• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler About the Kokiri

I have always wondered this too. As more my theory, I believe that the Deku tree created them as children, and uses magic to stop the flow of time in the forest, so they can't grow up, however, the CAN grow up outside of the forest as time flows normally. As others have said before, they can't die of natural causes, but they can in other ways. If there were to be more Kokiri the Deku tree would have created them. In WW, the King of Red Lions states that Forest Haven looks like a Great tree from the Ocean. Indicating that it is the old Deku tree, while the Deku tree sprout resides inside Forest Haven. The Forbidden Woods is the Kokiri Forest. And because of the Great Flood, the Kokiri somehow evolved into the Koroks. I think they got separated From the Deku tree sprout during the Great Flood, and the Deku Tree could no longer use its magic to help the Kokiri. But the Kokiri eventually found their way back. What I don't understand though is, why can Saria make her way to the Sacred Grove if she has to go through the Lost Woods to get there. Why does she not turn into a Stalfos?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I'm in the process of reading through old interviews, and I found this endlessly interesting quote from 1997 (before OoT was finished):
Miyamoto said:
Link is a child of a race of elves called "Kokili." For some reason or another, there are no parents in this race, only many children of the same age. All of a sudden, they grow up until they reach a certain age, when they disappear. The next generation is born just as abruptly. So at some point, Link will disappear.
Now obviously Link didn't turn out to be a Kokiri after all, but I don't see any reason not to accept Miyamoto's description of the Kokiri life cycle. They're born and instantly become children, and eventually they just vanish. Of course, we still have plenty of room to speculate the nature of their disappearance. Do they disappear into the Lost Woods? Do they become trees? Do they become new Kokiri? Who knows...

Last edited:

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
what im thinking about the kokiri during the flood is that they took the deku tree sprout and moved inside the old deku tree. in there they moved high enough that the water couldn't get them. after spending so much time inside a tree, they turned into the Koroks, which are plant people.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt that they are born like a plant, I know that sort of brings up images of cabbage patch kids, but it makes sense.. I also do not think they are immortal, I just think the magic in the forest sort of freezes time so they remain young. Zelda games are heavy with myth and lore so enchanted forests seem likely.

Is the great deku tree a kokori, or is he like the father figure for all kokoris?
And is it possible that the deku sprout is the deku tree, because link doing the song of time messed up the flow of time? Probaly not, but it's just a thought.

I'm new to the forums, so could someone please explain to me what the signature thing is?

what im thinking about the kokiri during the flood is that they took the deku tree sprout and moved inside the old deku tree. in there they moved high enough that the water couldn't get them. after spending so much time inside a tree, they turned into the Koroks, which are plant people.
In oot, ther is water in the deku tree. How did that get there?

Sry first time doing quote. Probably did everything wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kokiri were made by the Deku Tree, as for if they live forever and die as children I'm not entirely sure, logic would suggest they must be able to die and reproduce for the to have evolved into the Koroks, but hey,it's zelda :p

It is actuall sad by either Aounoma or Miyamoto that the koroks are supposed to be what the kokiri become when they leave the forest, so no need for reproducing.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm in the process of reading through old interviews, and I found this endlessly interesting quote from 1997 (before OoT was finished):Now obviously Link didn't turn out to be a Kokiri after all, but I don't see any reason not to accept Miyamoto's description of the Kokiri life cycle. They're born and instantly become children, and eventually they just vanish. Of course, we still have plenty of room to speculate the nature of their disappearance. Do they disappear into the Lost Woods? Do they become trees? Do they become new Kokiri? Who knows...

I have never seen this before, it does shed a little bit of light on what was largely an unknown race that is mostly forgotten these days. So this essentially makes the Kokiri the Hyrule version of smurfs. That quote should really be on the wiki since ZU gets a few speculative threads on where do Kokiri go almost every week.

As far as reproduction, I have always taken the Deku Tree to be the actual creator of them, and not just the race. Each and every one of them.
That's because the Great Deku
Tree is our father, the forest
guardian, and he gave life to all
of us Kokiri!
I wonder if the Great Deku Tree
gave life to everything in the
forest, I mean in addition to us
Kokiri?

None of them ever speak of a parent, or even something like a parental figure other than the Deku Tree. The constantly talk of the Deku Tree as their father and creator. Since the Deku Tree created them I suspected something similar to how a plant is born. They are seeds or fruit of the tree, they might even grow from the ground around it. It is never seen or talked about, only that the tree creates them. So I doubt that they reproduce amongst themselves. No kokiri ever mentioned anything about how strange it was that Link appeared in the forest without kokiri parents. Nor even question his kokiri parentage. They accepted that he was there among them, only he did not have a fairy. I assumed that they might have had some form of young childhood because Link was not considered overly strange for once being a baby. If the other kokiri did not have any infancy then it would be absolutely clear that Link was definitely not a kokiri. So far the only thing that ever led anyone to think that Link was different in any way was that he had no fairy. So everything else must be the same, or at least very similar. i also though that they aged to a point and stopped. This was very evident since Mido and Saria looked exactly the same seven years later. Showing that they stop physically aging after age 11 or so.

Their disappearing is an interesting addition to hear, but not too different. It reminds me of the fairies when they are used, they disappear. The kokiri are also commonly called the spirits of the forest, this leads me to believe that they are not quite like the other races of Hyrule. They might have more spirit like properties than most other physical races living there. Poes act very similar as spirits, they often disappear at times or when they are defeated.

And what exactly happens to the Deku Tree when it dies? It sprouts again, like nature itself it returns from the ground and regrows again. The Deku Tree and the Kokiri as representatives of the natural world and the forest they live in would very likely follow the same rules. The kokiri might have the same cycle of life, death, and rebirth as the rest of nature. when they disappear into the forest, they may regrow again like the forest itself does every spring. Repeating the cycle, this is a common aspect of nature deities in real world mythology as well. To simulate the cycle of birth in spring, life in the summer and death in the fall, nature deities will sometimes follow a death and rebirth cycle.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I wonder, did the kokiri always exist, or did they come into existence when a baby was brought to the woods, by a dying woman, hoping to save her child? Had they always been human, or were they once plant-like or fairy-like in nature?

Curious how spirits of the forest only seem to have a Hylian form, when a Hylian is living among them, don't you think?

Djinn

and Tonic
I wonder, did the kokiri always exist, or did they come into existence when a baby was brought to the woods, by a dying woman, hoping to save her child? Had they always been human, or were they once plant-like or fairy-like in nature?

Curious how spirits of the forest only seem to have a Hylian form, when a Hylian is living among them, don't you think?

It may be possible that they did take a later shape of Hylian children. The Deku Tree already had knowledge that the baby brought into the forest was the child of legend.
For so long, the Kokiri Forest, the source of life, has stood as a barrier, deterring outsiders and maintaining the order of the world... But... before this tremendous evil power, even my power is as nothing... It seems the time has come for the boy without a fairy to begin his journey... The youth whose destiny it is to lead Hyrule to the path of justice and truth... Navi...go now! Find our young friend and guide him to me... I do not have much time left. Fly, Navi, fly! The fate of the forest, nay, the world, depends upon thee!"
The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest. After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri. And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!

He knew that Link was a child of destiny and that he had to guard him until the day Link would begin his quest. It could be possible that the Deku Tree changed the forms of the Kokiri to resemble Hylians for Link's benefit. Since the safety and security of Hyrule and the world would be a little bit more important than the Deku Tree's personal preference in his children's current forms. He is a direct servant of the goddess with a purpose in the land after all.

D

Deku Nut

I believe that the deku tree told the Kokori they would die if they leave the forest because Hyrule was never a safe place, there were wars and an evil King etc. I think the deku tried lied to keep them out of danger. And the Kokori do still exist but as Koroks

I heard and interesting theory somewhere, about how the human-like kokiri are not their true forms, they took this form to make feel link comfortable when he is a kid, its not that crazy, if the kokiri looked like they do in WW as Koroks, it would be weird for link to grow with them...

Edit: I didn't noticed the second page of this thread, seems like someone has already posted about this theory

Last edited:
The Kokiri only die when murdered. If they leave the forest, as evidenced by Mido and the others celebrating (and Saria having to live in the Sacred Realm for the rest of her life), they stay the way they are. Even if the Deku Tree dies, they stay the same, yet evil does pervade the forest. Now, the only real Kokiri we see that is dead is Fado in TWW, but Ganon attacked him and stole his soul. Anyway, as for the Kokiri "evolving" into the Koroks, I think that came about because they lived away from the Great Tree. They used to live in the Forbidden Woods, and that was a ways away from the Tree, and since the Deku Tree's magic couldn't prevent the evil from entering the Forbidden Woods, it makes sense that his magic doesn't prevent them from devolving into the Koroks.

Devolving? Koroks are an upgrade, son. They can fly.

Pen

The game is on!
The Great Deku Tree created the Kokiri and I think he decides when they should die, I think he has that sort of power. When he died the Kokiri kept living because the Deku Tree Sprout was just about to come. And when Hyrule was flooded I believe the Kokiri died along with much and many others, so the Deku Tree decided to create a race that could glide on the winds to cross the water, and so the Koroks were created. The Deku Tree has probably got the same power over the Koroks as over the Kokiris. That's my theory.

Deeds

no text
The reason Kokiri aren't in other games (my theory) is that they, possibly, evolve; into any forest based creature, for all we know, they could be the Kikwi's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom