• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Forums - Zelda Dungeon Forums

misskitten
misskitten
Mind you, "jeg er lei for det" can also be used as an apology
Batman
Batman
So:

Unnskyld = Sorry (as in, sorry for bothering you/I apologize)
Unnskyld meg = Excuse me (as in, pardon/I apologize)

Beklager = Sorry (as in pardon)
Jeg bekalger = I'm sorry (as in excuse me/I apologize)

Is that about right? I won't bother you with any more questions today after this :P
misskitten
misskitten
"Unnskyld meg" is basically "excuse me/pardon me", but it's not really used as an apology
Batman
Batman
I'm having some trouble with Norwegian possessives, as it's quite different from the way English does things. I'm going to construct a silly paragraph with lots of possessives done in different ways, and throw in a few location words I've been learning too. Let me know if I'm being grammatical.
Batman
Batman
"My wife's dog is eating the cat's food. The cats are eating the dogs' apples and your chairs are on the floor behind the table. The letter is ours and the girl loves her man. The girl loves her (someone else's) man too. The boy likes her book. We like the teachers' cups and we are visiting the chef's house. The chef's house is down past the store. Are the children yours (plural)?"
Batman
Batman
Mi kones hund spiser kattens mat. Kattene spiser hundenes epler og dine stoler står på gulvet bak bordet. Brevet er vårt og jenta elsker mannen sin. Jenta elsker hennes mann også. Gutten liker boken hennes. Vi liker læreres kopper og vi er på besøk kokkens hus. Kokkens hus er nedenfor butikken. Er barna deres?
misskitten
misskitten
Min kone* (spoken it varies with the use of "mi" or "min", but written it's "min")

lærernes kopper* (it's definite plural, not indefinite plural)

Not a possessive error, but correcting this as well, it should be corrected to either
"vi besøker kokkens hus" or "vi er på besøk hos kokken"
misskitten
misskitten
Other than that you're doing very well
misskitten
misskitten
I'm rethinking what I said about the use of "mi" and "min", in some instances you can write "mi", but it's usually when constructed this way:

"kona mi"
"dama mi"
misskitten
misskitten
I think it may have to do with formality. "Min kone" is more formal, used more in formal toned conversations, while "Kona mi" is more used in a regular conversation
misskitten
misskitten
Also, I'd switch another thing around. "Dine stoler" is perfectly correct to use, but we're more likely to say "stolene dine"
misskitten
misskitten
Actually in many examples we'd put the object before using the possessive word for it. At least if the word is min/din/sin or hans/hennes/deres
misskitten
misskitten
At least when we make a statement, while in a question we're more likely to put the possessive word first, though we can do either.
misskitten
misskitten
Example:

"Er det din bil?"
"Det er bilen min"
Batman
Batman
Thank you so much for the feedback.
Batman
Batman
So, I have totally stopped learning Norwegian because I'm super lazy and I just don't have enough incentive to keep doing this long term. I've failed the people of Norway. Jeg beklager. :(
misskitten
misskitten
It's difficult to keep at it, I'm the same when it comes to sign language, would love to know it, but don't have the incentive to keep at it so I do actually learn it and not just a few words here and there...
Batman
Batman
Yeah, unfortunately my only incentive at the moment is "it'd be interesting to learn" and that's just not enough at the time being. I really enjoyed what I learned though and I hope to pick it back up in the future. I think it's a really beautiful language.
misskitten
misskitten
If you ever give it another go, you could try to find Norwegian movies/videos that are subtitled. One of the big things that contributed to me learning English easier was how I was subjected to a lot of English speaking movies and shows as I was growing up.
Batman
Batman
Yeah, I'm sure that'll help a lot. I was watching a lot of Norwegian stuff on Youtube just to tune my ear to how it sounded. I liked watching Magnus Carlsen interviews lol
Top Bottom