• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.
Jimmy
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About Trophies

• lol I am not that into AC/DC but I do love Iron Maiden [as you have most likely seen] so what movies do you like?
    Dude, I am not trolling. Ask anyone I am a huge Maiden fan. The Beatles are all right but I am more of a metal guy. Sorry if I came off to you as trolling I just realized that we have never talked before so I wanted to start a friendly conversation.
    I heard you liked Iron Maiden, so I wanted to talk to you about it. Iron Maiden is my favorite band of all time and I love how they are constantly changing their sound with out destroying their true sound. My favorite albums are Brave New World, Womewhere in Time, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
    I fear I may be giving you the impression I am a typical American neoconservative. That is certainly not the case, though I admit I might come off as one sometimes. I am personally conservative but don't believe in using the arm of government to impose any set of values, conservative or liberal. It's just that liberal values have more dominance right now.

As far as I'm concerned, both George W. Bush and Barack Obama are terrible presidents.

Haha, just wanted to clarify.
    Reputation!? You get it for good posts and stuffs. If you roll your cursor over someone who has one heart, you might see, "[this person] is an unknown commodity at this point," or if you roll over mine or yours, "[This person] is a diamond in the rough."

People with rep like Kyby or Xinn, for example, are "Gorons." :P
    Hey you! You just got a third heart! :P

Are you starting a new adventure? (Three hearts..) >.>
    Yeah, just google either Ocarina of Time backgrounds or Majora's Mask background and you should be able to find it!
    I never replied to you. Sorry about that.

I actually agree with you, but I think I didn't express myself properly. Generally, I much prefer older music--Rush, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow, Savatage, Kansas, Fish-era Marillion, Gabriel-era Genesis, The Eagles, King Crimson, and The Moody Blues for example. That said, I'm inclined to disagree when people say there's no good music anymore. For example, I'm not as much of a fan of punk as I was in my teenage years, but the band that's stayed with me is Flogging Molly; their lyrics are meaningful and their music is well-composed. Power Metal came of age in the 90's, and while a lot of people don't like it, it's kind of hard to argue against the quality of Nightwish or Rhapsody of Fire's music, for example. Their grand orchestral compositions (backed by a real orchestra!) have left a mark on the musical landscape (if you have time, check out Ghost Love Score for an example, though a couple of my subsequent links are more vital to my point, so you can skip this one). In the prog world, The Flower Kings offer majestic, beautiful melodies that blend everything from jazz to classical eastern influences.

My two favorite bands are "new." Dream Theater got its start in the 80's, but it's really a 90's and 00's band, as that's when it came of age. They were influenced by the classic prog bands of the 70's (Genesis, Yes, etc.), hard rock (Rush), and metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica). Give Learning to Live a listen; yes, it's from the early 90's, but I think we both count that as "recent," and to be honest they're still writing masterpieces now even if they're not as poetic as they used to be. This song is filled with feeling, with real beauty, and the lyrics are well-composed. As I understand it, it's about AIDS, but it's ambiguous enough that it can be applied to life at large.

Exhibit B: Spock's Beard, my other favorite band. This is an interesting one--they're playful and don't take themselves as seriously as Dream Theater. Their lyrics are questionable sometimes. But their music speaks for itself, and sounds just as good as any of the 70's and 80's bands I named. Consider The Doorway; hell if I know what it's about, but it's one of the best songs I've ever heard. There's a warmth to this song that's also completely unique and hard to find in rock in general, but even harder to find in modern rock. Now, these bands aren't from the 70's or 80's, but IMO their output is better than a lot of classic bands. They showcase energy, innovation, and a real passion for the music itself. So while trends have gotten arguably worse, there are good bands if you dig enough, and sometimes, you don't have to dig much at all (Dream Theater is quite popular).

Sorry for the long post, but I'm enjoying this conversation and I like recommending bands to people/ getting recommendations. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the bands you brought up; they don't reach me emotionally, and that's my rubric, silly as it may sound. I do respect Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin quite a bit, and I definitely like The Beatles and The Who. Never heard of The Kinks, though. What are they? Also, what type of music do you play?
    Yeah, the server went back three days, so PMs and posts where wiped.
    I'll send you your role PM now.
    Not sure if you got my PM, but I need replacements for Mafia currently. I have 3 spots open, but will be modkilling them at the end of the day. So if you still want to play, reply ASAP.
    Haha, I love talking about music as well. My favorite genres right now are prog/power/heavy metal and prog/classic rock. I don't listen to much from the past 20 years outside of those genres, though I do enjoy classical and jazz when I find the time to listen to them. What do you listen to? I understand you are interested in writing music too, which is cool.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Top Bottom