• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphical Display - Anyone else Bothered?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
[video=youtube;IfclgYT7h-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfclgYT7h-A[/video]

So one of the first gripes I have with Pokemon X&Y is their very lackluster graphical display. As you can see in the video, the 3DS' lack of anti-aliasing makes all of those pixels and horribly defined lines show out, which is rather jarring coming from a PC gamer's perspective (and even a PS2 gamer). Now, the worst problem is that Nintendo hasn't (so far) even tried to blur the lines, which makes ugly images in my mind.

Really though, is anyone else bothered by the graphics? Or am I being critical (again)?

Austin

Austin
I think your problem stems from comparing a handheld game's graphics to the graphics a PC is capable of. It pretty easily outdoes the PS2 so I'm not even sure where that comes from. In addition to that, you've also got here, at best, twenty seconds of gameplay footage. Not really enough to make an informed judgment on.

I'm fond of the graphics but they could definitely use improvement. It appears as though Nintendo merely transitioned Black and White character and locations models into a 3D plane. I'd definitely prefer a style resembling the Gamecube games-Pokemon Colosseum and XD Gale of Darkness. The 3DS is on par with the GCN in terms of power (not sure if CPU, GPU, or both.)

Compare:

914154-14_super.jpg

to

1NtsS

Keeseman

Smash is Life
ALIT said:
The 3DS is on par with the GCN in terms of power (not sure if CPU, GPU, or both.)

Actually, the 3DS is supposed to "far exceed the Nintendo Wii" in processing power. That's what Nintendo said at E3, anyway.

Like others have said, I'm expecting them to patch up a lot of these graphical issues by the release date.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I'll be honest, I'm almost never bothered by the graphical display or pixelation or any of these other technical issues with games. Unless the picture is blown up to the point where I can hardly see what I'm looking at, it doesn't really matter to me. Hell, I still boot up my SNES on my dad's big-screen hi-def TV and I can still play Donkey Kong just fine.

What I take issue with instead are the aesthetics of a game instead, i.e. what the style of the game is. I like the aesthetics of the Pokemon games and so I will continue to buy them, whereas games that use other visual styles that I'm not interested in ("realism" being chief among them) have to have something big up their sleeve to draw me in.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I have yet to see a 3DS game look as good in screenshots as it does in action. I am almost 100% confident this game will look stunning once we actually have it in our hands. For some reason, screenshots simply do absolutely no justice to the 3DS. Even Kid Icarus, one of the best looking handheld games I've ever seen, looks awful in screenshots. It's a strange quirk of the system, but in action games look beautiful.

they really look as if they should be trying harder with X and Y. the 3DS can handle OoT muc better than the n64 ever could and the Nintendo direct announcement with its summary of the entire series before showing X and Y billed it as a grand evolution in the pokemon world but really it looks like pokemon Black and the battle's don't look that great either, they could definitely have done more with tha what they have. People i think are naive about thinking that the X and Y trailer is a 'starting point' when the game is coming out in october, they seem set to have it Castelia City-style and no more which is a shame.

Personally I don't care to a huge extent. As far as I'm concerned it's a Pokémon nothing more nothing less. Anyway, I don't think it matters at this stage as I think they were only showing off the gameplay more then the visuals. The graphics themselves aren't bad it's just the YouTube Video makes the footage feel poor. The true visual experience is on the 3DS and on top of that Pokémon X & Y is in it's early stages so there's always a opportunity of change. I think it's a little too soon to criticize about he graphics since it hasn't even been a week since it was announced. Give Pokémon X & Y some time and hopefully Game Freak will enhance the visuals by far.

Deeds

no text
There must already be a thread on this somewhere, because I remember saying that handheld game's always look awful on screenshots and videos, only because it's hard to capture a handheld device in good quality. I wouldn't worry.

"Let's make a topic questioning the graphics even though there is a disclaimer about the footage RIGHT IN THE DAMN CORNER."

I assume that's the thought process that went into making this topic.

Fig

The Altruist
I'm not worried about the graphics that X and Y originally showed because Nintendo always clean up the graphics as they want to focus on the new games first and then continue to develop on the game after the announcement! :3

Painmaster212

Spoony Bard
When i first saw the footage i thought of the Final Fantasy 3 remake on the DS (good game just have a love hate relationship with the style of the game) and i auto groaned because even though it does not look that bad but it should be alot better IMO i mean just look at Resident Evil on the 3ds or OoT, both games look wonderful but as someone stated Nintendo and Gamefreak should scale it up to par and overall make it look better in the final version.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Actually, guys, the 3DS performs worse than the PS2 thanks to its worse resolution. Also, I'm not comparing the 3DS--or Pokemon Gen 6--to PC graphics; it's very clear that PC gfx are out of any console's league, let alone the handheld counterparts.

But, that's a bit of a tangent. I'm comparing Pokemon XY to other 3DS games. I mean, even the likes of Kingdom Hearts 3D looks better than PKMNX&Y. :I

Kazumi

chagy
Actually, guys, the 3DS performs worse than the PS2 thanks to its worse resolution.

This really doesn't make any sense. The 3DS is indeed slightly worse than the PS2, but what makes it look decent is the small screen. The pixel density on the 3DS (even though the 3DS screen isn't that high resolution) is much higher. Firstly this will make things look much better even if they aren't actually that good looking due to the high density, and secondly this leads to much better performance (frame rate).

As for the actual games themselves, I don't really see too much of an issue. It looks a little bit rough around the edges as of now, but there is plenty of time for it to be improved upon. I would also like to add that YouTube footage of a 3DS game will always look much, much worse than the actual game will look when you're playing it. This is due to stretching the relatively small resolution of the 3DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom