• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Asking for a friend.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I have a friend who wants to try Zelda games, namely Twilight Princess, but they only have a Wii. She had the idea that she could get and play the Wii version just to know the story, and when we meet again she could play TPHD to get the full experience. I'm iffy on this. I don't want her to lose interest because the Wii version sucks. (Yes, I'll admit that)
I looked into the GameCube version, and it's easily 100 dollars on eBay. I didn't even look at GC controllers, but a Wii U bundle goes for around 175 on there. That's not that much more than the GC version and a controller, but it's still a lot for a gift. What are your thoughts?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I honestly think her trying the Wii version of TP is the least expensive and best option.

I wouldn't recommend SS because of the need to potentially buy the Wii Motion Plus as well as how annoying SS's controls can be.

TP's motion controls are far from great, but at the same time, they don't have the potential frustrations of SS's fiddly controls. Waggling the Wiimote can be a fun time, and pointer controls are fantastic for aiming. It's a traditional Zelda game with some gimmick controls.

WW is ideal, but expensive (as is TP for the GC), along with the need for a GC controller. And if her Wii is a newer model, the potential is there that it wouldn't be compatible with GC games at all.

So TP Wii seems to be her best choice in this instance. I played that version first when I was younger and enjoyed it quite a bit. Maybe it will be the same for her.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
even though I don't personally like the version, I know a ton of people got into the series through TP wii, so I don't think there's too much harm in going that route, especially if that's the cheapest option

now if you're down to softmod that wii, we can have a completely different conversation, but I know that even you have reservations about that for your own stuff so sticking to TP wii is the easiest in this case

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
just have friend wait until you're together again, then TP and chill
no point in buying it just to try out the story if friend can try it out when you're together
She lives in Alaska for the foreseeable future. Not happening anytime soon.

Other than that, thanks for the help. I feel fine with the Wii version now. The mirrored thing bugs me but that's just gonna have to be overlooked. The other thing I've seen about the Wii version is the graphics, and she's not savvy enough to care.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
What's wrong with the Wii? Yeah HD is better but being able to point and shoot when it comes to the bow and slingshot is really cool. So your friend should be fine playing the Wii version, I 100% years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom