed the plane as he had planned; and from that point on he never came close to disappointment in my eyes. Another one of my favorite lines of his was when Daggett said he was in charge and Bane menacingly stared at him with his hand on Daggett's shoulder and said, "Do you feel in charge?" Furthermore, his incredible ability to test Batman to his breaking point (literally) was fun to watch, especially in the fight scene in Bane's lair. Now, with my fanboy-ing over Bane out of the way, John Blake was also great; I didn't need to have his real name revealed as Robin to detect the immense similarities between the two, and they definitely didn't go unappreciated by me; I especially liked seeing him take charge of the remnants of Gotham's good guys in Batman's five-month wake. And of course, Batman's character was excellent as well. Watching him go from recluse to Batman to the broken bat and back to Batman again was incredible and well-executed throughout the film's plot; him becoming Batman again and rising from the pit was incredibly inspiring, to both me and the people of Gotham. Alfred also shined with a few great monological attempts at convincing Bruce Wayne to move on in his life, and it all paid out at the end when he finally saw Bruce at the café in Florence. Finally, Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was by far the best yet in my opinion, despite having a few scattered cheesy lines; she also had great character progression.

And thus, that's why I prefer The Dark Knight Rises over The Avengers while loving both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom