• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
References:- Breath of The Wild, Age of Calamity, All The Trailer of Tears of The Kingdom we got until 15 April 2023

It's 3:00 AM at my place and while in excitement for Tears of The Kingdom a Theory struck my mind that a sequel to Age of Calamity is Possible

Let Me Explain
In BOTW Link Defeated Calamity Ganon
In The First Trailer to Tears of The Kingdom the E3 2019 trailer we were shown that Link and Zelda were exploring a cave where they found corpse of ganondorf (Which Rehydrates Back Afterwards according to recent trailer)

Now in AOC Timeline
Things are little Different
Calamity Ganon Possessed Astor and Took a Humanoid Form(instead of Spider form born from a cocon like in BOTW) and was defeated by Link, Zelda and Others
But There is a Possibility that Link and Zelda could go on an exploration again in this timeline and could find corpse of ganondorf which could result in a sequel to Age of Calamity

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Yeah, considering the timeline split, there should still be a ganoncorpse in the basement in AoC. They never did get around to dealing with that. However, we also don't know what exactly triggered that Pandora's Box to open in BotW's timeline. It could be an event that only happens because BotW happened, for all we know, leaving AoC's ganoncorpse safely still tucked in bed for another few millennia. Ultimately, we'll have to know the full story on this Ganondorf before we can judge the validity of this. I don't really expect them to further explore this timeline split, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they do.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Yeah, considering the timeline split, there should still be a ganoncorpse in the basement in AoC. They never did get around to dealing with that. However, we also don't know what exactly triggered that Pandora's Box to open in BotW's timeline. It could be an event that only happens because BotW happened, for all we know, leaving AoC's ganoncorpse safely still tucked in bed for another few millennia. Ultimately, we'll have to know the full story on this Ganondorf before we can judge the validity of this. I don't really expect them to further explore this timeline split, but I certainly wouldn't complain if they do.

So now that TotK is out and we do know the trigger that caused him to wake up, we can answer this question. Here I want to explore how TotK's setup can still work in AoC's timeline. I'd also like to preface this by saying I'd prefer it being a DLC expansion rather than a second game.

Thanks to TotK, we know that Ganondorf's seal broke because of the Great Calamity of 100 years ago, not BotW's present day story. Which means the Great Calamity of AoC should still weaken his seal like on the main branch of the timeline, however this time we're on a new branch and 106 years later there won't be a hero and princess combo to save the day anymore when Ganondorf wakes up. So you would think that doesn't fit with TotK, right? UNLESS...

... Unless we consider events that are unique to AoC's timeline, as well. We know it happened very differently than in BotW's timeline, but stuff was still wrecked pretty bad even if the Calamity was averted this time. And AoC also had Astor and Harbinger Ganon going around making more monsters and fully reviving that timeline's Calamity Ganon, which did not happen in BotW's timeline. We can assume it's likely Astor and Habinger's fault theres so many more monsters in AoC compared to BotW's history. We know Terrako had to jump back far enough to before Link even got the Master Sword and met everyone else like he did in BotW's timeline so it actually starts a *lot* earlier on than the earliest point we see in BotW's memories. Taking that into consideration, with how different things are and how much Astor and Harbinger were mucking things around, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest their actions accelerated the weakening on Ganondorf's seal beneath Hyrule.

So if we assume that's true, it wouldn't be unrealistic to suggest a similar time jump to Ganondorf's revival that we see between BotW and TotK. So how could this work here? We can't send AoC's Zelda back in time because even in this timeline the Light Dragon should still exist. As a matter of fact, on this timeline we'd end up with two Zeldas and two Master Swords. Kinda awkward, huh? Here's how I think we can make that a little less awkward...

Gloom starts seeping out as it did in TotK. Link and Zelda go under the castle to investigate as they did in TotK, BUT this time they have Terrako with them. That will be the key that changes how this goes. Link still gets his Master Sword and his arm messed up, but Terrako is the one to intervene and prevent Zelda from getting yeeted back to the past by her sacred stone. Call it plot magic or triforce magic or whatever you want. Instead he yeets her up to the GSI while Rauru does the same to Link as in TotK. Upheaval still happens. However this time we can't really have several weeks or months pass from this point to when Link wakes up, yeah? So he'll just wake up sooner. Zelda will be up there too. Great Sky Island becomes a new battle map and you have the two of them navigate across it fighting soldier constructs or whatever so they can reunite at the temple of time and meet Rauru's ghost. This is where things can diverge from TotK's story and play out in a new Warriors-themed way.

So, how would the sages and the Light Dragon be handled here? There are two options for the sages; 1. have Terrako yoink them back from the future, post-TotK this time, giving Sidon, Yunobo, and Riju new costumes and weapons and giving us playable Tulin while poor Teba gets left out. Or 2. make the Champions into Sages this time (Revali is a bit iffy here though because its questionable whether there's evidence that suggests he has family ties with Teba and Tulin). Mineru, whose soul was hidden within the Purah Pad, can still resurface the same way she did in TotK, just make the Construct Factory and Spirit Temple into a Warriors map and the rest can work itself out. Playable Mineru Construct would be sick. As for the Purah Pad, it doesn't have runes like the Sheikah Slate did so I'm hesitant to say it can be a new tier of her Sheikah Slate weapon, but that's probably what's gonna have to happen. Just have Terrako work his plot magic on it I guess.

Now, as for the Light Dragon... On this timeline, she'd be stranded in a different history than the one she'd come from and that's depressing... but I think it has merits as an emotional story beat if handled right. She can return to human form here and become a separate playable character from the regular Zelda, labeled as the Sage of Time. And the second Master Sword that she was carrying can still be passed on to Link. There are two options for this, as well; 1. it does some goddess magic or whatever and merges with the decayed Master Sword that Link had originally. The easy way out, and not as interesting to me. Or 2. Sage of Time uses the magic she'd been storing up over millennia to fix the decayed Master Sword too so now Link gets to dual-wield two Master Swords as a new weapon type. A bit silly, yeah, but it would be goddamn cool and it'd be fitting of the nature of Warriors games. I'd prefer it that way, honestly. Speaking of new abilities they could also use Link's new arm here as well and come up with ways to include the hand abilities in combat like they did with runes. Make Terrako able to share them like he did with the runes before since that's the easiest thing to do. Also make Ganondorf playable (duh) and perhaps Rauru & Sonia ghosts as a playable duo or something as an extra treat. They could even use TotK's map screen as inspiration and be able to tab between the Depths and Sky for more points of interest since AoC's map is currently pretty packed.

So yeah. There's a lot they can do here. It can work. I'm not saying they're going to do this, I'm just saying it can be done. If they were going to do it at all, this is how I'd like to see it done.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So now that TotK is out and we do know the trigger that caused him to wake up, we can answer this question. Here I want to explore how TotK's setup can still work in AoC's timeline. I'd also like to preface this by saying I'd prefer it being a DLC expansion rather than a second game.

Thanks to TotK, we know that Ganondorf's seal broke because of the Great Calamity of 100 years ago, not BotW's present day story. Which means the Great Calamity of AoC should still weaken his seal like on the main branch of the timeline, however this time we're on a new branch and 106 years later there won't be a hero and princess combo to save the day anymore when Ganondorf wakes up. So you would think that doesn't fit with TotK, right? UNLESS...

... Unless we consider events that are unique to AoC's timeline, as well. We know it happened very differently than in BotW's timeline, but stuff was still wrecked pretty bad even if the Calamity was averted this time. And AoC also had Astor and Harbinger Ganon going around making more monsters and fully reviving that timeline's Calamity Ganon, which did not happen in BotW's timeline. We can assume it's likely Astor and Habinger's fault theres so many more monsters in AoC compared to BotW's history. We know Terrako had to jump back far enough to before Link even got the Master Sword and met everyone else like he did in BotW's timeline so it actually starts a *lot* earlier on than the earliest point we see in BotW's memories. Taking that into consideration, with how different things are and how much Astor and Harbinger were mucking things around, I don't think it's a stretch to suggest their actions accelerated the weakening on Ganondorf's seal beneath Hyrule.

So if we assume that's true, it wouldn't be unrealistic to suggest a similar time jump to Ganondorf's revival that we see between BotW and TotK. So how could this work here? We can't send AoC's Zelda back in time because even in this timeline the Light Dragon should still exist. As a matter of fact, on this timeline we'd end up with two Zeldas and two Master Swords. Kinda awkward, huh? Here's how I think we can make that a little less awkward...

Gloom starts seeping out as it did in TotK. Link and Zelda go under the castle to investigate as they did in TotK, BUT this time they have Terrako with them. That will be the key that changes how this goes. Link still gets his Master Sword and his arm messed up, but Terrako is the one to intervene and prevent Zelda from getting yeeted back to the past by her sacred stone. Call it plot magic or triforce magic or whatever you want. Instead he yeets her up to the GSI while Rauru does the same to Link as in TotK. Upheaval still happens. However this time we can't really have several weeks or months pass from this point to when Link wakes up, yeah? So he'll just wake up sooner. Zelda will be up there too. Great Sky Island becomes a new battle map and you have the two of them navigate across it fighting soldier constructs or whatever so they can reunite at the temple of time and meet Rauru's ghost. This is where things can diverge from TotK's story and play out in a new Warriors-themed way.

So, how would the sages and the Light Dragon be handled here? There are two options for the sages; 1. have Terrako yoink them back from the future, post-TotK this time, giving Sidon, Yunobo, and Riju new costumes and weapons and giving us playable Tulin while poor Teba gets left out. Or 2. make the Champions into Sages this time (Revali is a bit iffy here though because its questionable whether there's evidence that suggests he has family ties with Teba and Tulin). Mineru, whose soul was hidden within the Purah Pad, can still resurface the same way she did in TotK, just make the Construct Factory and Spirit Temple into a Warriors map and the rest can work itself out. Playable Mineru Construct would be sick. As for the Purah Pad, it doesn't have runes like the Sheikah Slate did so I'm hesitant to say it can be a new tier of her Sheikah Slate weapon, but that's probably what's gonna have to happen. Just have Terrako work his plot magic on it I guess.

Now, as for the Light Dragon... On this timeline, she'd be stranded in a different history than the one she'd come from and that's depressing... but I think it has merits as an emotional story beat if handled right. She can return to human form here and become a separate playable character from the regular Zelda, labeled as the Sage of Time. And the second Master Sword that she was carrying can still be passed on to Link. There are two options for this, as well; 1. it does some goddess magic or whatever and merges with the decayed Master Sword that Link had originally. The easy way out, and not as interesting to me. Or 2. Sage of Time uses the magic she'd been storing up over millennia to fix the decayed Master Sword too so now Link gets to dual-wield two Master Swords as a new weapon type. A bit silly, yeah, but it would be goddamn cool and it'd be fitting of the nature of Warriors games. I'd prefer it that way, honestly. Speaking of new abilities they could also use Link's new arm here as well and come up with ways to include the hand abilities in combat like they did with runes. Make Terrako able to share them like he did with the runes before since that's the easiest thing to do. Also make Ganondorf playable (duh) and perhaps Rauru & Sonia ghosts as a playable duo or something as an extra treat. They could even use TotK's map screen as inspiration and be able to tab between the Depths and Sky for more points of interest since AoC's map is currently pretty packed.

So yeah. There's a lot they can do here. It can work. I'm not saying they're going to do this, I'm just saying it can be done. If they were going to do it at all, this is how I'd like to see it done.
Letting this marinate more in my mind and came up with a few more ideas.

So the initial chapter of the expansion that I described before where Terrako yeets Zelda to the Great Sky Island as Rauru still does the same to Link would actually play out better as Zelda and Terrako searching for Link across the GSI and he's the end goal of the quest. To kind of parallel that segment in TotK where Link searches the GSI for Zelda. They do find him and help him get back on their feet as Rauru's ghost guides them. Link gets the hand powers after that. The Master Sword would then become unavailable for him to use until they meet the Light Dragon and get the second Master Sword, which would become a separate equippable weapon. You would regain access to the old singular Master Sword + Hylian Shield, and then the Dual Master Swords becomes its own separate weapon that you can choose to use, and that would become Link's main weapon for the story from then on out.

So how I would introduce the hand powers into AoC's format, without interrupting the runes, is I would put them on the same trigger button as the runes, but on the d-pad so that the runes can still be used on the face buttons. Similarly, we can select a few choice zonai devices to put on the other trigger with the magic rods and apples, doing the same thing with the d-pad. We could then incorporate these new abilities into environmental and combat mechanics, with Terrako sharing them between all the characters like he does with the runes.

Ascend is easy. It would still work the same way as in TotK, but it would see the most use on new maps with more verticality. Would also be good to use it on Battle Taluses like in TotK. Recall would also work the same way as in TotK; use it to reflect non-metal projectiles and also as an environmental gimmick like when enemies try rolling spike balls at you. Fuse could be used on zonai devices laying around, which I would have sprinkled throughout the maps as a new environmental thing you can do. Stick something to your weapon for a quick effect. And Ultrahand would basically function as Autobuild to snap some of these environmental zonai devices together into a preset construction that will either attack enemies or allow you to traverse gaps in the map i.e. flinging yourself across a gap between sky islands, similar to how the little paraglider bits in AoC were. You would also be able to collect zonai capsules as a drop item, which then can be used on the R trigger where the magic rods are (but only certain ones, like maybe the rocket). Fuse could also be a new mechanic at the blacksmith to upgrade Link's weapons further. We already have weapon fusion in base AoC, but here we could have a separate menu for a new way to do it like how it works in TotK.

THE DESTINY will somehow get Zelda to travel in the past either way.
If there is no AoC2 sequel, that that just means that Raura defeated Ganondorf, and Calamity Ganon was just ghost of a long dead Demon King.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
THE DESTINY will somehow get Zelda to travel in the past either way.
If there is no AoC2 sequel, that that just means that Raura defeated Ganondorf, and Calamity Ganon was just ghost of a long dead Demon King.
Nah, that can't work. If we assume Ganondorf was defeated by Rauru, that means that Zelda is either stuck in the past or stuck as the Light Dragon forever or she never went back at all. Which means that this version of events has to happen on a different timeline than the one we see in BotW/TotK, and we know that it can't happen on AoC's split because we know when that split begins.

Sal

I think they would definitely explore the Imprisoning War as a possible Hyrule Warriors game (which major changes, of course), but I don't think they will invest on it, maybe to hold people off until another Zelda game is released, probably another remaster too along the way.

Nah, that can't work. If we assume Ganondorf was defeated by Rauru, that means that Zelda is either stuck in the past or stuck as the Light Dragon forever or she never went back at all. Which means that this version of events has to happen on a different timeline than the one we see in BotW/TotK, and we know that it can't happen on AoC's split because we know when that split begins.
I said that "if we never got a game", that means that AoC happens because Rauru must have vanquished Ganondorf, and Zelda never needed to travel in the past. If we do get a new Musou game, that writers need to have Zelda through Destiny go into the Depths and pick the Zonai Stone.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I said that "if we never got a game", that means that AoC happens because Rauru must have vanquished Ganondorf, and Zelda never needed to travel in the past. If we do get a new Musou game, that writers need to have Zelda through Destiny go into the Depths and pick the Zonai Stone.
Whether we get a new game or not, it can't happen that way in AoC's timeline because thats not how it happened on the main timeline, which AoC split off from.

AoC Zelda can't go back in time, either, because then there'd be two Zeldas in the past. TotK shows us that's not what happened.

References:- Breath of The Wild, Age of Calamity, All The Trailer of Tears of The Kingdom we got until 15 April 2023

It's 3:00 AM at my place and while in excitement for Tears of The Kingdom a Theory struck my mind that a sequel to Age of Calamity is Possible

Let Me Explain
In BOTW Link Defeated Calamity Ganon
In The First Trailer to Tears of The Kingdom the E3 2019 trailer we were shown that Link and Zelda were exploring a cave where they found corpse of ganondorf (Which Rehydrates Back Afterwards according to recent trailer)

Now in AOC Timeline
Things are little Different
Calamity Ganon Possessed Astor and Took a Humanoid Form(instead of Spider form born from a cocon like in BOTW) and was defeated by Link, Zelda and Others
But There is a Possibility that Link and Zelda could go on an exploration again in this timeline and could find corpse of ganondorf which could result in a sequel to Age of Calamity
Seriously, I would really love to see another Hyrule Warriors game, whether it is a direct sequel to AoC or not. But the real question is, what would the plot be? And would we as a community actually enjoy that potential game?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Been playing more AoC lately and this is still cooking in my brain. I'm gonna compile my two previous posts and fluff it out some more.

... Unless we consider events that are unique to AoC's timeline, as well. First we should establish what we know about AoC's timeline split. We know that Terrako had to have gone back in time pretty far comparatively, because Link didn't yet have the Master Sword and hadn't yet met Zelda and Daruk the ways BotW described they did. The very start of AoC must happen much earlier on than the earliest point we ever see in BotW's memories. Knowing that, it makes sense why things happen so much differently than the history BotW's memories painted. We can assume there were so many more monsters that massive-scale battles the likes of which were unheard of in BotW's history became necessary because Astor and Harbinger Ganon were going around creating more monsters for the purpose of expediting the Calamity's revival. We never hear of Astor in BotW's history, because Harbinger Ganon wasn't around to choose him. So because of these two mucking things around, the Calamity's revival actually happened earlier than it did in BotW's history. This is important information for later.

So we know that because this is a timeline split that occurs just before the events of BotW's 100-year history, the setups of TotK's history still apply. On the main timeline, it took 106 years for Ganondorf to wake up after the Great Calamity weakened his seal. On the split timeline, the Calamity was averted, but the damage was still done, and the battle dragged on longer and had Astor and Harbinger doing things that never happened in BotW's history. Most notable of these is fully reviving this timeline split's Calamity Ganon, which we know was done by Harbinger Ganon absorbing Astor and assumedly merging with the Calamity Ganon that was already present in this timeline. We know they had to become one at some point because when they defeat him, Calamity Ganon is gone and the Calamity is over. So he did in fact fully revive, something he didn't get the chance to do in BotW's history because Zelda stepped up to seal him away for 100 years while he was still a cloud of malice. Because of this major difference, and because of the connection between Calamity Ganon and Ganondorf, I think it's fair to propose that this split timeline's Ganondorf can wake up after a similar timeskip as seen between BotW and TotK. Meaning, we can still do a "6 years later" after AoC's ending for this and it would still make sense. TotK's prologue can still commence as it did on the main timeline.

So how could this work here? We can't send AoC's Zelda back in time because even in this timeline the Light Dragon should still exist. As a matter of fact, on this timeline we'd end up with two Zeldas and two Master Swords. Kinda awkward, huh? Here's how I think we can make that a little less awkward...

Gloom starts seeping out as it did in TotK. Link and Zelda go under the castle to investigate as they did in TotK, BUT this time they have Terrako with them. That will be the key that changes how this goes. Link still gets his Master Sword and his arm messed up, but Terrako is the one to intervene and prevent Zelda from getting yeeted back to the past by her sacred stone. Call it plot magic or triforce magic or whatever you want. Instead he yeets her up to the Great Sky Island while Rauru does the same to Link as in TotK. Upheaval still happens. However this time we can't really have several weeks or months pass from this point to when Link wakes up, yeah? So instead of starting the Great Sky Island chapter as Link, you would start it as Zelda and Terrako as Rauru guides them across the island to find Link, to parallel TotK. Fighting through a Warriors map full of Soldier Constructs with Link as the end goal. He would hold on to the Decayed Master Sword and the Master Sword weapon itself would become unavailable to use in-game for a while. Zelda would gain the Purah Pad as a 4th tier of her Sheikah Slate weapon. This is where we can diverge to make a Warriors-themed story, and this would be the start of Chapter 8 in AoC.

Now, for here, we can mirror the story progress from the early chapters of AoC. The Great Sky Island can be CH8M1, and then we can go to CH8M2 on the surface and use an adjusted map of North Hyrule Field and Castle Town that we see in "All Hyrule, United"; adjusted to account for the changes in TotK like fallen blocks and Lookout Landing, which was created to research the gloom and then repurposed into a base to search for Link and Zelda after they went missing. Link and Zelda evacuate the town and reunite with King Rhoam who is still alive on this split. Also, have King Rauru's ghost accompany them as a new playable character instead of vanishing. Just like in TotK, most of the Sheikah tech has vanished except for the stuff Robbie and Purah are creating, so now Lookout Landing is the new home base on the map screen and title screen instead of the Sheikah Tower.

Next we can do Chapter 9 and have it mirror Chapter 2. There can be four missions in this chapter, each revisiting the Champions and dealing with the sudden changes to their towns. So rather than recruiting them like in CH2, instead we're helping them defend their homes on adjusted maps. After this, we can move to Chapter 10. After the towns are relatively safe, the Champions reconvene at Lookout Landing and try to figure out what's going on. In doing so, Puppet Zelda is sighted heading into the Hyrule Field Chasm. CH10M1 takes place at the Great Abandoned Central Mine, and the now-friendly Yiga help track her down and expose her. Puppet Zelda and Phantom Ganon become a boss here. After this, I would have Mineru make her presence in the Purah Pad known and lead the group to their next objective; the Construct Factory and Spirit Temple. This would be CH10M2 and is how you would recruit Mineru's Construct as a new playable character.

Now it's time for Chapter 11. What I would have happen here is another four missions on brand new maps, each involving the four new dungeons and include the bosses from TotK. Mineru and Rauru lead each of the Champions back to their homes and into these dungeons. The Champions now become the Sages of this era and get a new outfit that includes their Secret Stones and a 4th weapon tier that's their Champion Weapon again but with their Secret Stone symbols superimposed behind them. Revali is a bit iffy here because he's not outright stated to have family ties to Teba and Tulin, but Revali's Gale and Tulin's Power of Wind being almost exactly the same thing seems to suggest some kind of blood connection.

Now that the Champions have upgraded into Sages, it's time for Chapter 12. Now Mineru explains what should have happened to the Zelda and the Master Sword from the main timeline. They go back to Korok Forest for CH12M1 to speak with the Great Deku Tree and free him from a Phantom Ganon. The Deku Tree is able to make sense of Mineru's story and explains that there should be a second Zelda and Master Sword in this timeline, and just like he does for Link in TotK, he helps the party find them. This brings us to CH12M2, back on the Great Sky Island fighting off hordes of monsters and Phantom Ganons to get to the Light Dragon. A more powerful Puppet Zelda is the boss of this mission, and after defeating her, Rauru discovers that the ghost of Sonia has been with this Zelda all along. Just like at the end of TotK, Rauru and Sonia's ghosts use an extremely powerful version of recall channeled through the Sacred Stone Zelda had kept, and return the Light Dragon to her previous form. This second Zelda becomes as separate new playable character that can be referred to in-game as Sage of Time, with her Secret Stone as her weapon type. Link will also get the second Master Sword, and after another powerful recall, the first Master Sword is restored, as well. Link dual wields them both as a new weapon type, and the old Master Sword and Hylian Shield from the base game becomes accessible again, too.

Sage of Time is able to realize that this is a timeline divergence and understands there should be another version of her that gets the Master Sword to the Link that she knew from her own timeline, and decides to stay here and help. Sonia ghost becomes another new playable character along with her, and from here we dive into Chapter 13, the final chapter of the expansion. CH13M1 will take place at Hyrule Castle, adjusted to account for the new split levels. This can work like the Lanayru Road map from Guardian of Remembrance where there were two separated battlefields with different things happening on them in the same scenario. The castle was suddenly overtaken by monsters and they must reclaim it. Mummy Ganondorf appears in the Sanctum as the boss of this mission. Our heroes are in trouble against him, and so Terrako does one last yoink from the future and calls Sidon, Yunobo, Riju, and Tulin from the future, post-TotK this time, in their full Sage power for one last hurrah on this timeline. Each of them gets a new outfit to make their appearance match their TotK designs while Tulin is introduced as playable. They get the Champion Weapons as new weapon types for each of them with new movesets, and to differentiate from the other Champion Weapons, we can give them that sparkle effect that pristine weapons you find in the Depths in TotK have. From here, we move into CH13M2, the final battle, in the deepest part of the Depths. This will be a highly expanded version of the War in the Depths of Hyrule phase of TotK's final battle, leading up to rehydrated Ganondorf as the final boss. Demon King Ganondorf gets to be a phase change, and so does Demon Dragon with a brand new exclusive arena in the sky for this fight, like the Blights got in AoC.

After Demon Dragon is defeated, the Future Sages return home to their timeline and the ghosts of Rauru, Sonia, and Mineru can now all pass on in peace. Sage of Time stays in this timeline in a bittersweet realization that she isn't able to return to her original timeline because there's already another version of her there. This timeline split now has two Master Swords for good. The heroes have a moment like the true ending of TotK where they all vow to continue to defend Hyrule.

Now that we've covered the story for this expansion, we need to move on to the game mechanics. I said before that Link's arm would still get jacked up so he'd still get Rauru's arm here. So how I would introduce the hand powers into AoC's format, without interrupting the runes, is I would put them on the same trigger button as the runes, but on the d-pad so that the runes can still be used on the face buttons. Similarly, we can select a few choice zonai devices to put on the other trigger with the magic rods and apples, doing the same thing. We could then incorporate these new abilities into environmental and combat mechanics, with Terrako sharing them between all the characters like he does with the runes. Rune counters and abilities still function the same as in the base game thanks to Terrako beefing up the Purah Pad.

Ascend is easy. It would still work the same way as in TotK, but it would see the most use on new maps with more verticality. Would also be good to use it on Battle Taluses like in TotK. Recall would also work the same way as in TotK; use it to reflect non-metal projectiles and also as an environmental gimmick like when enemies try rolling spike balls at you. Fuse could be used on zonai devices laying around, which I would have sprinkled throughout the maps as a new environmental thing you can do. Stick something to your weapon for a quick effect. For example, use Fuse on Flame/Frost/Shock Emitters to add a brief elemental effect to your attacks, and Fuse a Beam Emitter to shoot a beam whenever you guard for a short time. And Ultrahand would basically function as Autobuild to snap some of these environmental zonai devices together into a preset construction that will either attack enemies or allow you to traverse gaps in the map i.e. flinging yourself across a gap between sky islands, similar to how the little paraglider bits in AoC were. You would also be able to collect zonai capsules as a drop item, which then can be used on the R trigger where the magic rods are, but only certain ones, like maybe the Rocket and Time Bombs and Springs and Waterspouts.

As for the map screen, do what TotK did and make it possible to tab between the Sky and the Depths to access more points of interest. Add all the new points in the Zonai green color so they don't get lost among all the old Sheikah blues. This will give plenty of space for more stuff without overcrowding the already-pretty-full map we currently have in AoC. Also, we can make Ganondorf a new playable character (Demon King form costume included) through some postgame missions. All characters would get upgraded abilities and new moves and increased level cap, as well. And naturally, Link will get access to all the new armors introduced in TotK (including the version of the Hylian Hood with the hood down) as well as new weapons that fit in his types. Zelda will also get her starting outfit as a costume while Sage of Time gets the Zonai dress.

I want this to be DLC instead of a second game because I think the nature of AoC makes it much easier to just pick it back up and continue on, and I wanna keep all my upgraded weapons and stuff (and I don't wanna buy yet another full priced game lol). I just think it makes more sense to do it as an expansion instead of a sequel. Now, would they actually make an expansion for a 3-year-old game like that? Unlikely. I would just prefer it if they did. Like I said, I'm not saying that they're going to do this; just that if they did it at all, this is how I want it to happen. The only snag with that, though, is that AoC also sort of sets up for TotK with the Future Champions and the DLC which first introduced Tulin as having Power of Wind. I believe that the current play order to best experience the story of these three games is BotW > AoC > TotK. So this DLC expansion would then make that BotW > up through Guardian of Remembrance of AoC > TotK > the expansion of AoC. That's kinda awkward. Even so, I'd still prefer it as DLC... For one final wrinkle, I'm gonna go for the low hanging fruit and say this expansion should be named Age of Upheaval.

Just hire me already, Nintendo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom