• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic If You Had to Pick a Mario Game Over a Zelda Game Each Generation

Mario vs. Zelda

• Super Mario 64 over Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Mario Sunshine over The Wind Waker

• Super Mario Galaxy over Twilight Princess

• Super Mario Galaxy 2 over Skyward Sword

• Total voters
Obviously this being a Zelda site, I have no doubt the majority would favor an LoZ game over a Mario game. However, if you did have to pick one comparison where you felt the Mario game triumphed over the Zelda one, which would you pick?

Super Mario 64 vs Ocarina of Time and/or Majora's Mask

Super Mario Sunshine vs The Wind Waker

Super Mario Galaxy vs Twilight Princess

Super Mario Galaxy 2 vs Skyward Sword

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Mmmmm...almost picked the first. SM64 is the best Mario title out there IMO...but that's over TWO Zelda titles, so nah. I'll say SMS>tWW

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Super Mario Galaxy 2 easily trumps Skyward Sword in my opinion. While SMG2 is linear just like SS is, I find SMG2 to be a hella lot more fun.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I'd chose Sunshine over Windwaker because I just liked Sunshine more. I found it to be more fun, it was different which in a good way and I just like Sunshine.

I also chose Sunshine over Windwaker because I will never chose any game over Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask and I've never played the Galaxy games.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are two of the most refined gaming experiences ever created. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are great but don't compare.

I could never get into Super Mario Sunshine and therefore prefer The Wind Waker and although both Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time shaped my childhood, I give the slight edge to OoT. Mario 64 was more revolutionary but Ocarina of Time offered the biggest, boldest world of its generation creating a template for all action-adventure games. Ironically, its other major contribution-Z-targeting-has been mass adopted by the FPS genre.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are two of the most refined gaming experiences ever created. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are great but don't compare.

I could never get into Super Mario Sunshine and therefore prefer The Wind Waker and although both Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time shaped my childhood, I give the slight edge to OoT. Mario 64 was more revolutionary but Ocarina of Time offered the biggest, boldest world of its generation creating a template for all action-adventure games. Ironically, its other major contribution-Z-targeting-has been mass adopted by the FPS genre.

I do not believe you cast a vote my good man.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 easily trumps Skyward Sword in my opinion. While SMG2 is linear just like SS is, I find SMG2 to be a hella lot more fun.

There's nothing wrong with linear though, right?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Hmmm...to give more detail on it...I actually think all of the Zelda's are better. The only one I might give Mario is SM64 vs Majora's Mask...MAYBE. I think OoT is better. Water ruined both SMS and tWW, but SMS isn't the lowest 3D Mario on my list, whereas tWW is my lowest 3D Zelda, so that's why I voted for it. Voting for SMG over TP or SS is unthinkable to me, it's matching up the best Zelda titles against the worst Mario titles (IMO).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
There's nothing wrong with linear though, right?

Not inherently. Majora's Mask is a pretty linear title in itself, but there's simply a ton of things to do as well as a LOT of emotion being generated. Its pros make it an amazing game - probably better than OoT by most neo-fans' accounts. However, Skyward Sword's linearity only serves as a detriment as there is not much to do and a lot LESS emotion being generated, at least for me.

In regards to Mario, I have never found linearity a problem due to the nature of platformers, and it's ingenious level design that saves SMG2 from being closer to bottom rung, In My Opinion.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Hmmm... The only decisive answer I can give are Galaxy 1 and 2 over Twilight Princess. The NES & SNES games stand at a tie, the handheld titles have Zelda on top each time, the N64 & GCN games have Zelda as the overly dominant victor (OoT and MM are significantly better than SM64, and Sunshine just plain sucks), and Skyward Sword is marginally over Galaxy 2. Super Mario's cool, and all, but he just can't seem to beat out Zelda for me, even if he doesn't actually lose. Plainly put, Zelda's just the better franchise.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
@RedLink
Also, linearity whether I like it or not really does lend itself towards stories. A logical flow and chain of events will (usually) create a better story than separate links cast across space-time continuum. Of course, the story in question has to have strong base for anything to really aid it.

In that sense, I can't say SMG2 or SS beats either in the story department; neither really drew up any emotion in me as far story is concerned. Gameplay, though, I just found SMG2 to be a lot more enjoyable, although people may try to debunk my opinion on the basis that the games have fundamentally different—and thus incomparable—gameplay (which is true).

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
In that sense, I can't say SMG2 or SS beats either in the story department; neither really drew up any emotion in me as far story is concerned. Gameplay, though, I just found SMG2 to be a lot more enjoyable, although people may try to debunk my opinion on the basis that the games have fundamentally different—and thus incomparable—gameplay (which is true).

Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword on equal storytelling levels? Dude, even A Link to the Past has a stronger story than Galaxy 2. The story is practically non-existent in that game.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
As far as personal favorites go, I liked the Zelda games more than the Mario games. But I have to choose, and I suppose the closest margin was SS to SMG2, which was an amazing game and is probably a better game than SS. So, it pains me to say, SMG2 over SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom