• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

All 3 triforce pieces corrupt equally - my thoughts

This is just a random facebook post I wrote. Just random thoughts as a comment to status there. But I think what I ended up sriting has some merit worth discussing. Here is what I said. What do you think about it?

The triforce corrupts all equally. It does not discriminate.

Ganondorf is good overall. Well as good as the only bloke of his species can be. Far from perfect but not inherently evil. The triforce of power seeked out Ganondorf and corrupted him. This curruption left him greedy and this greed made him seek out the other two pieces of the triforce. In doing this he attempted to destroy hyrule. Not intentionally, he just didn't care. Only a means to an end.

The triforce of courage once Link was in posession of that currupted him as well. Made him bold and cocky. He would take risks no sane person would. He would just rush into a situation often head first without assessing the situation first. This often made things worse before they were improved.

The triforce of wisdom did corrupt Zelda too. The triforce of wisdom granted Zelda much knowledge and insight. Zelda's flaw was she over relied on this wisdom. She believed people would act in the most logical ways possible. Be their actions right or wrong, she believed they were all done based on logic. This is often her undoing as many events in Hyrule are often initially illogical and only make sense in hindsight after the fact. Also some characters like Girnham and Zant don't act logically at all. They just do random acts of evil. This flaw has often gotten Zelda into trouble. Similarity of this would be Dr Spock or Data from Star Trek. Both have trouble understanding that human emotions and other things can make people act seemingly illogically.

All 3 people here, Ganondorf, Link and Zelda need to not have the triforce pieces, ie leave it all stored away in the sacred realm, then none of these flaws would surface as there's no triforce to bring them on.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is just a random facebook post I wrote. Just random thoughts as a comment to status there. But I think what I ended up sriting has some merit worth discussing. Here is what I said. What do you think about it?

The triforce corrupts all equally. It does not discriminate.

Ganondorf is good overall. Well as good as the only bloke of his species can be. Far from perfect but not inherently evil. The triforce of power seeked out Ganondorf and corrupted him. This curruption left him greedy and this greed made him seek out the other two pieces of the triforce. In doing this he attempted to destroy hyrule. Not intentionally, he just didn't care. Only a means to an end.

The triforce of courage once Link was in posession of that currupted him as well. Made him bold and cocky. He would take risks no sane person would. He would just rush into a situation often head first without assessing the situation first. This often made things worse before they were improved.

The triforce of wisdom did corrupt Zelda too. The triforce of wisdom granted Zelda much knowledge and insight. Zelda's flaw was she over relied on this wisdom. She believed people would act in the most logical ways possible. Be their actions right or wrong, she believed they were all done based on logic. This is often her undoing as many events in Hyrule are often initially illogical and only make sense in hindsight after the fact. Also some characters like Girnham and Zant don't act logically at all. They just do random acts of evil. This flaw has often gotten Zelda into trouble. Similarity of this would be Dr Spock or Data from Star Trek. Both have trouble understanding that human emotions and other things can make people act seemingly illogically.

All 3 people here, Ganondorf, Link and Zelda need to not have the triforce pieces, ie leave it all stored away in the sacred realm, then none of these flaws would surface as there's no triforce to bring them on.

I dont know how many times it is reiterated but Ganondorf is the very embodiment of evil, it is stated over and over and over again both in the games and by Nintendo's official descriptions. He is not good deep down, that is never stated or implied at any point and were the triforce not an option for him he would have found another way to conquer Hyrule. He was both physically and magically powerful even before the triforce came to him so it is only natural the triforce of power ended up with him.

Link was courageous before obtaining the triforce of courage. It went to him and he didn't even know about it until Zelda revealed that it dwelled within him. It didn't give him courage as he already had it. He was not reckless and without his actions and bravery the world would have fallen to ruin.

Zelda arguably was the only one who did not deserve the triforce of wisdom and was the only one corrupted by it. She was not wise, she was inexperienced and wreckless, her actions and encouragement of link allowed Ganondorf to access the sacred realm and her revelation that she was in fact behind the disguise of sheik, got her kidnapped.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I wanna point out that when the triforce spilts into three they seek out those who embody the three virtues, Ganondorf due to the Power he wields from birth, Zelda due to her wisdom and the very fact she knew g-dorfs plans and Link he possessed the courage to save a forest guardian and one race from extinction and rescued a princess (Let's see Mario do better). But as we've seen the Triforce once in possession of a human becomes malleable able to be corrupted and in fact broken down, hell Lorule even managed to destroy theirs. This kinda implies at least to me, the Triforce is intrinsically bound to Hyrule to the point where when link left for Termina it left him, yet he was still courageous enough to save a land. Not only is it bound to Hyrule but i'd say in times of strife it seeks out hosts to house it's power. ONLY once have we seen Ganondorf successfully claim the full might of the triforce and he warped the Sacred Realm into a twisted Hellish plain of existence. Yea it can grant wishes but no one considers how much damage was done with just one third of the thing in g-dorfs possession.

He started out powerful and then literally destroyed Hyrule and started remaking it to his whims.

Reactions: Aku
That's when I stopped reading.
If you don't want to read all of the original post and incorrectly judge the post on the first 4 words, that's totally up to you. You have no idea how that statement is justified in the rest of the post though.
Also I am not saying I am correct in my post. It was a random thought I had.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I wanna point out that when the triforce spilts into three they seek out those who embody the three virtues, Ganondorf due to the Power he wields from birth, Zelda due to her wisdom and the very fact she knew g-dorfs plans and Link he possessed the courage to save a forest guardian and one race from extinction and rescued a princess (Let's see Mario do better). But as we've seen the Triforce once in possession of a human becomes malleable able to be corrupted and in fact broken down, hell Lorule even managed to destroy theirs. This kinda implies at least to me, the Triforce is intrinsically bound to Hyrule to the point where when link left for Termina it left him, yet he was still courageous enough to save a land. Not only is it bound to Hyrule but i'd say in times of strife it seeks out hosts to house it's power. ONLY once have we seen Ganondorf successfully claim the full might of the triforce and he warped the Sacred Realm into a twisted Hellish plain of existence. Yea it can grant wishes but no one considers how much damage was done with just one third of the thing in g-dorfs possession.

He started out powerful and then literally destroyed Hyrule and started remaking it to his whims.

Very true. From what I know, if someone who is not balanced in wisdom, power, and strength has the triforce, each piece will go and find who ever embodies these virtues. And also, as stated in ALttP, the triforce is neutral. If a corrupt person touches it, the world will see darkness, if a pure person touches it, the world will see light. Or something along those lines.

This is an interesting theory, @the8thark, but I don't think it's very accurate.

Ganondorf is literally the embodiment of the hatred of one of the most evil guys ever

Although that still means the Triforce pieces corrupt equally, as in they don't corrupt at all. The Triforce is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. A powerful tool, yes, but it's far from being the One Ring

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Ganondorf is literally the embodiment of the hatred of one of the most evil guys ever

Although that still means the Triforce pieces corrupt equally, as in they don't corrupt at all. The Triforce is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. A powerful tool, yes, but it's far from being the One Ring

A Tool? in the Oracle games it appears to have sentience sending link to the Lands of Holodrum and Labrynna on a quest. Hell it spoke to link

Well, it's worth pointing out that at least one time, Ganondorf is shown to kinda chill out. When he speaks with you in Wind Waker before the Puppet battle and the Final battle he comes off as pretty mellow. His default option is "spare Link and Zelda" in that one too. He only goes ape**** on you once Daphnes thwarts his plan, and even then it's… actually pretty understandable. Considering how long he's been conscious for, how long his plan has stretched, only to get screwed over because he didn't quite have his foot on the base. If I had to guess, I'd say the long time he had to cool down coupled with having the Triforce of Power balanced out somewhat by the Triforce of wisdom. But really, that's just one instance out of many.

Regardless of what I think, thanks for sharing your idea Ark. It was an interesting read.

A Tool? in the Oracle games it appears to have sentience sending link to the Lands of Holodrum and Labrynna on a quest. Hell it spoke to link
It could be the goddesses using it as a means to communicate to him. Their oracles were in trouble. But who knows, the Triforce is powerful after all.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
It could be the goddesses using it as a means to communicate to him. Their oracles were in trouble. But who knows, the Triforce is powerful after all.

I believe (don't quote me) that it spoke at the end of ALTTP but then i haven't played it in awhile so could be wrong.

Well, it's worth pointing out that at least one time, Ganondorf is shown to kinda chill out. When he speaks with you in Wind Waker before the Puppet battle and the Final battle he comes off as pretty mellow. His default option is "spare Link and Zelda" in that one too. He only goes ape**** on you once Daphnes thwarts his plan, and even then it's… actually pretty understandable. Considering how long he's been conscious for, how long his plan has stretched, only to get screwed over because he didn't quite have his foot on the base. If I had to guess, I'd say the long time he had to cool down coupled with having the Triforce of Power balanced out somewhat by the Triforce of wisdom. But really, that's just one instance out of many.

Regardless of what I think, thanks for sharing your idea Ark. It was an interesting read.
I once saw a theory on that. That Ganondorf was evil but he didn't realize it until in WW when the goddesses flooded Hyrule to stop him.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Each person in Ocarina of Time was already corrupt before getting Triforce piece. It's interesting though because it's their corruption that makes them the perfect people to weild their pieces.

Ganondorf is a theif, he is ruthless, he lacks most morals, and he is driven by lust for power to perform evil intentions. He is corrupted before getting his Triforce Piece.

Zelda is arrogant, she could be labled a “know-it-all” when in reality she doesn't know everything despite believing so. She is book smart no doubt, but her knowledge makes her believe she can meddle in things beyond her. Her intentions are good though, unlike Ganondorf, but they both have big egos probably due to their natural talents at magic which makes them probably feel pretty confident in themselves. She is corrupt before getting the piece of wisdom.

Link is also over-confident, particularly in OoT and WW, he has no experience in fighting yet he'll run into a battle without haste. He was corrupt before even getting his Triforce Piece.

The twist is through lust for power, a quest for greater wisdom, and acts of courage they all three are worthy of the Triforces pieces they obtain.

Now it's true in Ganondorf and Zelda's case their pieces corrupted them futher. Zelda ends up messing with time to send Link back in time to relive his childhood, if she honestly thought she could handle the backlash of such an action she was wrong. Ganondorf gets the Triforce of Power, yet still isn't satisfied, he wants more power, he wants the other two Triforce Pieces and honestly thinks that with his piece he can beat both Link and Zelda with ease.

Link actually matures once getting his piece as we see in Majora's Mask. He seems very confident but I wouldn't call it over-condidence, there's a difference between being confident yet having no experience in something and being confident and having experience to back the confidence up.

---

I also would like to point out that they each are only powerful, wise, and courageous from a certain point of view. Is Demise's curse wasn't applied to Ganondorf would he still be evil, would he still be driven to find greater power? I've already stated that Zelda is book smart, but it takes more than books to become wise you must also have hands on experience. Link runs into battle without haste, but does that really make him courageous? It can be argued that under certain circumstances that is foolishness, not courage.

This makes me wonder how the pieces are distributed and what exactly the Triforce is looking for, I'd assume it can't judge power, wisdom, and courage from mutiple aspects.

Last edited:
I don`t see Link or Zelda being corrupted at all sure they may be a little over confident at times but corrupted usually means it is a evil force doing the corrupting. In the case of Ocarina of time Link is sent out by the great Deku tree on his journey and through his quest faces stronger and stronger enemies as he goes. It seems to me that he is driven more by duty then over confidence in his abilities. Courage isn't just running in to a fight not worrying about what happens to you, its not the absence of fear , but the ability to face that fear no matter what because you must press on or die from that fear. Wind waker link is driven to fight because he wants to save his sister(and eventually the world) again the trails he face build up in difficulty. The only time it is shown that Link rushed head first in to battle is Hyrule Warriors and that`s non-canon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom