• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Anyone Have Windows 8 Yet? What Do You Think About It?

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
How do you feel about Windows 8? How you tried it out? If you have any quesitons about the operating system please feel free to ask me.

I have yet to purchase the Windows 8 operating system, however, I previously demoed Windows 8 via the Windows 8 Consumer Preview back in February. No doubt Microsoft has smoothed out the rough edges therefore my assessment may not be completely accurate.

Never before has Windows undergone such a radical transformation. I hardly knew what I was using, it most certainly was not the familiar home menu I'm traditionally accustomed to. The Metro style app interface with programs covering the entire screens is designed for tablets and the new "trendy" ultrabooks. Traditional PC users should sit this one out unless you're willing to undergo a steep learning curve with few major improvements.

Dan

I feel I need to look more into it, but I don't understand why they had to remove the start button, that was very handy, it meant we didn't need to change windows.
I guess that's my argument for that, but I just think the start bar was excellent and didn't need removing. I'm going to miss my desktop tbh.

I feel I need to look more into it, but I don't understand why they had to remove the start button, that was very handy, it meant we didn't need to change windows.
I guess that's my argument for that, but I just think the start bar was excellent and didn't need removing. I'm going to miss my desktop tbh.

In the words of a Microsoft employee herself, Windows 8, "...brings together the potential of a tablet and the power of the PC." The start menu in this case is clearly influenced more by the tablet end of the spectrum.

I recommend you watch this highly informative video:

[video=youtube;Wd1wvZvarFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wd1wvZvarFM#![/video]

It's a bit outdated, from CES 2012, before the Windows 8 Consumer Preview was available but it nails home the fundamental philosophies of Windows 8 and differences from its predecessors.

Lamphobic

The Brony
I refuse to use it based off of the fact that it looks like it was designed for a tablet. No. If windows wants to release a tablet then please release a tablet. Do not take over my desktop with your tablet OS and call it a computer.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
The only reason I would use 8 is for improved speed. To be honest, XP is a lot faster then Windows 7 on my PC yet I use it anyways because its the latest thing I like the look and all.

If 8 is more tablet like though, I might have to set it out this time around. Then again there's nothing wrong with trying something new.

I have it yes, and I like it yes. I was a mac user until it broke... :( Then I got a computer that ran XP and I upgraded it to Windows 8! I really like actually, The only annoying thing is it doesn't have a built in DVD player... but That's really all I have against it. I highly recommend it, also you can get your start menu back through third party apps, I like the start screen though. That's just my thoughts on it.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I like it and I hate it. The tablet feel is rather annoying, since I'm using it as a desktop, but I can see how it would be nice as a tablet OS. I also really, really hate the app for Skype....it is useless at this point, since notifications don't work like they are supposed to.

ILU

i luv u
I don't have it, but I've been doing a lot of the training for it on Expert Zone, and so far it seems... interesting? It feels dumbed down a lot. I guess that's great for those who aren't tech-savvy, but it's hard for me to adapt to. It is a lot better when using it for a tablet though, and that's where the focus is. But, I am a desktop user through and through, so it's not the best option design-wise. You can modify it to get it back to the way you like it, but not having that option out of the box is a downfall, IMO. Windows 8 seems to be less of a technological jump and more of a well-thought-out marketing scheme. It's an excellent way to sell their tablets, and a lot of the Windows 8 training emphasizes that. It reminds me a lot of Nintendo, actually, and how they cleverly targeted the casual audience in order to make a profit when their competitors had the upper hand.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Gah... New computer since my previous one's hard drive like- died..... it has 8, and first look at it, and I started crying. I was so confused, under so much stress from the previous system crashing, and my first thoughts of 8 was- I HATE IT..... but then I discovered it had a desktop just like 7 and I felt so much better... So far I'm "okay" on it- but I still don't like it. I just want my old computer and all its files back, and my Windows 7 I love my Windows 7.... I haven't messed around with it enough yet, so I'm still learning how 8 is. It's going to take me a while to get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom