• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Evolutions of Enemies

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
There is an eveolution in TP. The transformation of toadpo, to Toadpoli, all the way up to Deku Toad. These stages seem to appear as evolutions of a frog, from tadpole to polliwog to Toad.

An evolution within the game is something rarely seen, especially in a three part evolution...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Interesting find. Is this the only evolution seen in the Zelda series? I guess you could say that the big dodongos are evolved little dodongos but at the same time it could just be a grown up dodongo.

BoxTar

Interesting find. Is this the only evolution seen in the Zelda series? I guess you could say that the big dodongos are evolved little dodongos but at the same time it could just be a grown up dodongo.

exactly. This evolution is the only three part evolution that I could find. Frogs are different in a way though. They have a different devolopment system than other animals. but it is still interesting that Nintendo decided to put that type of evolutionary format within the TP storybase.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Maybe this means we will see more in the future. It's very interesting to think about where the creatures actually come from. We know so little about the creatures in the series. Did some evil being make them or are they just normal "animals" in the Zelda world?

BoxTar

Maybe this means we will see more in the future. It's very interesting to think about where the creatures actually come from. We know so little about the creatures in the series. Did some evil being make them or are they just normal "animals" in the Zelda world?

The fact that they attack Link could make them evil by nature...then again, they could just be very territorial and attack anyone who gets too close.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The fact that they attack Link could make them evil by nature...then again, they could just be very territorial and attack anyone who gets too close.

Well think of it this way, we have animals that will attack humans on sight. Many species of bears, wolves, sharks, some types of fish etc..

What if those monsters aren't monsters at all, but just hostile animals. If they replaced those monsters with hostile animals we wouldn't think anything of it, but because we aren't used to those creatures we just call them monsters when they easily could be normal animals to the Hylians.

Steve

5/19/13
Well think of it this way, we have animals that will attack humans on sight. Many species of bears, wolves, sharks, some types of fish etc..

What if those monsters aren't monsters at all, but just hostile animals. If they replaced those monsters with hostile animals we wouldn't think anything of it, but because we aren't used to those creatures we just call them monsters when they easily could be normal animals to the Hylians.

I think Wolfos are a good example of just that. They attack Link, so we consciously assume that they serve Ganon or other dark forces. What Twilight Princess showed, with the large numbers of Wolfos at a time, similar to a pack of wolves, they are infact territorial.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I think Wolfos are a good example of just that. They attack Link, so we consciously assume that they serve Ganon or other dark forces. What Twilight Princess showed, with the large numbers of Wolfos at a time, similar to a pack of wolves, they are infact territorial.

Exactly. It's almost impossible to figure out who is working for Ganon/dorf and who is just an "animal" who feels threatened or is protecting their territory. This is with the exception of Moblins and other monsters of the sort that are obvious Ganon/dorf followers.

BoxTar

Exactly. It's almost impossible to figure out who is working for Ganon/dorf and who is just an "animal" who feels threatened or is protecting their territory. This is with the exception of Moblins and other monsters of the sort that are obvious Ganon/dorf followers.

The ones that are actually in their castles and protecting the doors, such as darknuts or other warriors, are obviously servants of ganon/dorf, because they were put there by Ganon/dorf to try to stop Link or any other hero from getting to him, or at least slow him down.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The ones that are actually in their castles and protecting the doors, such as darknuts or other warriors, are obviously servants of ganon/dorf, because they were put there by Ganon/dorf to try to stop Link or any other hero from getting to him, or at least slow him down.

Well that's pretty obvious. I'm more talking about the actual beasts. Darknuts and whatever are more human-like.

BoxTar

Well that's pretty obvious. I'm more talking about the actual beasts. Darknuts and whatever are more human-like.

Good point. But how about the beasts in dungeons? More natural dungeons like the Deku Tree or any other nature dungeon probably just has territorial enemies, same as when they are in nature, like in Hyrule Field. but when they are in Temples or more architectual, possibly man-made (or god-made) dungeons, they could be put there to attack anybody, as told by ganon/dorf, or possibly the Gods themselves, so that they could take out any evil that was trying to take the thing kept inside, like the Water Medallion in the water Temple.

So, it might not always be ganon/dorf who put those enemies in there. They could be in there for good purposes, but in our eyes, they are in there for evil purposes, because we are getting attacked. But they don't always have to be evil if they aren't territorial.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Good point. But how about the beasts in dungeons? More natural dungeons like the Deku Tree or any other nature dungeon probably just has territorial enemies, same as when they are in nature, like in Hyrule Field. but when they are in Temples or more architectual, possibly man-made (or god-made) dungeons, they could be put there to attack anybody, as told by ganon/dorf, or possibly the Gods themselves, so that they could take out any evil that was trying to take the thing kept inside, like the Water Medallion in the water Temple.

So, it might not always be ganon/dorf who put those enemies in there. They could be in there for good purposes, but in our eyes, they are in there for evil purposes, because we are getting attacked. But they don't always have to be evil if they aren't territorial.

Well first of all, it was stated in OoT that the Deku Tree, Jabu Jabu and the Goron mines were all visited by Ganondorf which means that those places were infected by him so the monsters are there under his order.

Also, the water medallion doesn't reside in the water temple. The sage of water gives you the water medallion which is a physical manifestation of part of her power. The medallions aren't items in a chest that people can just randomly find.

BoxTar

Well first of all, it was stated in OoT that the Deku Tree, Jabu Jabu and the Goron mines were all visited by Ganondorf which means that those places were infected by him so the monsters are there under his order.

Also, the water medallion doesn't reside in the water temple. The sage of water gives you the water medallion which is a physical manifestation of part of her power. The medallions aren't items in a chest that people can just randomly find.

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. What I meant was they protected the access to the place that had the sages (I haven't played OoT in 4 years, so i can't remember what the name of this place was).

The overall point I was trying to make is that the ones in the temples aren't always evil, they may have been there to protect the gate into the sage room, or whatever treasure happened to be in that particular Temple/dungeon.

Bosses were obviously controlled by Ganon/dorf, because all of the bosses could not be normally encountered later. These bosses were ganon/dorf's way of protecting the gate to the sage room from Link, or any other hero for that matter, so that he could personally go in there eventually.

We don't ever know if ganon/dorf is really in his castle, or if he was just preparing to get the Medallions (or sage room, etc.) for himself.

Anyway, my major, core point to all of this is that not all of the enemies have to be evil. when some play a game, andhey see something attacking them, they automatically think "Ooh! An enemy who is evil", when it could really just put there by the Gods to protect access to the sage room sorrycalling it the "sage room". As I mentioned before, I don't know what the place is called).

Or they could just be an animal who wandered into the Temple. There could be several theories. But I'm sticking with mine.

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
What about species such as gorons and zora's?
Okay so zora's are clearly evolved from fish, probably dolphins, but gorons cant have evolved from rocks. I'd say gorons actually evolved from people, i mean come of it, having skin made of rocks meaning they can survive super hot temperatures and almost any collision is much more useful than... well, skin. But gorons have lots of tribal tattoos and live in rocky sandy areas. so perhaps they evolved from a specific chain of people, say native australians from the outback or something similar? I'm probably thinking too far into this now. lol.

Dude, dolphins are mammals, not fish.
Anyway, what I theorize is that when Hyrule was seperated from the mainland about, oh, let's say 5 million years ago, it isolated all of the creatures we would've seen in Europe back then (yes, I believe Hyrule was on Earth. Deal with it). So the mountain lizards evolved into dodongos (or as I like to call them: Phlegonosaurs), octopus evolved into Octoroks (Land Octopus), and then later, some returned to the water and became water-dwelling octoroks (River Octopus), the grassland lizards evolved into Helmasaurs (I just call them by the same name), a certain species of bird evolved into the Kargorok (Dragon Buzzards), some species of spiders evolved into the Tektite (Springlegged Spider) and Gohma (Armored Spider), a species of frog evolved into the Deku Toad (which I call a Bloat Frog, due to it's lack of warts), and a type of slime mold evolved into the Chuchu. And thats just to name a few.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I doubt that the creators meant for Hyrule to be on Earth. That's like saying that if things worked out differently, we would live in a world like theirs. They live in a nearly eternal Medieval world with the exception of WW/PH. I don't think the creatures in the game are meant to be evolutions of animals, but I would bet money they are based on certain animals. This thread is more just to discuss which animals we think the monsters come from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom