• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild should Zelda U focus on story?

"Story is an appendix to gameplay" as far as Shigsy and Aonuma are concerned.

Zelda has had a turbulent time of things as far as story goes, in short, it doesn't make sense.

Games when taken on their own make sense, but don't fit well into the franchise as a whole.

With Zelda U sporting a vast open world there is both more and less opportunity for Nintendo to craft a story in Zelda U. They can opt for a sparse story like Skyrim or a deeper narrative like Witcher.

The question is, which route would you like them to take?

Would you prefer to discover story points on your own or spend most of you time just helping out people of the lands?

Or would you like a story to accompany your mission throughout?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd rather have a story to follow that is intriguing and makes sense.
I consider the gameplay to simply be a means to progress in the story. The more fun it is the better but the story is still the reason I play.
I would like it to accompany me throughout Zelda U and seeing as they have had so long to work on this title, a simple rescue the princess because she is in danger story, simply will not do.

Linkmaster30000

Aim for the knee
I'd rather the story make sense on its own than fit in with a grand scheme. It's fun to theorize how things fit together, certainly, especially when the main antagonist seems to be the same person/creature in most of the games, but honestly, as long as the story in a single game is intriguing, I can accept it. There are very few franchises that I would really like to see a timeline to piece everything together.

Salem

SICK
I prefer the self-discovery route. I don't like too many expository dialogue, I like to just gradually figure out what's going on. Maybe have some basics explained like "Ganon took over everything" or something.

I'm not sure how that's possible, but I'd like a big story that drives the game in the least intrusive way possible. Give me a reason to do stuff, but don't interupt me when I decide to **** around instead.

I think Zelda U should have a story, but it should, like Soul said, go with the open-world gameplay rather than interrupt the player.

For this game, I think it's best that the story has minimal cutscenes and most of the storytelling should be details you discover rather than contrived story bits.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'd like their to be some effort into story and lore, but with what we've seen the main effort should be on using the overworld. There's endless possibilities to use the diverse landscapes, variety of wildlife, and countless items in tandem with NES-esque exploration to build a game about a lone hero's action-packed battles and discoveries. If that works out, we'll survive a minimalist story.

D

Deleted member 81859

At first I wanted Zelda U to focus more on the gameplay and exploration features. But after TFH I want plot and lore shoved in every possible crevice. I feel like recent Zeldas have been lacking in the story department, and seeing as the story is what made me fall in love with this franchise it's a little disconcerting.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
This is a very good question. I think the Zelda franchise has evolved to the point where if there is a main console Zelda game like Zelda U will be, then it can't afford to overshadow one over the other. To live up to most peoples expectations, then it must have a good, deep story AND memorable gameplay. That's what I think, that Zelda U needs a deep narrative as opposed to plopping ya in the middle of the map in the beginning (ironic, huh?)

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I think it'd be best to have lots of individual stories like the side quests from MM which you go and discover as you explore. It's difficult to put a big epic story in an open world style game and keep it focused and well paced. The most successful open world games have their main quest as completely optional, so better to have lots of different little stories than try too hard with one big one in my opinion.

Skyward Sword was a story-driven game. Widely criticized as one of the worst Zelda games.
A Link Between Worlds was a free roaming game. Widely known as being even better than the originals.
What do you really want, people?
The thing was is the story wasn't the best in SS, there were plot holes concerning Hylia's plan, the game took forever to start, Fi interrupted way too much, and many couldn't get used to the motion controls.

I do agree though, there should be a lot of freedom, and a good story, IMO I think a more focused story in this game won't be bad, seeing how this game will be big, just don't wast our time with tutorials and get to the characters and game.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I'd like to see less direct storytelling, and rather elements of the game world that tells the story. Like, you know all the connections between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time? Using things like connections and stuff to tell us a story, rather than being sat in a room and having the entire plot told to us. This would allow more room for theorizing, discussing, and discovering the story in a unique and interesting way, as opposed to having an npc tell us everything.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
The thing that I've always loved about Zelda games is the story line, so definitely. How else would it be? If a Zelda game doesn't focus on story, then in my eyes it's not a true Zelda game.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom