• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Zelda is Darker? Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask?

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Majora's Mask is darker because even when you stop the moon by playing Oath to Order, when you play the song of time you stop the moon yet again. Also, when you reverse time, people in the game keep reliving the last three days of their lives.

Zarom

The King
Majora's Mask is the darkest Zelda. Why? Because the main reason is because almost all people are sad and they're just waiting to die. This is awful, don't you agree?

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
MM was a completely dark game. So sad and depressing... but then you appear and help the others.

You make a complete twist in their lifes.

Like I said before somewhere, the persons you must help are just plain miserable.
Anju & Kafei, Pamela's father, Darmani, Mikau, The Postman, Romani, all of them are looking for your help.

x-Link-x

c o u r a g e ;
I would say Majora's Mask would be the darkest of the two.

Just a few weeks ago, I was playing the game and for the moment all I could do was wait for certain event (why didnt I skip time is beyond me) and I just sat there taring at Link and then I started to think about all the events of the game. When one stops to think about them....a lot of them are sick and twisted! I mean, it doesn't seem much because its a game, a game for kids in any case but when one really stops to think about it, it can easily enough leave you eye-wide.

Take Kafei for example, he was turned into a child. Maybe that doesn't seem like that much but perhaps you should stop for a bit and think: its three days to your wedding and you've been turned into a chil, what the hell are you going to say to your fiance? Will she even believe its you!?

The moon came down and its hovering above your town staring down towards you with giant red eyes and a huge grin (it appears as a grin to me anyways). At Ikana there is a child taking care of her almost mummified Father, at any moment he can come out of that closet and turn her too! Your physical appearance is forcefully changed, your horse is stolen, you're forced to pass through the same three days over and over and over again.

You're to carry out the wishes of the dead, go down to a well and trade items with mummies (Gibdo) and this is only if you're Link. If you're anyone else then you're forced to live out the same three days over and over again without any type of clue of what is going to happen to the giant moon that floating above you, if there's even going to be a tomorrow and if there is even someone out there doing something to help you.

Then one of the other things that did kinda disturb me was at the end of the game, when the Butler is looking at the gloomy tree, it makes you think 'is that really his son?!', just think about it, your son being turned into a tree, you have no idea who did it, how did it happen and you didn't even get to say good bye to him and now there is probably nothing you can do to help him. Who knows maybe he's still consious and is crying out for you while you're staring but the fact that he doesn't have vocal cords doesn't allow you to hear him. I'd say that's horrible.

Perhaps I'm getting too carried away but those are just a few of my simple thoughts. <3

At Ikana there is a child taking care of her almost mummified Father, at any moment he can come out of that closet and turn her too!

If I remember correctly she didn't know where her father was, I don't think she was looking after him. I think he was experimenting on something and got stuck in some sort of closet, I can't remember what it was he got stuck in though.

I don't know really...come to think of it I think that both are as dark as each other, Each have there own forms of darkness, Majora's Mask has darkness based on destruction, I really don't know what the right words are though for TP's form of darkness, Maybe darkness based on fear.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
Majora's Mask, it's the only really Dark Zelda, some may argue that Twilight Princess is dark too, but this is completely false, in terms of story TP has a light story with minor things to make it seem dark (example the triforce scene and Ganondorfs death), but unlike Majora's Mask the overall game is not dark, Majora's Mask is a very depressing game with a dark story, most sidequests in this game are depressing on their own, there is also the giant moon that could kill them all.

And At DarkLink about the Mummy Father, she DOES know, she WAS caring for him, if he comes out of the closet and you wait too long she runs in the room and tells you to leave him alone and to forget what you saw, it's also the reason before she wouldn't let you in the house and you had to sneak in.

lets put it this way,
MM, the world dies if you fail to complete the game

TP, the world gets taking over if you fail to complete the game,

hmmm, which ones darker... i wonder

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
I don't really know about Pamela and her father but my thoughts were Pamela is hiding her mummified father because of his look. Yeah, he was studying Gibdo's. There is also a poster something hanging in his room about the spies The Garo. Ikana was a real dark place for sure.

Majora's Mask was more darker than Twilight Princess. It was just sad to speak to all the people in the last day. I heard something about Majora's Mask gives Nightmares too people, don't know if it's true, but the last day track (Final 6 minutes) sounds sad and creepy the same. It really was a track for almost the end of the world.

Well, Twilight Princess was really dark too, but it doesn't match the destructive darkness from Majora's Mask. I enjoyed the way how everybody gets mad at Skull Kid, it was not Skull Kid, it was the dark Power of the Majora's Mask. Majora turned out as a creepy final boss.
Anyway, the darkest part was Ikana for sure specially the well. Trading items with Gibdo's, hmm, why does a Gibdo needs milk or a fairy anyway? o_O

... twilight princess has a darker look than normal in a zelda game, but it has a sense of that if you dont do something, the whole world will die, but then again, as I said, you have no choice in majoras mask,... WHICH CLEARLY MAKES MY OPINION MAJoRAS MASK!!!!

Megamannt125

Blue Link
... twilight princess has a darker look than normal in a zelda game, but it has a sense of that if you dont do something, the whole world will die, but then again, as I said, you have no choice in majoras mask,... WHICH CLEARLY MAKES MY OPINION MAJoRAS MASK!!!!
No, Twilight Princess looks realistic, not dark at all, except maybe the twilight realm.

Twilight Princess is darker for me.

A lot of people say Majora's Mask is really dark, but I never really saw it that way. The events are strange and sad, yeah, but Link helps the people in every case. He soothes the souls of the dead and helps the living, lifting craploads of curses and solving problems.

As for Twilight Princess... the plot is quite dark. A peaceful village it raided by marauding monsters, the children are kidnapped, etc. It's far more violent than any other game in the series, and the character and creature designs are far more realistic, darker, and more disturbing.

Additionally, there's another key aspect to this. Atmosphere and presentation. Majora's Mask may have had dark aspects, but they were portrayed in a far lighter tone. Twilight Princess makes no such effort. Everything dark is presented darkly. Hell, to me, the whole game (even the happier moments) had a darker, sadder undertone to them.

I think the biggest factors are the disturbing designs and presentation. The undertones help too, though.

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
This is actually hard cause both are dark but... I can't choose so I will Say Twilight Princess Because of the whole thing with Illia Losing her memory. My Friend started to cry during that whole part. Me I thought it was sad. And the whole twilight realm made it dark but then again I am still playing MM. But that is my opinion for right now.

octorok74

TETTAC
Majora's Mask by a landslide. What's can be worse then an alternate dimension to be destroyed be a moon in three days. Personally, I know Zelda could have taken down Zant in TP, but why she surrendered was up to her.

lets put it this way,
MM, the world dies if you fail to complete the game

TP, the world gets taking over if you fail to complete the game,

hmmm, which ones darker... i wonder

Your not thinking deep enough into it....the people that lived in the Twilight while surrounded by the Shadow Beasts thought they were in a living hell pretty much, An example being the citizens of Kakariko when they are hiding out in the Shaman's house, Another being the guy that gives you the latern....he was a scared by those little bugs, they're nothing compared to the Shadow Beasts.

MM gave you a quick painless death unless you knew the Moon was falling, TP gave you a chance to die in a large amount of ways but I won't go into this, The only one I can state is death by the Shadow Creatures or any other beings in the area...If I go any deeper I am entering the realm of Fan Fiction.

I personally would prefer to die a quick and painless death...not living in fear in an eternal Twilight. Once Link had failed there was no hope of this leaving. Really they are as both Dark as each other but which ever way you wuld want to live if your choice.

I don't really know about Pamela and her father but my thoughts were Pamela is hiding her mummified father because of his look. Yeah, he was studying Gibdo's. There is also a poster something hanging in his room about the spies The Garo. Ikana was a real dark place for sure.

Yeah, I think he just got trapped in that wardrobe. If memory serves she doesn't know where she is until she hears a his voice down stairs after you have played the Song of Healing.

Well, Twilight Princess was really dark too, but it doesn't match the destructive darkness from Majora's Mask.

Yeah, TP and MM are both based of very different forms of Darkness, Majora's Mask gave a sense of destruction throughout the game once you found out about the Moon falling into Termina. Twilight Princess gave off a sense of fear from when you first entered Hyrule Castle as Wolf Link, All the guards and as I've said before the people living in constant fear...etc.

Majora's Mask by a landslide. What's can be worse then an alternate dimension to be destroyed be a moon in three days. Personally, I know Zelda could have taken down Zant in TP, but why she surrendered was up to her.

In my opinion living in eternal Twilight surrounded by large Shadow creatures is worse...at least if you were killed by the Moon you didn't have to live the rest of your life in fear. I would hate living in fear all my life, It would make life too stressful and most would probably die of exhaustion if they got stressed (that last bit would be considered fan fiction though)

Its because she can't....Zant is kept alive by Ganondorf so her attempts would have failed. She was greatly outnumbered so she would most likely have fell to one of them, Even if she did kill them she would never have known that to truly kill them you need to make sure the last two die at the same time or within about half a second of each other. It was a good idea to surrender.

I doubt she would have been able to get the Master Sword either and since there are no other weapons in this game that can actually KILL Ganondorf she would have failed without it. The best she could do was hope for a Hero to come along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom