• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Completing the Shadow Temple and Bottom of the Well Without the Lens of Truth?

The Shadow Temple only requires the Lens of Truth because you can't see through the illusions (either objects that aren't really there, or objects you can't see), but the "truth" is there whether you have the item or not, and can still be interacted with properly. So you can actually complete both the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple without using the Lens of Truth.

I managed to do this but it was incredibly hard. I'll admit I used the lens just once in a room in the Shadow Temple, but it had nothing to do with puzzles and it was just to get a single chest that I could see was there on the map, but couldn't figure out how to find its exact placement. I did this numerous other times with other chests though, it was just that one I was messing up on. Getting through the other parts is tricky, and involves memory, trial and error, and testing floors with Deku Nuts, Bombs, and the Hookshot (see if it hits an object or not).

So has anyone else ever tried this? Were you successful? Thoughts?

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
I have to say that I have never attempted this from the start. There were moments where I was in the bottom of the well or in the shadow temple and I thought, "Huh, I wonder how difficult it would be if I tried this without the lens?"
Alas, it didn't end up very well. In one room, all I could see was open space, and of course I was blind-sided (hehe, pun) by the huge spinning blade in the middle. That's just one example of way too many. So of course I finished both places while using the Lens of Truth. I also don't think I'll be trying it ever again, either. There's just something about making it harder than it has to be...

I have to say that I have never attempted this from the start. There were moments where I was in the bottom of the well or in the shadow temple and I thought, "Huh, I wonder how difficult it would be if I tried this without the lens?"
Alas, it didn't end up very well. In one room, all I could see was open space, and of course I was blind-sided (hehe, pun) by the huge spinning blade in the middle. That's just one example of way too many. So of course I finished both places while using the Lens of Truth. I also don't think I'll be trying it ever again, either. There's just something about making it harder than it has to be...
Ha, yeah, in a number of ways it's really not worth it. I felt kinda bad*** doing it that one time on a minimalist run, but I think I can safely say I never want to do it again. I think you've made a wise choice. :bleh:

MW7

I've done it at least five times. Most of those were 3 heart runs or minimalist runs- I struggle with Bongo Bongo though. The lens doesn't make a difference though for me on Bongo Bongo because I remember dying at him on my first ever 3 heart run with the lens. I've just never got the hang of him, and for some reason he seems even harder in OOT 3d.

The trick with shooting the hookshot into the floor is what I use a lot because there are 2 places I still have trouble with- going across the invisible moving platforms is really hard and crossing to the Boss door. There are a couple of other tricks like moving the statue in the first room- if you wear the hover boots, you can avoid falling and taking damage. In the room with the invisible spikes on the floor, wearing the hover boots let's you walk over the spikes safely. Also it's a ton easier in OOT 3d because the hookshot shows you where hookshot targets are. In the n64 version the red dot only moves very slightly toward you because the targets stick out slightly. It takes practice to notice the subtle difference.

Usually when I do a minimalist run I treat the Bottom of the Well as an optional dungeon so I never enter it or even get the song of storms. Skipping it requires you to know the way through the Haunted Wasteland which is tough to learn but easy once you do it once.

I definitely recommend doing Shadow without the lens, Water without the Zora Tunic, Fire without the Goron Tunic, and reaching Spirit without the lens for someone looking for new challenges in the game.. All of these are possible without the use of a single glitch and make the game much harder.

Last edited:
Im sorry but I don't see how that would be any fun. I could probably do it, seeing as I (as I'm sure many others) have played through OoT multiple times, it just doesn't seem like a challenge I'd be proud with after completing

Minimalist runs? Bah! I want my stuff early! I go into the well before even becoming an adult (an easy glitch, look it up on YouTube), get the Biggoron Sword before entering the Forest Temple, etc...

MW7

Minimalist runs? Bah! I want my stuff early! I go into the well before even becoming an adult (an easy glitch, look it up on YouTube), get the Biggoron Sword before entering the Forest Temple, etc...

What's funny is that I like combining both minimalist runs with getting stuff early. One of my favorite things to do is get the Gerudo's Membership Pass before entering the Forest Temple- it requires you to get the Longshot since Epona is off limits in my minimalist rules. So actually it's two items early: the pass and the longshot. The longshot is possible to obtain before the bow because the bow is only necessary for the last two keys of the Water Temple which lead to the boss key. Then I proceed to get the Requiem of Spirit early by going through the haunted wasteland blind. It's my second warp song after the Serenade of Water in this scenario.

You can cross the gap with the Hookshot. There's a spot where it'll just barely reach the top of the downed bridge, then you just climb up (in the original, not sure about OoT3D).

MW7

You can cross the gap with the Hookshot. There's a spot where it'll just barely reach the top of the downed bridge, then you just climb up (in the original, not sure about OoT3D).

Cool thanks I never knew that. That reminds me of how in Majora's Mask you can reach a tree with the hookshot to cross the river to get to Stone Tower Temple before Great Bay Temple. The designers make you think you need the Ice Arrows but you don't.

I would think using the Hookshot and Hover Boots in extra places just to make it easier spoils the spirit of the minimalist run. You might as well pull the lense out in those places.

It occurred to me a while back that the Shadow Temple was probably doable without the lens, but I've never gotten around to trying it.

That must be a pain in a butt doing a shadow temple without the lense of truth...It was challenging with them...but without them... :O

i followed the zelda dungeon walkthrough for ocarina of time (thanks guys) :triforce: :stalfos: :):ganondorf::eek:carina::fairy::cucco::zelda: so i used the lens of truth:mastersword:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom