• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Any Fighting Game Fans?

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
I figure since this is the weekend of the Evo tournament might as well ask if anyone likes fighting games? I'm not very good myself but I am a fan. I mostly play dead or alive and street fighter. What does everyone else play?

I am a huge fighting fan. My mains are definitely Super Smash Bros. and Street Fighter. I've played some Soul Calibur before but I find it rather hard to get into. Tekken has been on my radar for quite awhile now and I'll be sure to snag Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale when it release later this year.

I grew up with Mario and Zelda and yet I consider the fighting genre to be above all. There is something beautiful in its simplicity yet elegance-the way anyone can get into the game but the plethora of hardships required to become a master. Timing is key when combating an opponent and great hand-eye coordination is required to become the true master.

I love fighting games, I suck at most of them but i love them for their characters and individuality. Characters in fighting games are usually so well rounded and unique to the titles they inhabit that its always fun meeting a new challenger or unlocking someone you havent seen before. I'm okay at a couple of titles and being good at a game really enhances the enjoyment you get out of it and i can think of no better example of this than the fighting genre. I really suck at 2D, anything by capcom and SNK usually results in me losing a hell of a lot but they have some awesome characters and i really enjoyed Tatsunoko Vs Capcom on the Wii, it was a wonderful fan girl moment to see the G-force/Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets crowd as well as Casshern and others.

For 3D fighters my top spot will have to go to DoA, its fun, fast and doesn't take itself too seriously, its very werll rounded because of the amount of instalments its had and the character like Kasuma and Ayane are really enjoyable; DoA: Dimensions is title i recommend everyone to play, its wonderful and its main mode takes you through the entire series in a concise narrative.

Second would be Soul Calibur, 2 and 3 are the best but 2 is considerably better, however for me SC has the best characters; Ivy, Sophitia, Tira, Setsuka, Nightmare, Siegfried, Kilik, Raphael are all wonderful characters and a joy to play. The style is awesome and the feel of the franchise as a whole within each installment has an epic scale to it.

Tekken comes third only because i suck at it the most and i don't feel too connected with the characters, very pretty though. My favourite installments for are Tekken 5 and Dark Resurrection, followed by 3 and the non-canon Tekken Tag.

So yeah :P fighting game fan.

I'm a huge fan of fighting games. Heck, aside from Zelda and a variety of [J]RPGs, I live for fighting games. I've been into such series as Soul Calibur (Soul Edge way back when), Tekken, and Virtua Fighter from the very beginning. I am adept in fighting game terminology as well as various fighting game mechanics, which gives me an edge over any opponent. I have yet to compete in an actual tournament, though, but I plan on it in the near future.

My favorite games are Guilty Gear: ^Core and Blazblue: Continuum Shift: Extend, so it goes without saying that I'm in love with 2D fighters. I am currently playing Street Fighter X Tekken and Soul Calibur V. I've recently considered getting into online gaming, but I'm a tad reluctant at the moment.

I also plan on buying Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, even though I don't consider it to be a legit fighting game. It sort of gives off the air of an action/party game, but whatever floats your boat... <...<

Last edited by a moderator:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
One of my favourite gaming series is Super Smash Bros. and I consider it among the greatest fighting games. As for others, I don't play too many of them and aren't very good at them, but I occasionally play popular games, including Street Fighter, Mortal Combat and Soul Calibur at my friends homes.

Dan

Well I absolutely love the street fighter series. I find the series has some of the most greatest characters any fighting series has to offer. I find the characters easily distinguished and recognizable compared to other fighters. My favourite street fighter game is the alpha series. I prefer the art style the game went with and the use of colours. Oh and another thing streets fighter has over any other fighter. Dan Hibiki ;)

It's too bad capcom have always been so greedy with the series. I have quite the library of fighters. Street fighter has always kept me interested. I've tried to get into other fighters bad failed pretty bad. I find the marvel vs capcom 3 games way too fast. Too many combos to master too. I've also tried the King of fighter and while I like the games backgrounds and art style I cannot get used to the button formations one must perform. I think with a bit more work I could have fun with King of fighters.

I've also been trying the tekken series and I've sort of just jumped in. I find character variation is lacking unless we talk about the animal fighters haha. The series makes me miss long range moves :( I really want to get into the series too. I think I just need to find the right character first. I feel the same about virtua fighter too, seems too realistic for my tastes. :(

I guess I prefer more crazy unrealistic cartoon fighters like street fighter. I found Capcom vs Snk 2 rather fun. Only because it played a lot like the street fighter games. I also played guilty gear which was extremely crazy. I recall one of the moves being coming out of a door from the middle of nowhere. (what a great move). Although I haven't played that game much.

I think Mortal kombat could be a good choice for me. Since it has projectile moves and okay character variation. So I may work on that. Oh and skullgirls looks like a neat fighter too ^^

Oh I've also played a lesser known game called eternal champions for the megadrive. It was a very neat fighter which sadly got discontinued because Sega wanted to focus on virtua fighter. :(

I also own blazblue but have yet to play it.

Oh and one more fighter... I've played... it's one fighter no one should ever play. I think the game must of been crafted in hell it's name... BALLZ 3D !

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm totally into Soul Calibur. Played all of the 'main' titles, including Edge/Blade. I was never good enough for SC2 or SC3 tournament material, but I see the way the tourney players manage their attacks and stuff in SC4/5 and I think I'm good enough to, at the very least, make it to a match with Kayane (and probably win...she really isn't that good. who the hell cares if she is a female). So yeah, Soul Calibur is my main fighting franchise <3

I used to play Tekken but I can't wrap my head around even the most basic of tourney combos. The buffering windows for many moves are just too small and I'm not quick enough. I "main" Jin but I suck with him haha. Maybe if I had a fight stick things would change ;P

I can't play Street Fighter, I'm just horrible at it xD

and Dead or Alive whoops my butt even against Normal CPU difficulty. The counter system IMO is far too broken.

I really don't consider Super Smash Bros. when talking about fighting games, I guess it is because the learning curve is totally different (meaning, easier) than any other quoteunquote normal fighter. My question though is "Who DOESN'T like Smash?". I've played 64 and Melee and watches tons and tons of vids, professional and otherwise, of Brawl. I'm nowhere near good enough for a Melee tourney or a 64 tourney, can't even do intermediately advanced techniques yet :/ but I'm working on it!

EDIT: Fig's post said "M.U.G.E.N". I remember SO MUCH about that nifty little game. I used to have so many awesome characters, like Super Mario (the good one), Super Luigi, poc Mario, poc Luigi, the good Link, Mario 64, Sonic, Cream, Amy, Knuckles, etc...gosh it was so awesome <3

Last edited:

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
God I love fighting games. Smash Bros is great, I freaking love street fighter (Hyper Street Fighter's Guile's theme, anyone?). Personally, I also love the Dragon Ball Z games. Tenkaichi series was great, and so far Raging Blast two has been a blast (See what I did thur?). Never played Tekken, but i should. I dont think im going to buy Battle Royal, we'll see, I just don't consider it a fighting game and it seems too party like. I want a fighting game where you HAVE to get a smash ball (Party Ball, whatever it's called) to win.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm a Soul Calibur fan and I'm pretty darn good at it. Problem is I absolutely can not stand losing. All the Xbox 360 controllers I have destroyed have met their end due to Soul Calibur 4 and 5.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Im a huge fan of the fighting game genre ever since i was little. It began for me with the first Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 (damn i feel old). Though with the SNES, Mortal Kombat 3 was the game that i played the most.

I played alot of fighting games from different series: Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Dead or Alive, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters, Dragon Ball Z, Soul Calibur...i think thats about it? Oh and SSB, if you consider it as a fighting game.

My Fave titles:
Mortal Kombat 3 (just because of chilhood memories, in the era where we learned cheats from other people...without internet)
Mortal Kombat Trioligy (epic collection of all MK characters and more)
Mortal Kombat Deception (way better then Deadly Alliance, and it went downhill with its sequel Armageddon)
Mortal Kombat 2011 (OMG, they nailed this one alright, back to its roots while keeping it fresh, Mature Rate FTW)
Street Fighter 2 (just because of chilhood memories)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (just because of chilhood memories)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (awsome selection of characters, though infinite combo's was annoying)
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (little dissapointed that there is not a huge roster like its prequel, but still its a fun hyperactive game)
Tatsunoko vs Capcom (i find the gameplay mechanics and feel slightly better the MvC3, and of course the unusual choice of characters)
King of Fighters 95 (very first KOF game i played, i played this non-stop at the arcade...all those coins i wasted)
SNK vs Capcom Chaos (yes SNK developed and produced this one, and IMO i think SNK does a better job then Capcom)
King of Fighters XIII (im glad that SNK decided to stick to its roots with 2D sprites and improving it, there is a very different feel with sprite based fighters)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core (another awsome sprite based fighter, but the whole rock/metal theme keep things original)
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (game mechanics that work and isn't broken but balanced for once, cell shaded grapics to keep the anime feel)

MESSATSU
tumblr_lzmems5gsP1qdiz88o1_400.gif

Last edited:
I'm horrible at fighting games and I haven't really tried out too many. The only one that ever caught my eye was BlazBlue. I only have BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, and every time I play it, I only go into Training so that later some day I could go through the story without any trouble on the Normal mode. But I do enjoy the game.

Fig

The Altruist
I <3 Super Smash Bros., Street Fighter, and M.U.G.E.N. with a passion! :love: I always am filled with such adrenaline whenever I play these games. I guess it's because I can't stand the epicness whenever I play with someone! :xd:

I found myself watching some of the EVO streams this past weekend despite not owning or ever playing any of the fighting games featured. It's a genre I've never really been into playing, but as far as video games are concerned it makes a fairly enjoyable spectator event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom