• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Remake or Brand New?

Zleda

Toon Deity
What up guys, just thought I'd start a thread for discussion on weather or not you would enjoy a remake (of Majora's mask or Link to the Past, as rumored), or rather have an original story with a fresh design?

Personally, I would rather have a re-make of Majora's mask. Don't freak out on me but... Recent Zelda games really just haven't done it for me. While I found Skyward Sword visually stunning and amazing gameplay-wise, it just wasn't what I expected. It answered none of the questions it should have, being a series' prequel... and please don't even get me started on the Spirit Tracks....

I also think that if Majora's mask were to be re-done on the 3DS, it could be paired with Ocarina as sort of a "definitive" LoZ experience. I also think it would allow people who had never played the game an opportunity to fully experience it.

Discuss.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd much rather have a remake of Majora's Mask as I know it'd instantaneously be a hit, or A Link to the Past because a full on remake of that game could go many directions, while still being pleasing. Like you, Zleda, recent Zelda games haven't done much for me. I'd liken PH, ST and SS to mere fanfics as far as their stories are concerned, and I really felt that they were new IPs with "Legend of Zelda" slapped onto them, SS much more so. Also, given Nintendo's track record, the Zelda series has gone from hard to medium to slapstick easy for me. The past, what, five games (SS, ST, PH, TP, TWW) haven't been particularly difficulty for me, and as such I'd much rather Nintendo remake a harder game (MM or ALttP) to compensate for that, instead of making a new game that could be hit or miss. :)

Don't we already know than an original game is coming before any more remakes? Regardless, Majora's Mask is a solid game and with the Zelda franchise weakening with every installment since Wind Waker, a remake of a game as good as Majora's Mask is the safest way to sales and a pleased consumer percentage.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
MM 3D wouldn't even class as a remake to me, It's a very similar game to OoT and since it's already on the 3DS I don't see how hard it could be to just make a MM version for 3DS because they share a lot of the same gameplay mechanics, characters, art style etc. Not only that but OoT 3D wasn't even developed by Nintendo, It was a company called 'Grezzo'. So while MM 3D would be worked on Nintendo could hire their own guys to develop a completely new title for the 3DS. Which I personally am in favor of since Alttp is an entirely different game when compared to MM & OoT, So remaking it would be much harder and would cost more money most likely. Also, like you said releasing MM 3D it could be paired with OoT as a LoZ experience somewhat.

So we'd be getting a 3DS sequel for OoT and a new title for the 3DS not shortly after this. Perfect for awaiting Zelda Wii U for god knows how many years. :xd:

Don't we already know than an original game is coming before any more remakes? Regardless, Majora's Mask is a solid game and with the Zelda franchise weakening with every installment since Wind Waker, a remake of a game as good as Majora's Mask is the safest way to sales and a pleased consumer percentage.

I disagree, I'm pretty sure a completely new Zelda game will sell better than a remake. I know many Zelda fans that haven't even bought OoT 3D for the 3DS, They've already played it so many times and there is nothing new to see. The only new thing is handheld, which is perfect for those that love the game a lot and want to play it anywhere. However, any Zelda fan will most likely buy a completely new Zelda title for the 3DS because they haven't played it obviously and have no clue if it's going to be good or bad. Now, keep in mind that OoT is probably the most famous Zelda title out there and there are still people that haven't considered buying it, MM is even less known.

Last edited:
I for one don't exactly care which one comes first as long as Majora's Mask 3D absolutely gets confirmed. What I don't like are fans who keep bashing on about wanting a New Zelda game and trying to prevent a remake from happening. They don't seem to realize that a New Zelda game is guaranteed, where as Majora's Mask 3D needs support in order for it to happen. I don't really have much thought about Zelda 3DS because I don't know anything about it other then it's gonna happen in the distant future. I guess because of that I'm more hyped about Majora's Mask 3D then a Original Zelda game since Majora's Mask 3D is a fair possibility.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I for one don't exactly care which one comes first as long as Majora's Mask 3D absolutely gets confirmed. What I don't like are fans who keep bashing on about wanting a New Zelda game and trying to prevent a remake from happening. They don't seem to realize that a New Zelda game is guaranteed, where as Majora's Mask 3D needs support in order for it to happen. I don't really have much thought about Zelda 3DS because I don't know anything about it other then it's gonna happen in the distant future. I guess because of that I'm more hyped about Majora's Mask 3D then a Original Zelda game, because I can visualize how it's gonna turn out.

Agreed, Don't even understand the need for the hate for Operation Moonfall (aside from the name being stupid), Grezzo will be developing MM 3D while Nintendo focuses on a new title.

Here we go again.

Remakes definitely sell systems but original titles help propel those numbers to greater heights. Installments within a franchise have to be spaced out accordingly, a year or two between titles so the newer game's sales don't bite into those of the older one. A brand new title attracts all enthusiasts of the series for it offers a world no player has ever traversed before. Take the New Super Mario Bros. brand for example. While it may be a somewhat lazy 2D revival (namely the DS, Wii, and 3DS games), at least the levels are completely new and cooperative multiplayer finally finds its way into the fray. Oh and did I mention that each game has sold 25+ million units? Nintendo will receive greater commercial success by prioritizing and releasing a new Zelda game over a Majora's Mask or A Link to the Past remake.

I would prefer a new game over a remake, as I'm fairly sure most would. I love Majora's Mask and would love to play it again, but I've already experienced the wonder of it. I haven't played A Link to the Past yet, but I still know how it goes in general. I'm always game for a whole new Zelda adventure, though, and the mere announcement of another Zelda game in the works is usually enough to set the fanbase ablaze in expectation. I'm one of those who never bought Ocarina of Time 3D because I've beaten the original version over 50 times (not an exaggeration) and memorized basically every crevasse of it. I currently own it on the Wii's Virtual Console. Although I'm tempted by the Master Quest, boss mode, and enhanced graphics, there are probably more worthwhile things I could spend forty dollars on. Majora's Mask is currently not in my possession, so I'd likely buy the remake if it game out, but it still probably wouldn't be high up on my wish list.

I'm generally in support of Operation Moonfall, and so long as fans don't let up on the pressure, I think Nintendo will eventually make Majora's Mask 3D. I also understand Grezzo could work mostly apart from Nintendo at large to create sequels, and considering the building blocks from OoT 3D are left over and the concept of Majora's Mask has already been established, it probably wouldn't take long for them to make the sequel happen. However, I also agree with Axle in that Grezzo could be making totally new games themselves. I've been harping on spin-offs for awhile; Grezzo could totally make it a reality.

To summarize, I'd prefer a new game over a remake, but I'm all for remakes as well. I think Nintendo's made it clear they're going for a completely new game before a Majora's Mask 3D release, probably from some marketing standpoint. For now, I'm content to sit back and see what happens. But if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to choose between a remake and a completely new game and I couldn't have both (kind of a waste of a robbery if you ask me), I'd choose the new game.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Well, we've already had a remake pretty recently (OoT3D) so I'm hoping more for a completely new game.

I would prefer a new game over a remake, as I'm fairly sure most would.

OoT 3D was developed by 'Grezzo', A remake could be developed at the same time as a completely new title, No development teams on Nintendo's side would be wasted.

Kirino

Tatakae
The obvious answer would be both. Grezzo could handle Majora's Mask 3D, so they could easily make both at once. It would make everyone happy, including Nintedo themselves. If I had to choose though, I would most definitely pick a new game. While it would be cool to play MM anywhere, and with improved graphics, a new game would be much better. I want to see what Nintendo could do with Zelda on the 3DS, and a remake would only be a slightly improved version of the original. I would rather have Nintendo actually try a new game that will entertain me more, as i've already played MM multiple times.

I'd much rather have a remake of Majora's Mask as I know it'd instantaneously be a hit, or A Link to the Past because a full on remake of that game could go many directions, while still being pleasing. Like you, Zleda, recent Zelda games haven't done much for me. I'd liken PH, ST and SS to mere fanfics as far as their stories are concerned, and I really felt that they were new IPs with "Legend of Zelda" slapped onto them, SS much more so. Also, given Nintendo's track record, the Zelda series has gone from hard to medium to slapstick easy for me. The past, what, five games (SS, ST, PH, TP, TWW) haven't been particularly difficulty for me, and as such I'd much rather Nintendo remake a harder game (MM or ALttP) to compensate for that, instead of making a new game that could be hit or miss. :)

Eh. Zelda has never disappointed me before, and I highly doubt it will anytime soon, so a new game is by far the best choice for me. Wouldn't you rather see Nintendo try and make a new game, which for all you know could be fantastic, then remake a game you've already played countless times?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wouldn't you rather see Nintendo try and make a new game, which for all you know could be fantastic, then remake a game you've already played countless times?

My answer to that is a clear no. Recent Zelda (meaning, TP onwards) have all had little gripes here and there, and they all accumulated in Skyward Sword, the first Zelda game that I truly hated. The problem with Nintendo making a new game actually spirals into many subsets, but the biggest facet of that problem TO ME is their trying to appeal to the casual market. Nintendo has all but forgotten the core Zelda player with their shift from strong consoles to gimmicky consoles, and all they're doing is pushing out games with the overtone intent to make money rather than what they formally did in previous years which was an overtone intent to please the fanbase.

Another facet of the big problem is hype. Nintendo used to build up hype and eventually lived up to that hype by creating a great game that pleases most people. Granted, TWW turned several players off due to the art style, but the ingame content made many haters flock to the game only years later. On the flip side, the TP E3 2004 trailer won widespread appeal simply because of its art style, and the game content while not its strong point still hooked players. Come Skyward Sword, though, and Nintendo builds up so much hype what with the game detailing the origin of the Master Sword and answering several other questions about the Zelda lore. When it released, the fanbase had a drastic split, and I admit that I was turned off because of it. I trusted the hype, I trusted that Nintendo would live up to the expectations that they themselves knew would generate, but they fell short in the end. I'd rather not take my chances with Nintendo again; the formally invulnerable company has disappointed me left and right with the Mario series and even the prestigious Zelda series.

For those reasons, I would MUCH prefer a game I've already played several times, than potential spend--and lose--$40 to $60 on a game that I absolutely detest.

izi

Not A Wizard
You forget that this subforum isn't about Zelda on the 3DS, it's about the unannounced new 3DS Zelda game! D:

Anyways, I don't want another remake. We already got one of those. Let's bring in something new and then we can worry about the inevitable Wind Waker port. 'Cause Majora's Mask is overrated. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom