• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Link, a Lone Wolf?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Throughout the series Link has either been completely alone in his adventures or always had some sort of companion that provides hints for us players, the latter for the latest games, he has always been the one to save Hyrule.

Should Nintendo maybe instead give Link a more useful companion from a gameplay perspective, one that can fight with him and add a whole new layer of depth to how we play the game seeing as we have another hero fightning beside us, or, should Nintendo add a rival hero, one that has the same goals but for different reasons? Maybe neither and strip Link of all his companions and make him truly a lone wolf, saving the world all by himself? Or maybe just stay in the current setting where Link isn't entirely alone but at the same time is, considering the companion is useless in combat?

So what's your opinion, would a rival or useful companion be a little too much RPG and less Zelda? Should it stay the way it is? Or maybe something else?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
hue

lone wolf

twilight princess

ahhh, VG humor

I'm currently satisfied with the current Zelda formula, but I most certainly wouldn't mind seeing a game where Link travels solo.

Scoby

France
I really hated Midna so i want link to stay solo, besides i dont want any companion stealing my man! ;)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
All I know is that this whole OMA thing is getting ridiculous; there's no reason why Link should be able to defeat the hordes of foes that he does with little more than a magical blade. He should be vulnerable. He should REQUIRE aid - not just at pivotal points in the story but also in menial gameplay areas like dungeons. His aid should not be one static character, but a multitude of people (think the Resistance force or whatever it was in Twilight Princess, only combat relevant). :/

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Should Nintendo maybe instead give Link a more useful companion from a gameplay perspective, one that can fight with him and add a whole new layer of depth to how we play the game seeing as we have another hero fightning beside us,

That happened in Spirit Tracks with Link's partner, Zelda. I would definitely love to see that implemented more, because it turned out really great in Spirit Tracks. The teamwork puzzles were really creative and made the Tower of Spirits much more interesting.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the whole "lone wolf" thing. I think having partners/comrades along for the ride really adds something great to the game. It's just more fun, in my opinion. You're introduced to a lot more ways to deal with things like enemies. It adds variety and enhances the gaming experience. That's how I feel about it.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
All I know is that this whole OMA thing is getting ridiculous; there's no reason why Link should be able to defeat the hordes of foes that he does with little more than a magical blade. He should be vulnerable. He should REQUIRE aid - not just at pivotal points in the story but also in menial gameplay areas like dungeons. His aid should not be one static character, but a multitude of people (think the Resistance force or whatever it was in Twilight Princess, only combat relevant). :/

Yeh, kind of makes the enemies look like baby cats.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I like partners. I love partners. In fact, partners have the best potential for character. But I DON'T like babysitting some NPC...

I always thought optional companions would be nice, maybe have side quests to unlock them. Each companion would have a unique skill set to help, or Link can just chose to go it alone. Like Elder Scrolls, but fewer, more unique and having each add very different gameplay and dialogue differences. It would add greatly to replay ability.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I think it would be great if companions were more involved. All of the companions (maybe with the exception of Navi) are really important to the storyline, but not the gameplay. Aside from Ezlo, Midna, Zelda, and Fi, the companions are pretty much useless. I would really like it if companions were actually needed to solve puzzles, like Zelda from Spirit Tracks, just, well, more.

That being said, I wouldn't actually mind it if Link rode solo. We've had companions since, arguably, the Wind Waker, plus MM and OOT before that, and it's been great. However, the formula of the first few games was actually kind of ideal, and I would love to see it again. ALttP didn't really have a companion, so I am a little bit hopeful that ALttP2 will not either.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
DarkestLink said:
I like partners. I love partners. In fact, partners have the best potential for character. But I DON'T like babysitting some NPC...
DarkestLink said:
I guess controlling a companion is fine, but I don't want to babysit them.

May I ask why you posted the same thing twice?

All I know is that this whole OMA thing is getting ridiculous; there's no reason why Link should be able to defeat the hordes of foes that he does with little more than a magical blade.

How come the OMA idea works with Mario?

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I would like a companion that functions sort of like Midna did. She worked as a companion, giving you hints and such, but also gave you access to new abilities, mainly in Wolf form such as the Midna-jumps and the Charge-attack. So I think it would be great if you had a companion who had extra abilities that you could use, attacks that you could perform though them. So not a full-on battle companion, who battles alongside you, and not a battle-useless hint companion, but a hint companion who offers you a new range of attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom