• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Scary Thought

startimer

Resident Cartographer
Well this thought crossed my mind the other day...

What's going to happen to the Zelda series once Miyamoto retires?

Will they end it? will the rights be handed to someone else? will the resulting games be half as good as the ones already out there? more importantly, will they be canon? and if they do decide to end the series, will they reveal the timeline?

I'd like to hear what you think

(p.s. if there is already a thread like this i apologize)

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
For the time being, I can't imagine anything that would cause Nintendo to drop Zelda. As evidenced by this site, and many others, the world of Zelda is thriving, perhaps in its prime. Nintendo isn't stupid enough to drop Zelda, even if Miyamoto and Anouma were to retire. That said, if they were both gone, there would be some BIG problems.

Miyamoto has already handed several games entirely over to Aonuma. Him retiring wouldn't be any different.

As for Aonuma retiring... what makes you think someone else couldn't continue the series without screwing it up? I'll admit it would be a grim prospect, but I don't think it would necessarily be the end of the series.

Zarom

The King
I don't think that if Miyamoto isn't there anymore, it would really matters. Yes, he is a genius, but Aonuma did Zelda games (like OOX) without Miyamoto, and they were not that bad. And in the credits of LOZ and AOL, Miyamoto's name isn't even in there. So, that means he wasn't really involved in those games. And even without him, the games would be canon. :nod:

And even if Aonuma retires too, they are others people involved in the Zelda games, so I think Nintendo will never stop doing Zeldas, since it's one of their best selling games, as well as Mario and Pokemon. :)

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
Well the series could definitely continue, but I think that Anouma and Miyamoto have lots instore for Zelda that they already have planned, and they would be the best at making sure that Zelda carried on the way they intended. Their predecesors might start making irrelevnt games that do nothing to solve our questions. I think that for myself, having Anouma and Miyamoto there is more of a security blanket.

Hanyou

didn't build that
As I understand it, most of the screw-ups in Twilight Princess were due to Miyamoto's bright ideas.

I like the guy, but he can mess up his franchises just as easily as he can come up with good ideas. Look what happened to Star Wars--the KotOR games ended up being better than the Star Wars prequels. Star Wars didn't need George Lucas to stay alive, and frankly, he hurt it.

Ocarina and The Wind Waker remain my favorite Zelda games, and Aonuma certainly deserves credit for that. On top of that, I think The Minish Cap is proof that Nintendo doesn't even need to produce a Zelda game for it to be good. If Capcom can pay such respect to Zelda, why can't someone from within Nintendo--someone other than Miyamoto?

Ocarina and The Wind Waker remain my favorite Zelda games, and Aonuma certainly deserves credit for that. On top of that, I think The Minish Cap is proof that Nintendo doesn't even need to produce a Zelda game for it to be good. If Capcom can pay such respect to Zelda, why can't someone from within Nintendo--someone other than Miyamoto?
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto was involved with Minish Cap even though Nintendo as a whole was not.

I heard it somewhere. I don't really have a source to back me up, though.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
This gets me thinking? HOW many games will actually be made in the Zelda series? There is already what, 14? Will there be 20 one day? Will it even be pssible for a timeline theory to exist?

Zelda cannot go on forever....or...cannn itttt? Perhaps, The Legend of Nintendo: Miyamoto of Time. Yes... I'd order that.

serotonin_wraith

The Most Banned Member
This has happened in other forms of entertainment. Look at Mickey Mouse, or Winnie the Pooh. Still big brands, even though the creators are dead. They changed over the years, but with Zelda, he's already changed over the years so we should be used to it.

I expect it'll make an interesting topic when Miyamoto passes away. 'Does the latest Zelda lose anything due to this...?'

Evenstevenp

The Zelda Master
I'm sure Iwata or Sakurai will take over, seeing as they both already have big parts in development anyways. No biggie. But i'd still hate to see the big man go.

Last edited:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
The retirement of Miyamoto is a great fear of mine. I honestly feel that once he is out of the picture, Zelda will be done. Any future Zeldas just wouldn't be real to me. I'd still play them, especially if Capcom decided to get further involved, but Aonuma taking over frightens me. He's done good, but Miyamoto's been right there to guide him along. Once dear ol' Shiggy goes... I hope they'll just leave Zelda be after that.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well think about it. Miyamoto is a great developer and his right hand man, Anouma is also great. When Miyamoto retires I think he'll entrust Zelda to Anouma and start his golfing days. Really Anouma would probably do great with Zelda. If Myamoto doesn't think he can pull it off then I doubt Anouma would be his right hand man now would he? Yeah I think Anouma would do great with the Zeldas but really when Myamoto retires theres one franchise I worry more than Zelda about. Mario. Yeah he's my favorite Italian plumber and really as far as I know Myamoto doesn't have anyone like that one the Mario team. Yeah I really worry for the future of Mario after Myamoto's retirement.

octorok74

TETTAC
The Legend of Zelda must live on forever. Miyamoto, if you are reading this, either pray to God so you can live forever with undying youth, or have kids and force them to follow in your footsteps. A third option that I prefer is for me to be your apprentice. If Miyamoto were to die I would cry for weeks.

Even though he will leave someday I think we dont really need to worry about it at this point. He is having a really good time at what he's doin so oods are he wont retire anytime soon. But.... if he does It will probly still go on. Knowing that there are many zelda teams out there In the compony so I wouldnt worry. But still havin him gone would suck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom