• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZD Forums - Zelda Dungeon Forums

misskitten
misskitten
"It/There exists" I meant to say
misskitten
misskitten
And "står" for the most part means "stand" so with some exceptions to use "står" it has to be to describe an item that's on top of something, be it the floor, or some other surface. Since you are talking about a bed, it's an item that's on top of the floor, so you use "står"
misskitten
misskitten
One exception, however, is when describing something that's written, then you also use "står", like "det står i boken" meaning "it's written in the book"
Batman
Batman
I'm aware of what står means, and I'm also aware you can use "ligger" for things like: Tallerkenen ligger på bordet. I was just also wondering if it's okay to use "er" in place of these two sometimes, or if doing so would sound ungrammatical.
misskitten
misskitten
I'm afraid not, I'm trying to think of an example where it would be okay to switch from "står/ligger" to "er" and it just sounds completely wrong
Batman
Batman
And yeah, I found it really neat that to say "It is in the newspaper" you render it like "Det står i avisen".
Batman
Batman
Okay. Tusen takk.
misskitten
misskitten
No problem :)
Batman
Batman
The coolest thing about the language so far to me is how you do the definite articles. Taking the indefinite article and tacking it on as a suffix is something I never even conceived of.

I can image writing English this way lol. "The dog is eating the food" becoming "Doga is eating fooda" :P
misskitten
misskitten
Only for male and non-gendered nouns, though
Batman
Batman
I'm aware that the feminine gender is very often grouped in with masculine, but the program says a few words still show their femininity with definiteness. Like, "en jente" is more common than "ei jente", but to form the definite "jenta" is more common than "jenten". It also said though that this varies greatly depending on dialect.
Batman
Batman
But yeah, of course you don't say "jentei". That's probably what you meant.
misskitten
misskitten
Yeah, that's for sure. Learning the written is doable, mastering the dialects, however, takes a lot more work, because we sometimes get confused what people mean, lol
misskitten
misskitten
Yes, that's what I meant
misskitten
misskitten
Also, you will also come across words that double its consonants when moving into the definite article
Batman
Batman
I'll keep that in mind. So far I'm doing fine with my spelling. Norwegian spelling isn't hard at all. Although I get ski/skj/sky/etc mixed up sometimes as they represent pretty much the same main sound. En skje, en skilpadde, unnskyld, etc.

Oh, and another question. I realize there is overlap, but what are the main differences between: Unnskyld ///Unnskyld meg (vs.) Beklager ///Jeg beklager ?
misskitten
misskitten
I'd say "unnskyld" is like saying "sorry", while "beklager" is like saying "pardon".
misskitten
misskitten
But in terms of your example, "unnskyld meg" actually means "excuse me", while "unnskyld" would mean "I'm sorry"
Batman
Batman
Would "unnskyld" and "unnskyld meg" be more like "I'm sorry/excuse me" in the sense of apologizing for wronging or inconveniencing someone, while "Beklager/jeg beklager" is more "I'm sympathize with you?" Even though there is overlap?
misskitten
misskitten
No, "unnskyld" and "beklager" are primarily apologising words, expressing sympathy would more be "jeg er lei for det"
Top Bottom