• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Scary Microsoft Move I Wasn't Even Aware of

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
So, apparently I'm very late in learning about this, but it seems back in November Microsoft filed a patent for using visual surveilance technology to monitor (and thereby dictate) the way us consumers use our products. I have no idea what has come of this since I have only just learned about it, article can be found here.

Now, I'm a X-box fangirl myself, so this isn't some attempt to further slam Microsoft for what they attempted to do with the XBone, but it makes me a whole lot more vary on ever getting a device that dictates you to have Kinnect and it makes me worry about the future of other devices if we could see similar things happening in other devices that already have integrated cameras today.

I struggle to see what "good" intentions Microsoft may have with this technology, especially with the description of the patent basically stating the intention to monitor how consumers abide by restrictions of a license, which even could mean they intend to restrict how many people can view/play the same thing. I just find that disturbing, both in terms of their intention to use surveilance against us, but also that they envision a future where we don't get to be in control of the things we buy.

I for one would hate to see a future where say more than say four-five people watching the same movie would mean paying more money to upgrade some license. Or where cameras integrated in the devices I use report back to some corporation what I say or do in that camera's presence. Doesn't matter that I'm a law-abiding citizen, I don't agree with a society where big brother is watching your every move... it's downright creepy, really...

...Or where cameras integrated in the devices I use report back to some corporation what I say or do in that camera's presence. Doesn't matter that I'm a law-abiding citizen, I don't agree with a society where big brother is watching your every move... it's downright creepy, really...

The worst part is that if you really dig deeper into the "surveillance state", you start to see that we've moved beyond Orwell's idea for Big Brother.

////
DailyTech - Motorola Wants to Use Tattoos, Pills Instead of Smartphone Passwords

IRS Buying Spying Equipment: Covert Cameras in Coffee Trays, Plants | CNS News

Big Brother alert: Cameras in the cable box to monitor TV viewers - Washington Times

Report: School district scanned children's eyes for bus program without permission | Fox News

NSA spying flap extends to contents of U.S. phone calls | Politics and Law - CNET News

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This isn't new woot woot! The whole "tin foil hat" thing wasn't some conspiracy - they knew it'd come to pass! ;)

That's not to say "oh don't worry about it grow up," just saying that it wasn't completely unexpected. So...that's about it! Microsoft can go die in a hole for all I care (bar the OS).

Dan

Here in England we actually have robotik bugs that have cameras installed in their eyes, recently found one perched on my window and smashed it, I'm sick of this all and just want some privacy back, thank you.

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
I've kinda decided to boycott Xbox One and Microsoft-- it's just not ok that they are even thinking of doing any of that watching creepy stuff. It's my home, my life no one has a right to watch me like that and try to control me. :/

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I've kinda decided to boycott Xbox One and Microsoft-- it's just not ok that they are even thinking of doing any of that watching creepy stuff. It's my home, my life no one has a right to watch me like that and try to control me. :/

But you'd have to boycott cell phones, tablets, and many other devices! It isn't written in fine print, but if there's a device with a camera and even a sliver of Internet access, you can be assured that you're being watched! Or, at the very least, are capable of being watched ! D:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
As usual, I think people are watching too much Sci-fi... Microsoft is a business. They want to make money. This patent is not to spy on you, it's to somehow make money; the scenario discussed by MS was bringing the cinema to your home. A brand new movie's just came out. You buy 3 online tickets to see it, and Kinect makes sure only 3 of you are watching it. It's pretty simple, and that was the intention. You could watch brand new movies at home, way before they're on TV, DVD, Blu-ray, or on-demand. Whether it's going to happen or not, who knows, but MS is not the only company who have patents for technology that will never see the light of day. And it probably won't as it's simply too hard to cheat the system, but that was MS' intention.

So, take off your tin-foil hats, Microsoft has no intention of spying on you. Geez...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So, take off your tin-foil hats, Microsoft has no intention of spying on you. Geez...

Riiiight. Keep believing that they're just in it for money. If it's possible to be spied on, just trust that you are being spied on at any specific moment.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
@TBR
Saying a business operates for money is obvious. Who didn't know that here? What I'm saying is, if it has the mere capabilities of spying then you need to watch out. Yes, we have wiretaps going on. Yes, we've had hackers since the advent of PCs. But, do I really want someone getting direct feed video of what I'm doing in my living room? Caution is the key.

And it isn't just about what Microsoft is doing. As noted in an earlier post not by me, the NSA has access to everything Windows. That's what we know right now. Ask your self, "what about third parties using what they see on my Kinect to their advantage?". I'm not saying to shut down the Internet and wear tinfoil. I'm saying to be cautious with where you place your money and to know things beforehand. Even "being safe" isn't enough in this world, and everyone knows it. :I

If I need to, I reiterate that it isn't just about Microsoft here. You can't say "oh Microsoft's intention is the goodwill and genuine concern regarding the customer" to shut down any argument. You have to take in all possible cards. Be careful with what you do - online or not - becuase you CAN and WILL be spied on by somebody.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Don't want the Kinect spying on you? Solving the problem is simple, don't buy/throw away your Xbox.

We'll just have to wait for CFW on the Xbox One to disable the Kinect. wootwoot
Or you could just obfuscate the view of the Kinect, though I want to say it will probably require you to be in full view in order to use the One. Heck, I wouldn't put past Microsoft. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom