• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

EV Training Guide (X/Y)

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Please note this is a guide for generation VI

First off, what are EVs?

EVs, or Effort Values, are earned points that boost a Pokemon's stats. Each Pokemon has a specific set of EVs awarded upon defeat, which can be found here. Up to 252 EVs can be earned for a specific stat (255 in Generations III - V), and up to 510 total EVs can be earned by one Pokemon.

For every 4 EVs a Pokemon earns, they gain one point in the corresponding stat. Most trainers who EV train will typically train a Pokemon to 252 in two stats (i.e. a Physical Sweeper will use Maximum Speed and Attack) and throw the remaining 4 usable EVs on another stat (such as HP or Defense). Note that because there are 510 total EVs to earn, there will always be 2 wasted EVs.

Note: Any time a Pokemon gains experience, it gains Effort values, so it will gain EVs from the EXP share.

Methods (X/Y)

There are two main ways to EV train in X and Y.

Super Training:

The sixth Generation added in a new functionality called Super Training. It uses a variety of minigames to EV train Pokemon in increments of gour, eight, and twelve Effort Values (or 1,2 or 3 stat points).

XY_Prerelease_Super_Training.png

Screenshot of the Super Training minigame

Included in Super training is the Effort Meter, which allows the viewing of a Pokemon's total amount of Effort Values, which can be used independently of the minigames.

ct3.jpg

Screenshot of the Effort Meter

Horde Battles:

Horde battles, recently introduced in X and Y, pit you against 5 lower-leveled Pokemon, usually of the same species. While this may seem like nothing but an irritant, it is massively useful in EV training.

horde_battle_axew_1.jpg

A horde battle

Assume you encounter a horde of Tailow. Each Tailow, on defeat, will give you one EV in Speed. Now, if you have the corresponding Power Item (16 BP at the Battle Maison), in this case the Power anklet, attached to your Pokemon you want to train, they get 4 extra EVs in speed per KO'd Pokemon. If you are able to get Pokerus, this EV yield is then doubled from 25 EVs per battle to 50!

After just 5 battles, your Pokemon will have 250 EVs in the relevant stat. The final 2 EVs can be taken care of in Super Training (since EVs only go up to 252 there is no worry about accidentally exceeding the 510 cap).

Things needed for Horde Training:
  • Pokemon with Sweet Scent
  • Pokemon with a move like Rock Slide or Surf
  • Experience share
  • Pokerus
  • Power items

Make sure your Pokemon you want to train has the relevant Power item and Pokerus.

Power items:
Power Weight = HP
Power Bracer = Attack
Power Belt = Defense
Power Lens = Special Attack
Power Band = Special Defense
Power Anklet = Speed

Hordes to use in X/Y:
HP = Gulpin (Route 5)
Attack = Ekans/Bellsprout (Route 14)
Defense = Geodude (Terminus Cave)
Sp. Attack = Smoochum/Vanillite (Frost Cavern)
Sp. Defense = Hoppip (Route 7)
Speed = Tailow/Wingull (Route 8) Zubat (Connecting Cave)

Note that with the Pokerus/Power Item, you can get 50 EVs from each horde battle with the listed Pokemon

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Another good helpful thread.

Ok, in the past this was what frustrated me, as I tended to get the whole Iv and EV thing mixed up, that is why I never really gave a damn about them. lol

But now I know the difference. I have a few questions that perhaps you all can answer if you know the answers.

First off, let us say I have a level 1 Pokémon ready to be ev trained. I want to do it by battling hordes. So, even if your level 1 Pokémon does not battle, does he still get the EVs when another Pokémon defeats the hordes? Of course, the level 1 Pokémon will have the necessary item, but does having experience share do the trick?

Terminus

Another good helpful thread.

Ok, in the past this was what frustrated me, as I tended to get the whole Iv and EV thing mixed up, that is why I never really gave a damn about them. lol

But now I know the difference. I have a few questions that perhaps you all can answer if you know the answers.

First off, let us say I have a level 1 Pokémon ready to be ev trained. I want to do it by battling hordes. So, even if your level 1 Pokémon does not battle, does he still get the EVs when another Pokémon defeats the hordes? Of course, the level 1 Pokémon will have the necessary item, but does having experience share do the trick?

Yes.

To clarify: If a Level 1 Abra is holding the power lens and has Pokerus, it will still gain the 50 IVs from battling a horde of Smoochum even if it doesn't actively participate. Also, EVs are not spread out or reduced like with Experience Points.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Yes.

To clarify: If a Level 1 Abra is holding the power lens and has Pokerus, it will still gain the 50 IVs from battling a horde of Smoochum even if it doesn't actively participate. Also, EVs are not spread out or reduced like with Experience Points.

Nice. So then it's just five horde battles for a certain stat, eh? That's simple, then. I think I have learned how to IV breed and how to train those great Pokémon. Thanks for your help, Terminus. :yes:

Terminus

Clarification: the move Sweet Scent will work in Tall Grass as well as caves. It is ineffective only if it is raining (i.e. the occasional Rain on Route 19 will make SS useless).

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Ok, so I need a few questions answered, or doubts cleared.

Anyway, let us say I want to EV train a Mawile in Hp and Attack, so all I have to do is equip the Mawile with the specific item for said stat and have five horde battles with Gulpin. Then I do this again for the Attack stat against five hordes of Ekans. Then what? Is that it? I don't have to do any more training? Or can the Mawile still level up to level 50 even if I have done what I mentioned?

Terminus

Ok, so I need a few questions answered, or doubts cleared.

Anyway, let us say I want to EV train a Mawile in Hp and Attack, so all I have to do is equip the Mawile with the specific item for said stat and have five horde battles with Gulpin. Then I do this again for the Attack stat against five hordes of Ekans. Then what? Is that it? I don't have to do any more training? Or can the Mawile still level up to level 50 even if I have done what I mentioned?

So, clarification of the process:

1. Get Pokerus
  2. Equip Item
  3. Horde Battles (x5) per stat
  4. Super Training Lv. 1 for each stat
  5. Super Training Lv 2. for 1 other stat to get the last stat point

Also, since the default battle style will NOT level up your Pokemon, it is almost always recommended you level them up to 50 (some instances may use Lv. 49 Pokemon though).

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
So, clarification of the process:

1. Get Pokerus
  2. Equip Item
  3. Horde Balles (x5) per stat
  4. Super Training Lv. 1 for each stat
  5. Super Training Lv 2. for 1 other stat to get the last stat point

Right, I get all that, but will the Mawile grow up to level 50 when all that is said and done? I know it probably won't, just that it will get all the EVs for said stats, but even if I do all that, can I still keep training her to level 100 and the Mawile will be alright? I just don't wanna screw up. Never tried this before, so I wanna do it right.

Terminus

Right, I get all that, but will the Mawile grow up to level 50 when all that is said and done? I know it probably won't, just that it will get all the EVs for said stats, but even if I do all that, can I still keep training her to level 100 and the Mawile will be alright? I just don't wanna screw up. Never tried this before, so I wanna do it right.

I edited my post, but yes, to have a chance at actually winning you will NEED to have your Pokemon at either Lv 50 or 100.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I edited my post, but yes, to have a chance at actually winning you will NEED to have your Pokemon at either Lv 50 or 100.

Okay, I probably will do that then. I actually just tend to level my battle pokemon to level 50. But I will probably go 100 from now on, guess all the stats are halfed. But anyway, I understand now. I will give this a shot in an hour or so. Thanks for the Help, Termy, lol. You must be getting tired of me by now...so many questions. :P

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Ok, so I trained my Mawile in the three IV stats that she had. I went to the Super training area and was told something like this: Amazing..yadayadayada, your pokemon is a fully trained Pokémon. Am I done with the EV training then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom