• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things You Are Tired of Seeing in Movies

Djinn

and Tonic
Either random cliches or events that just keep happening over and over again to the point where you just do not want to see it any longer.

Things like shaky cam, just stop it. It was an interesting thing that helped displayed the chaotic-ness of a heated situation or fight but so many years later and movies that just unnecessarily throw it in there as a gimmick...I just never want to see that again. Also Modern remakes of movies that came out in the 80's that were themselves remakes of movies that came out in the 60's. Quit rebranding the same thing every few decades.

I also really cannot stand modern music appearing in a historic type film, like Knights Tale etc. That just kills it for me.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Movies that feature women giving up their dreams for a man. Turn it around, and the guy always manage to both get his dream and the girl, while if the protagonist is a woman, she has to choose. I'm so sick and tired of it.

Agent of Majora

Herald of the Consumer
The fact that children are somehow able to come out of any possible situation completely unscathed.
Now, I'm not exactly advocating for child murder in films, but it really drags me out of the immersion when a child ends up surviving something most adults couldn't without some kind of massive injury.

Also, on a related note, the fact that apparently "children in danger=audience immediately more concerned".
Never had me any more invested, and never will.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Constantly using this sound effect all the time.
[video=youtube;xn6hhrX34Pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6hhrX34Pw[/video]
It got old and annoying a long time ago.

Djinn

and Tonic
Constantly using this sound effect all the time.
[video=youtube;xn6hhrX34Pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6hhrX34Pw[/video]
It got old and annoying a long time ago.

Oh god that......I hate that. Every single person falling off every single thing in every single movie has had that sound. Why can't the director just get another guy to yell when falling off something!!?!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Horror movie wise... a bunch.

The predictable jump scares for one. Camera focuses on a certain viewpoint, camera turns away, boom jumpscare aghhhh... The reflection shot, oooo scary evil reflection in the mirror. The bluff jump scare, when you're expecting the jump scare and they give you pointless even worse scare like someone suddenly coming into shot for dramatic effect.

There are tons more, non-related to jump scares. The ridiculously mind numbingly stupid characters is big one. They will always go towards the danger even when it's pretty apparent that it's clear to stay well away. When the character is hiding from creepy villain and cannot shut the hell up. How the characters lose all sense of foot coordination when running. Seriously 90% of horrors include the cliché "trying to run but fall over" scene. Oh and not to mention the cast that play the characters are usually stereotypical "hot" teens who have no sense of relatable personality, which means you don't give an eff if they live or die thus rendering most of the movie pointless.

I understand that the above point is needed to make up the plot. Like I get that if these charterers weren't incredibly naive, they'd actually have a chance of surviving, but if you have to make your characters ridiculously stupid to begin with then your movie concept is pretty bad.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I am tired of seeing annoying female characters in movies that are just there to get in trouble, cause drama, or deny the lead character's love or whatever. An example of this is the girlfriend of Thor in the Thor movies and Gwen Stacey in the Amazing Spider-man movies.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Horror movie wise... a bunch.

The predictable jump scares for one. Camera focuses on a certain viewpoint, camera turns away, boom jumpscare aghhhh... The reflection shot, oooo scary evil reflection in the mirror. The bluff jump scare, when you're expecting the jump scare and they give you pointless even worse scare like someone suddenly coming into shot for dramatic effect.

There are tons more, non-related to jump scares. The ridiculously mind numbingly stupid characters is big one. They will always go towards the danger even when it's pretty apparent that it's clear to stay well away. When the character is hiding from creepy villain and cannot shut the hell up. How the characters lose all sense of foot coordination when running. Seriously 90% of horrors include the cliché "trying to run but fall over" scene. Oh and not to mention the cast that play the characters are usually stereotypical "hot" teens who have no sense of relatable personality, which means you don't give an eff if they live or die thus rendering most of the movie pointless.

I understand that the above point is needed to make up the plot. Like I get that if these charterers weren't incredibly naive, they'd actually have a chance of surviving, but if you have to make your characters ridiculously stupid to begin with then your movie concept is pretty bad.

Oh, oh, a nice example is in the Prometheus movie. I really want my money back from that terrible film. The characters were all.... idiots in that. In the previous Alien films... you could excuse it because they're supposed to all be dumb solider grunts. But in this one they are SCIENTISTS, and they are all... morons. Even the android is brainless. And... topping it off is the scene that was in the trailer, running from an object that is going to crush you... in a straight line... in the same direction it is travelling... instead of simply running off to one side and easily avoiding it. I am so tired of seeing that. An idiot plot only works when its played for laughs. Like in Dumb And Dumber, or Mars Attacks! If it tries to be serious about an idiot plot, it loses all credibility for me.

I don't like the film
I don't like the film
Play it all back
Play it all back

And I don't like the scenery
And I don't like the set so
Pull it all down
Pull it all down

But I like the actors
And I like the show

We're so exposed
We're so exposed
Anything can happen
Anything can happen

Don't let them see
Don't let them know
And you wonder why
And you wonder why

Turn off the lights
And turn off the sound

Mostly I am tired of movies constantly being overproduced experiments in how much can be done without actually having a good plot or story, and being weird pretentious film experiments. Either that or the constant rehash of the same thing that was not entertaining the first 3000 times.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I also really cannot stand modern music appearing in a historic type film, like Knights Tale etc. That just kills it for me.

It's not a movie, but... I've been watching the show Reign, it takes place in the 1500s, and of course involves political intrigue of the royals of the time. And... of course, modern music shows up. And... in I think episode 18, they actually play Lorde's song "Royals" with instruments of the time. Just the instrumentals, no singing. I suppose it is better than just playing the song straight up like they also do a lot. But it still feels very out of place and despite using older instruments still sounds like a pop song, in a medieval show.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Child protagonists (mostly for animated movies).

That's why Big Hero 6 made me happy. I honestly think teenagers are funnier. Hence the amount of anime I watch.

I dunno, it's not like it's a completely foreign concept to have a teenaged protagonist but I see it so rarely that it's just... ugh.

Djinn

and Tonic
The child protagonist thing, that is largely so the movie can be targeted towards kids. I get why it's done, even though I do think it is done a bit too often. What bugs me about those types of movies is how incredibly dismissive every last adult is in the whole community. There will be a monster, alien, robot, whatever and every time the kid points to it, shows off evidence of it, or even has a picture of it every last adult in the city will go out of their way to totally ignore that it was ever there and it was all their overactive imagination. Even when buildings are being knocked down elsewhere across town...it's all the kids overactive imagination..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom