• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Let Zelda Kick Some Butt for a Change

Think the idea suggested in this post is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

PolarBear

I just recently found this site while searching for a walk through for Ocarina of Time. I hadn't played it in so long I'd forgotten nearly everything so it was like playing a new game. lol

Any way I was thrilled to find a website that had video walkthroughs since after having played a couple of Zelda games that I really didn't like such as that old side scrolling Adventure of Link and Wind Walker (wasn't very happy with that one either) I've become very hesitant when it comes to buying new Zelda games and these video walkthroughs are a good way to find out if it's one that I'l like or not.

That being said I just finished watching the walkthrough of Skyward Sword and I've got mixed feelings about it but it looks good enough that I'll probably buy it but that's not the real reason for this post.

While watching it I put a lot of thought into my criteria as to what makes a good zelda game and while doing that I had an interesting idea...

I think it would be pretty cool to let Zelda have her turn at being the hero or heroine a the case may be in one of the games. The scenario could be Ganandorf is up to his old tricks again but having been thwarted by link so often in the past he decides to take link out of the picture early this time to prevent him from becoming a threat later on so Ganondorf locks link away in some inaccessible realm leaving Zelda no choice but to take up the mastersword and put to use all those ninja like skills she learned from her Sheikah bodyguard Impa.

Would be nice to see Zelda kicking some butt for a change instead of being a helpless victim waiting to be rescued. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
No, I don't think it would be a good idea. Just sticking with Link is the best way they can go with the Zelda series in my opinion.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
The only thing I have truely wrong with this is that Zelda would get the Master Sword. It can only be used by the possessor of the Triforce of Courage. It could be some other legendary sword, just not the Master Sword. Other than this I see nothing wrong with this idea.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Well you don't give Zelda entire credit.
At the end of some games, or even during she does have Link "kick butt".
For example:
In Spirit Tracks Zelda consumes the body of a Phantom temporarily to help guide Link to his destined location, while still protecting him and "kicking butt".

And besides, the concept where the princess has to save the hero was once done by Super Mario.
(Where Princess Peach has a bunch of emotions.)

BUT, I do think a game where you could be in ZELDA'S shoes for once would be..... fairly interesting. : )

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Zelda would make a very interesting protagonist for a future title in the series but would more likely appear in a spin-off than a main game. I simply can't imagine Zelda traversing dungeons along the lines of what Link does. The game would even be more action oriented or incorporate more stealth elements due to Zelda's lack of physical prowess. Maybe something like Spirit Tracks would work where she's able to possess people's bodies or better yet playing as one of her transformations such as Sheik or Tetra. I see potential for a spin-off in the future, however, it would not be played as the princess in the form we most commonly associate her with.

Big Octo

=^)
This isn't all that bad of an idea... However, it's far too late into the series to make such as change (canonically, at least). Over the past 26 years, the role of Link as the hero has been carefully defined by impressive demonstration and trial and error. It's been set in stone, trying to tweak things at such a drastic scale as this would be a certainly dangerous and devastating decision.

I'm not a fan of the idea, but I'd give it a chance if it is done right, of course. I believe Zelda was the main character in the unpopular CD-i game known as Zelda's Adventure. Said game was not well received among mainstream Zelda fans, but that's mostly due to the game's not being handled by Nintendo in the first place. Perhaps if Nintendo got a chance at it, a game featuring Zelda as the protagonist would be a hit, but who knows? For the time being, however, I think I'll stick with Link. :yes:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Only link can use the Master sword, because he has the blood of the hero. Nobody else can even hold it, this is quite clear since Zelda makes no attempt to pick it up and toss it over the flame wall in the battle with Ganon in OOT. For that reason Zelda can't defeat Ganon. If she were to be a heroine the villain should be something that is not Ganon, something that is in her capability to defeat.

A

Artificial

I am all for it, as long as they make her heroic. I hated the Zelda from Spirit Tracks, which makes her seem to be an annoying crybaby. I've always saw Zelda as a strong, fearless princess. I think getting to play as her and get to experience the other side of things would be great. Unless like I said, they make her out to be a complainer.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I would say no for the reason that I can't really see it. Maybe having zelda be more involved in the dirty work, but not actually being the main playable character. I think that it might be cool to have zelda as a partner during greater parts of the game, but that would be the closest thing to it I can take. I need to not have an AI following me around and stuff. Especially if they have lots of "conversation dialogue" in it as well. That is just plain annoying. Overall though, I prefer to have link your playable character and I don't want other people or AI around me. I would prefer just link for the majority, but there could be segments where zelda is helping you directly. For the most part though, I don't like friendly AI assisting you, unless it is done just right. Just leave it how it is for the main part, and add zelda doing stuff, maybe separately. I might post something later about what I think would be good in a zelda with something like this.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
There are many ways that this idea could work. For example, a co-op experience, a spin-off game, or playable parts in a main game. Obviously, her character would have to change (but that's nothing new seeing as Zelda almost always has a completely different personality in each game she appears in). Her character would have to be affected by certain circumstances in order for it to be believable. A reason why Zelda would get her hands dirty, a reason for her to fight. Maybe the end of the world? Maybe Ganon has taken over the Kingdom? And the list goes on and on.

Normally, I'd be against this sort of thing. But now that I have given it some thought, I'm actually for the idea. Something that just came to mind was making another toon game and making it co-op. Have one player take control of Link and another, Tetra. If the Wii U is gonna have more emphasis on online play than it's predecessors, then I say Nintendo should go for it. Either that, or more Four Swords...Not that that's a bad thing, but it's been done twice before. And Nintendo's always been about innovation.

I don't know why, but every time I picture Zelda having a playable role in a Zelda game, I always picture her in a more barbaric outfit. Something that shows off some skin.

Last edited:
yeeeah, those games didn't exactly make her shine.

I think there was even a supposedly scrapped game that was going to be made after OoT which focused on her/Shiek...but maybe that was just a rumor anyway.

Regardless, the series is named after her, and I can see her being the "magical" aspect of the game with Link being the "practical" aspect.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
No, I don't think that Zelda should have her own game.... It's not like Mario. In the Mario Universe everything is whimsical and plain fun, you EXPECT Peach to get back at Bowser and be on her own for comedy sake and such. It's just plain fun. Nintendo can do ANYTHING with the Mario series and it would still make sense. As for the Zelda Series, it follows a set formula. There is the villain, the damsel in Distress, and then the Hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom