• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

7th Gen Games Forgot to Come with Replay Value?

Hmm is it just me... Or Am I not getting the same felling to replay the game again from the current Generations of Games. Twilight Princess was an Exception of this (It was a gamecube game First!) But Really... I'm not getting the Same feel from it unlike the older games Like Final Fantasy IX, And Majora's Mask.
Something is off... Even Games like Infamous that pretty much forces you to play through the game is kinda just shoving it down your throat... Same thing with Catherine, It has multiple endings, And it's a good game... but I can Only stomach one play through... It's like... games now a days Force you to replay it... and I was hoping not to get the same vibe from Skyward Sword... But I did... The Only game that I can you know chill out and have a blast every now and then was Castle Crashers! Seriously! Castle Crashers. I'm guessing this only comes from disc based games or Hard Copy but really... I'm starting to feel like that the Next gen games are just here to eat up my money for one go... and then fails to provide for the years to come. Does any one else feel this way?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Twilight Princess and replay value? lol, playing through it as a Minimalist run is exactly the same as playing 100 percent run: easy. Final Fantasy XIII has replay value IMO. Resident Evil 5 has somewhat replay value. Resident Evil 4HD has obvious replay value. Dead Space and DS2 have replay value. Hmm...Super Smash Bros Brawl, and many other games have replay value. I agree though that RV as a concept is pretty much endangered, and I blame games like Zelda Skyward Sword, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Splinter Cell Conviction and Dark Void for giving us that ridiculous "second playthrough with little variance at all". :/

I wish games could be like Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, where I could stomach 10 playthroughs in about a week and still not get tired. Or like in Resident Evil Zero where a second playthrough lets us keep all the items and what not so we can plow through things. Not like in SS where we get Hero Mode which was just a way for Nintendo to troll the veteran players.

There were a few games that had good replay value for me this generation. Like Portal 1 and 2, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Sonic Generations, and Skyward Sword all had replay value for me.

I sort of disagree. Some games, like Catherine and Skyward Sword, I would'nt mind playing again. But there are a few that I have no intention to play again. Catherine and SS are some of my favorite games, so it does take alot for me to want to replay a game.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I can see where you're getting that idea from but what I think is that you simply haven't played many re-playable new gen games. What about the Super Mario Galaxy games? Those were rich in replay value for me, and I don't mean just the "forced" replayability you described. As for the retro games, I think you've mostly played the most popular game which got popular partially on replay value. Of course, I don't know what games you've played or even what makes a game replayable to you so I apologize if my assumptions are wrong.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I in no way see how replay value is fading away. Many games today have lots of content that can keep you busy for a long time. Especially in this generation where we have an achievement and trophy system which encourages you to challenge yourself and accomplish more in your game. DLC is another thing that adds replay value to many games of this generation. Many games today don't just give you a campaign, they give you extra modes to make your game last longer. Take Batman Arkham City for example, not only did it have a meaty campaign filled with lots to do, but it gave us challenge maps and unique characters to complete them with. The campaign itself after passing it lets you do it once more but in a more challenging way while giving you the chance to collect items you might have missed in your previous playthrough. Even Splinter Cell Conviction had replay value. The levels were designed so that you can do them differently each time you playthrough the game. It also had challenges for you to complete along with a co-op campaign and other unique modes. Oh replay value and how you never left...

MW7

I mostly blame the increasing amount of linearity of games for the decreasing amount of replay value. However, this is a generalization that must have many exceptions, and I don't play a ton of non-Nintendo games but can give at least one example of one with tons of replay value. One of my favorite games of this generation was Hitman: Blood Money, and it had a truckload of replay value. Many of the missions were absurdly nonlinear so you could play most of the missions a dozen times and do completely different things. That's what nonlinearity does- it makes repeat playthroughs different so really they aren't so repetitive.

For Zelda games it's frustrating for me how they are starting to design the games. In A Link to the Past you can do the second half of the game in hundreds (my estimate) of unique orders, and depending upon how you progress through the game you'll have different items with you which can change how you proceed through the dungeons. Plus there are items that are really helpful early on that can be obtained earlier to help in dungeons. In Twilight Princess the designers took the same outline of "collect so many of these things" as in A Link to the Past but arbitrarily set it so that you had to progress in a set order. They even introduce you to all four people who lead you to the four dungeons at once; how hard would it have been to let you ask one for help and then proceed to that dungeon. The only constraint they needed was that the dominion rod was needed to get to the City in the Sky. Wouldn't it have been a more replayable game if you could have had the ball and chain to fight the skeletons in Arbiter's Grounds or added some new way through Arbiter's Grounds or Snowpeak if you had the double clawshots from City in the Sky?

Dan

Games I've recently played with great replay value.

Sonic Generations
Sonic and sega all stars racing
No more heroes (although those sidejobs can get pretty annoying)
Resident evil 5
Zelda oot 3D (yeah it's a port of an n64 game but whatever)
Mario kart wii
street fighter 4
street fighter x tekken
rayman origins

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
There were a few games they had replay to them, but yes comparing them to older gen games, they are not as good or memorable,

the assassins creed games have tonnes of replay value. Through both completing all the sidequests and acheivements, the online play and just finding new and fun ways to traverse the city and kill guards.

donpedrox

Thrilla in Manilla
Tales of Graces F has tons of replay value its for the Wii and PS3 also Tales of the Abyss on 3ds yea its a port bu still tons of replay value

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom