• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sci-Fi Vs. Fantasy

Sci-Fi or Fantasy?

• Sci-Fi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
What do you think is a better setting for a video game? Sci-Fi or Fantasy? This is only for video games, not books and movies. I'd have to say fantasy, I like medieval themes and Zelda has a fantastic setting. What do you think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well it personally depends. Sci-Fi settings in my experience have gotten better backing as far as the gameplay behind them, though fantasy can do as good. Final Fantasy is a fantasy setting. Zelda is a fantasy setting. Dead Space is sci-fi, and I'd like to say Resident Evil is sci-fi as well. Star Ocean is definitely sci-fi. So both, I don't have a preference (:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I enjoy both, but I would have to say I prefer fantasy, as well. I love playing with magic in games, and, of course, swords. Most sci-fi games that I have seen tend to be along the lines of shooters.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Elves, magic, swords and the like combined with an in-depth story are a wonderful treat. There’s something very appealing to that. At the same time, I love stories about the future, space travel, time travel, dystopian societies and/or alternate realities. The thing about science fiction is that it can encompass pretty much all the fantasy genre can and more, which is why I like science fiction a bit more than fantasy, though I love them both.

Science fiction can incorporate fantastical elements such as swords, ‘magic’, and elves easily within the genre. They just might require a different explanation than the fantasy genre offers for their existence. The entire story can take place without any lasers, any spaceships, or anything you might normally associate with the science fiction genre. It could take place on an imagined planet with different environmental elements (such as a binary stat system) which affect a society on the planet, as in the book trilogy, Helliconia, by Brian Aldiss. Or it could have all the elements more commonly associated with science fiction. Possibilities seem wider in science fiction to me, though fantasy can definitely incorporate some interesting twists.

I think fantasy does a lot of the same things as science fiction, but with a different feel/perspective to it. Majora’s Mask, depending on your perspective, can be said to incorporate a bit of science fiction in it with travel to a parallel universe. (This could also be painted in the light of fantasy, with it being a magical portal.) Time travel in Ocarina of Time is done in a more fantasy way, using a magical instrument. Whereas time travel in science fiction is done with more, yet less, (Since it obviously isn’t explained in maximum detail) explanation in the ‘how’ of time travel. Science fiction and fantasy are close in these kinds of ways, and I love them both. Given my current exposure to either genre I do tend to favor science fiction more though.

In terms of the gameplay, you could have either storytelling genre/setting in pretty much any gameplay genre, so I’d have to know that genre to rate them in that context. :P

Me personally, I like fantasy best. I love them both though, and would never do away with science fiction video games, but I find that fantasy is more conductive to the fun, imaginative, and creative worlds I enjoy in video games. It allows for more and it tends to be fantasy games and settings that appeal to me the most.

I'd have to say fantasy, I like medieval themes and Zelda has a fantastic setting.
For the record, medieval isn't automatically fantasy. Many fantasy games aren't medieval at all, and can be even almost futuristic. I'm not sure if you meant to imply this or not; just saying.

Most sci-fi games that I have seen tend to be along the lines of shooters.
I know you're not saying they all are, but I just wanted to affirm that there are definitely all kinds of other science fiction games. Some of them includes RPGs, and even adventure games like Zelda.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
For the record, medieval isn't automatically fantasy. Many fantasy games aren't medieval at all, and can be even almost futuristic. I'm not sure if you meant to imply this or not; just saying.

I know. But most of them are. With dragons and whatnot.

D-Lo G

Author of Short Stories
I love fantasy...but I don't really like Sci-Fi. I like Star Wars and stuff, but Zelda completely overpowers that.

I say fantasy even though i accidentally voted sc-fi because i thought it was for book but for games fantasy all the way. Since Zelda is a Fantasy I'm with Fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom