• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Motion Controls

youpster900

Pottery=Mortal Enemy!
Do you think that zelda U will have motion controls like SS or will it just use the gamepad?

I think that the gamepad would be more interesting for puzzles and the wii remote for combat.

What do you think?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think they'll just go for the gamepad, if they have motion controls it will be something they have as an option rather than the way you have to play. That would please people who enjoy traditional style and those who enjoyed motion.

youpster900

Pottery=Mortal Enemy!
I think they'll just go for the gamepad, if they have motion controls it will be something they have as an option rather than the way you have to play. That would please people who enjoy traditional style and those who enjoyed motion.

The only problem is that the puzzles with the wii remote won't be the same.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Depends on the puzzle. With the gamepad they might have drawing type puzzles, in SS you can draw on walls with the wiimote it would work if you could have two control styles.
Then there is the traditional puzzling which worked in SS and in the more classic games without motion.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
This topic again? ...Eh, I guess it's fine. I'll give a brief synopsis of what I've said in the past.

I think it's likely that Nintendo will go for multiple control options. Reason being, Aonuma said a while back that he didn't think they could "go back" after having the Wii MotionPlus controls in Skyward Sword, but he's also confirmed that the GamePad will be used, which leads me to believe that he intends for both to be usable. The Big N has already done this with numerous other Wii U titles, the best example being Pikmin 3, so it's not like it's a stretch, and, let's face it, more options means more potential consumers, which the Wii U really needs.

How could this be done, though? Easy: the GamePad's right analog stick could be used to control the sword (directional inputs for swinging, and pressing down on it to stab), any aiming controls could be done with the gyroscope, and special moves like the Spin Attack could be done with the accelerometer. It's not a complicated transition at all, so it should be no problem for them.

youpster900

Pottery=Mortal Enemy!
This topic again? ...Eh, I guess it's fine. I'll give a brief synopsis of what I've said in the past.

I think it's likely that Nintendo will go for multiple control options. Reason being, Aonuma said a while back that he didn't think they could "go back" after having the Wii MotionPlus controls in Skyward Sword, but he's also confirmed that the GamePad will be used, which leads me to believe that he intends for both to be usable. The Big N has already done this with numerous other Wii U titles, the best example being Pikmin 3, so it's not like it's a stretch, and, let's face it, more options means more potential consumers, which the Wii U really needs.

How could this be done, though? Easy: the GamePad's right analog stick could be used to control the sword (directional inputs for swinging, and pressing down on it to stab), any aiming controls could be done with the gyroscope, and special moves like the Spin Attack could be done with the accelerometer. It's not a complicated transition at all, so it should be no problem for them.

Wait , there was the same topic before? I feel kinda bad . BTW Good point with the controls.

Salem

SICK
I hope not, I said this before I think, but with motion controls, it's unlikely that we'll get a proper camera controls, if they decide to use both the Wii-mote and gamepad and allow the second control stick control the sword like the wii-mote, then we again will lose proper camera control.

I argue that the lack of camera controls is actually a problem with the series, mostly for enemy placement and stuff.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I argue that the lack of camera controls is actually a problem with the series, mostly for enemy placement and stuff.

I just want to be able to look up without entering 1st person view <sobs uncontrollably>

I don't have many complaints about the motion controls from Skyward Sword like some people do, I thought they worked pretty well and allowed for a really cool and fresh take on enemy design. That said, for me personally, having full camera control is absolutely vital for an optimal experience and in no way worth sacrificing.

In a series like Zelda, where you're constantly required to survey your surroundings (even more so in an open-world Zelda, I'd imagine), being restricted to one field of view at any given time (as you are in most 3D Zeldas) can be a pretty big handicap. Sure, you can change that field of view, but to do so you have to deliberately reposition yourself and abruptly shift focus. This disrupts the pacing of the game, and it's very possible for information to be passed over during the transition. Moreover, you're now stuck with that field of view until you reposition yourself again and shift focus again. Going into a first-person view does offer more freedom with the camera and allows you to get a more complete understanding of your environment, but it forces you to literally stop in your tracks to look around and shifts your attention away from whatever you were doing before or could be doing simultaneously. Skyward Sword did let you move around in first-person view, but your abilities are still limited to just looking around, therefore there's still a shift in focus. You have to go from traversing a dungeon/overworld to 'Looking Around'. Being able to move while 'Looking Around' doesn't really do much besides give the illusion of better pacing.

Full camera control enables you to always have complete understanding of your environment (which, again, is super important in Zelda) while simultaneously being able to actually traverse the world and do stuff. I have no problems with motion controls in general, but because I can't see both motion controls and full camera control being possible at the same time, I do not want motion controls to return.

That was my opinion on the matter, though. What I think they'll actually do, I'm not sure of. The character in the teaser trailer, whom Aonuma confirmed to be Link, pulled his bow with his right hand. I checked footage of every single 3D Zelda, and he only does that in the games where he is right-handed, which are the games that use motion controls. This seems to imply motion controls will return. However, that one detail isn't really enough to base a prediction on, so all I can say is I don't know if the game will utilize motion controls or not.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I hope not, I said this before I think, but with motion controls, it's unlikely that we'll get a proper camera controls, if they decide to use both the Wii-mote and gamepad and allow the second control stick control the sword like the wii-mote, then we again will lose proper camera control.

Camera control is a neat little luxury, not something that's mandatory. Besides, Skyward Sword did a great job with its camera placement & Z-targeting, making the lack of camera control irrelevant.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

I think the directional swinging should be more like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, a mode that you enter and you just have regular sword swinging for normal combat like in WW, TP etc, using the directional mode only when precise striking is required.

Salem

SICK
Camera control is a neat little luxury, not something that's mandatory. Besides, Skyward Sword did a great job with its camera placement & Z-targeting, making the lack of camera control irrelevant.
It still think the series would benefit from freedom to control the camera.

This is not just for the surrounding and stuff but mostly for enemy placement, I mean if the view is always gonna be the same narrow field of vision for most of the game(except when targeting), well the designers are only gonna place enemies they're sure that the players are gonna see, so my idea is if the player can make the camera be really zoomed out like in WW, that means they can go all out with enemy designs and placement.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think the directional swinging should be more like Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, a mode that you enter and you just have regular sword swinging for normal combat like in WW, TP etc, using the directional mode only when precise striking is required.

It'd be a bit odd, but I suppose Nintendo could make it work.

It still think the series would benefit from freedom to control the camera.

This is not just for the surrounding and stuff but mostly for enemy placement, I mean if the view is always gonna be the same narrow field of vision for most of the game(except when targeting), well the designers are only gonna place enemies they're sure that the players are gonna see, so my idea is if the player can make the camera be really zoomed out like in WW, that means they can go all out with enemy designs and placement.

What you're overlooking is that combat in 3D Zelda games hinges around the targeting mechanic, which negates any custom camera work due to its specific angle, so it wouldn't matter either way when it comes to enemy placement. Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword also had numerous moments where enemies were all around you, so... (TP had no free camera control on the Wii.)

Salem

SICK
What you're overlooking is that combat in 3D Zelda games hinges around the targeting mechanic, which negates any custom camera work due to its specific angle, so it wouldn't matter either way when it comes to enemy placement. Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword also had numerous moments where enemies were all around you, so... (TP had no free camera control on the Wii.)
What do all these enemies do when I target one enemy? Wait politely? I honestly don't remember, I haven't played these two in ages.

Maybe it's the whole Z-targeting system that needs to go, and they should focus their efforts on combat with multiple enemies at one, I know this happens sometimes in the sometimes, I mean they need to focus on multi enemy combat rather than single target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom