• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Would You Label Difficulty Levels?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
By the title I mean what would you call the different difficulty levels (if they were to exist in the future) and what kind of difficulty frame of reference would they have? (I guess the amount of levels matters, too.)

I would have 4 difficulty levels like so:

• Easy: Recommended for beginners. The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess's challenge level.
  • Normal: Recommended for those preferring to experience Zelda's ideal difficulty. Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword's challenge level.
  • Hard: Recommended for those seeking something a bit harder than Normal mode. A Link to the Past's challenge level.
  • Hero: Recommended for experts only. Zelda II's challenge level.
Your turn.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Action: This mode focuses on skillful maneuvers in combat. Enemies are more plentiful, hit harder, and are more rewarding.
Adventure: This mode focuses on exploration and puzzle-solving. Enemies are more defensive; the environment is more complex and includes more secrets.

Perhaps there would be another mode that balances the two. Or it could be more complex, like having those as two axes which can be adjusted independently.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Fledge - Never played Zelda? This mode will ease you into the experience.
Link - The standard experience. A challenge but not too taxing.
Pipit - You've got a few Zelda's under your belt. This is for more experienced players.
Groose - You think you're pretty good, don't you? Well let's see if you live up to the Legend, shall we?

Complete Groose and you unlock...

Tingle - Your mortal mind cannot conceive of the world of torment you are about to enter into...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Action: This mode focuses on skillful maneuvers in combat. Enemies are more plentiful, hit harder, and are more rewarding.
Adventure: This mode focuses on exploration and puzzle-solving. Enemies are more defensive; the environment is more complex and includes more secrets.

Perhaps there would be another mode that balances the two. Or it could be more complex, like having those as two axes which can be adjusted independently.

So... basically the Oracle games? Okay...

Lamphobic

The Brony
Does it have to be Zelda specific? If not then:

Less good at life: For failures.
New at life: For noobs.
Used to life: For the average person.
Bored of life: For the above average person.
Where's my life: For the insane.

A difficulty naming system that can be used for almost anything.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Easy: An easier mode for newcomers. AI is dumbed down to give a more casual experience. Enemies have 50% slower speeds and deal 50% less damage than normal mode enemies. Simpler puzzles throughout the game. About the difficulty of Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess.
Normal: The basic package of the Zelda experience. Basic puzzles in the game. Enemy AI is at a normal level, normal speeds. About the difficulty of Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.
Hard: A more challenging mode than people are accustomed to. New puzzles (compared to Normal mode) strewn across the game, dungeons have slightly different interiors and different enemies appear. Enemy AI is much smarter than Normal mode, also have 1.5x to all stats including movement speed. About the difficulty of Ocarina of Time 3D Master Quest.
Hero: A much harder mode, play this mode if you're considering an adventure like no other. incredibly different puzzles (compared to Hard and Normal), improper difficulty spikes as the game progresses, different bosses at unusual moments, etc. 3x to all stats including movement speed, enemy AI is on a whole different plane of existence. About the difficulty of LoZ Second Quest intertwined with Adventure of Link.

There's my list. Four difficulty levels is simply it. :yes:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Ok let's see if I can do something different here...

What I would do is, at the beginning, when setting up your file, pick out what color of tunic you want to wear. It would go something like this:

White tunic: Basically, the game plays itself. It's the movie mode, just sit back, grab some popcorn, and watch the cutscenes. Difficulty: There isn't any.
Purple tunic: For the newbies at Zelda; this mode is much easier than other modes, as long as you are breathing you'll make it through it. It teaches the basic gameplay concepts to those not already used to it, and it also focuses on giving you exposition into the world of Zelda. Difficulty level: Wind Waker.
Green tunic: The standard Zelda game. This mode is challenging without being frustrating. What we're used to at this point. Difficulty: Ocarina of Time
Yellow tunic: A slightly more difficult Zelda game overall. Basically what is found in Skyward Sword.
Red tunic: The puzzling is on the same level as Green, but the damage dealt and the strategies used by the enemies are much harder. Very challenging, but as long as you stay focused you'll eventually make it out alive. Difficulty: Cave of Ordeals
Blue tunic: The combat is on the same level as Green, but this is the thinking man's game. The focus on overall strategy and puzzle-solving is much higher. We can't guarantee you'll make it unless you have a college degree. Difficulty: OoA, but even harder.
Black tunic: You think you're good at Zelda? WRONG! This mode'll teach you better. No heart pieces, no health found in the overworld. Enemies hit at least 4x as hard as normal. Dungeons are designed by M.C. Escher and GLaDOS. You'll have to fight hordes of enemies like at the end of SS constantly throughout the game. You'll probably die just from running around the overworld. Difficulty: Dark Souls

I'd actually support the creation of just 2 modes, Normal and Hero. Hero mode should have different puzzles and more boss battles, while also making you take 3 time more damage than usual and the AI smarter and more resistant. This would actually add a plenty of replay value and please the hardcore gamers that just can't get any challenge from any Zelda game.

I know some people said very similar stuff, but you guys are comming up with too many modes, each one having more puzzles/bosses. It takes long enough for Zelda games to be developed, adding that much extra content would probably be too much. Also, I've always hated when games adds plenty of different difficulties, If you're a perfectionist, you'll want to complete them all, the thing is, at some point the game stop being fun due to It getting repetitive. A perfect example of this is Devil May Cry 4, there are just too many difficulties and you're forced to beat each to unlock the next one. When you compare dante must die to easy you'll see how much harder It is, but since you're forced to beat the 4 difficulties between those, It ends up getting a lot easier than It should be due to you "slowly" getting used to a harder game, If there were like, only 3 modes, you would actually feel how challenging It actually is.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'd actually support the creation of just 2 modes, Normal and Hero. Hero mode should have different puzzles and more boss battles, while also making you take 3 time more damage than usual and the AI smarter and more resistant. This would actually add a plenty of replay value and please the hardcore gamers that just can't get any challenge from any Zelda game.

I think multiple modes are better due to a wider appeal. It doesn't have to be like Kid Icarus where the level design is slightly altered (although I think that would be pretty cool), but the more options, the more people can actively enjoy the game, and isn't one of Zelda's main goals to appeal to everyone?

Waking Sword- An easy mode; fewer enemies, not standing up to much punishment, everything easy to take out, focus on exploring the world unhindered. (for the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword crowd)
Exploring Sword- A normal mode, normal amount of enemies with normal health and normal difficulty. (for the Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess crowd)
Twilight Sword- A hard mode, enemies are more in number, harder to dispatch and more violent. (for the A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask Crowd)
Declining Sword- Every element of the game is a *****. (for the Adventure of Link Crowd)

I suck at naming things, sheddep.

Scoby

France
Skyward Sword ~ This game mode is for you if you haven't played a game before, You press one button and you win the game.

Adventurer ~ This mode is for the persons that have played a Zelda game before.

Hero ~ For the hardcore gamers in general, the people that are willing to abandon their social lives for a game.

I list Difficulty levels Final Fantasy style.

Zero Fighters: "Forget it"
One Fighter: "Pretty tough"
Two Fighters: "Now that's better"
Three Fighters: "This is the easiest game ever"
Four Fighters: "The game just beat itself for me"

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Grass Hopper ~ For those of you that are unfamiliar with the Zelda series, in this mode your companion character will give you hints and explain certain mechanics to you. Enemies will not be seen as much and you will start the game with 6 hearts.

Hero ~ This is for the players that are experienced with Zelda games and know the core gameplay mechanics. Harder than Grass Hopper mode, your companion will not give you any unless you ask for them, enemies have increased numbers and you start the game with 3 hearts.

Legend ~ This mode is for the most serious Zelda gamers. No amount of previous playthroughs of this game will give you any advantage in this game mode. Enemies show no mercy and have even more increased numbers, puzzles are completely different from the other modes, you are limited to 3 hearts, if your shield gets destroyed you will not get it back, you run out of resources more quickly and to top it all of everything is mirrored.

Grass Hopper mode would be on the same level as SS, Hero inbetween OoT and AoL and the last difficulty would be AoL difficulty however with limited tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom