• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Shield-Bash-Stun

Do you like the Shield-Bash-Stun?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I've touched on this in the "Hardest Enemy" thread but I really want to delve into this more and hear your opinions.

While the swordplay in SS is extremely fun, the shieldplay is not. Almost every enemy in the game can be taken down by simply bashing them with your shield. When battling Technoblins and using the Iron Shield, a simple shield-bash-stun will take them down without Link taking any damage even though your Iron Shield supposedly conducts electricity. While in Lanayru Desert, I never even switched back to the Wooden Shield (which I'm pretty sure is what they wanted you to do seeing as the Sacred Shield wasn't available yet) for the simple fact that I never needed to. Even those electric roller guys could be taken out with shield-bash-stuns with an Iron Shield.

I know that WW had the same basic flaw with parrying, but I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT WW. I don't want to hear any comparisons, I want to hear your thoughts on the shield-bash-stun and what it did for combat in SS. Personally, I would keep the shield-bash idea but scrap the stunning. I would have it so when an enemy attacks you, if you do not bash in time, the attack will make you stumble a bit, like it already does, but when you do bash at the right time, it only allows you to block that attack without stumbling, taking damage, or harming your shield; no stunning.

What do you think?

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Agreed, i think shield bash kinda destroys the wii motion+ sword gameplay. It gives the feeling that you counter more instead of strategized sword gameplay.

Thay should have put a limit, like that the shield bash also decreases from the shield meter or something.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I enjoyed it and used it a lot. Sure, it might kill the motion controls if abused too much but in many situations it was just a good time saver compared to the backflip. Good example are the Lizalfos. Without the shield bash, it would've taken much longer to kill one because you'd have to wait for them to assume their "mocking" position. In other cases it was slower than beating the enemies in the regular way (Deku babas, final battle) but also safer, therefore I used it even more in Hero Mode. I think it adds more to the game startegy-wise than it takes from it.

Oddly enough I have mostly been using my sword. Early on in the game I had a shield break and had to rebuy the shield so since then I used it sparingly. Sadly, I didn't even know you could shield bash without taking damage to the shield. I guess I should experiment around more often.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In other cases it was slower than beating the enemies in the regular way (final battle)
Actually, shield bashing is faster than the sword method; final boss speedruns have proven this.

I personally like the idea of shield bashing, but not the easy to abuse stun part of it. So yeah, remove the stun but keep the general bashing.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I enjoyed it and used it a lot. Sure, it might kill the motion controls if abused too much but in many situations it was just a good time saver compared to the backflip. Good example are the Lizalfos. Without the shield bash, it would've taken much longer to kill one because you'd have to wait for them to assume their "mocking" position. In other cases it was slower than beating the enemies in the regular way (Deku babas, final battle) but also safer, therefore I used it even more in Hero Mode. I think it adds more to the game startegy-wise than it takes from it.

Why wait for their mocking position? Hit them a couple of times (even if they block them and take no damage) and they will go to their "mocking" position right away. And to make it more simple, hit it with a spin attack (i think jump atttack is also a option) and you can instantly follow it with a lethal blow.

You should not underestimate the backflip, because you can instantly follow it with a jump attack.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
Wow, they give you the option to not have a shield equipped, if you have a problem with the shield, don't use it. It doesn't do anything to ruin the swordplay, it just helps less experienced players that are having trouble with certain enemies. Again, you don't like it, don't use it. It's that simple.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wow, they give you the option to not have a shield equipped, if you have a problem with the shield, don't use it. It doesn't do anything to ruin the swordplay, it just helps less experienced players that are having trouble with certain enemies. Again, you don't like it, don't use it. It's that simple.

It's not as simple as "if u no liek, dun use". That's a lazy excuse to not fix something that is clearly broken. Some people actually LIKE using their shield, but they'd much rather being able to use it with its commands WITHOUT having things so ridiculously easy to pass through. Challenge is a good thing, especially in a Zelda game.

I guess I should count my blessings. One of them being the absence of your involvement in TLoZ.

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
I dont think we should be so critical. I like the idea because it really makes me feel like im holding the sword and shield, just like link. I actually like to knock the enemy off guard so i can beat him up with my sword!!! I voted yes so maybe we could get something like it in future zelda games.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I liked the shield bash. Even though I was never a big fan of Twilight Princess the hidden skills were an amazing twist that got you to expand from the normal slashes. Skyward Sword sadly had only the main skills, however with the shield bash we got at least a tiny bit of variety in gameplay.

Ruby Link

He who started the fire
I guess I should count my blessings. One of them being the absence of your involvement in TLoZ.

Dude, all I said was don't use the shield, seriously, why are you getting so defensive? You barely need to use the shield bash anyway, the only enemy where it's necessary to use is the Octorok. If your using it to the point where it gets abusive and your upset about things being too easy, don't shield bash. It's just a suggestion, you don't need to hate on me. Whatever, haters be hating.

I do think the shield bash does make things a bit too easy. During my first play through, I didn't end up using it much and focused more on swordplay which I enjoyed more than shieldbashing. It wasn't until the final bosses until I realized I had no choice but to use it. I also didn't realize that the Iron Shield can be used against the electric enemies even though it supposedly conducts electricity. That makes no sense and was probably overlooked by the developers.

Dude, all I said was don't use the shield, seriously, why are you getting so defensive? You barely need to use the shield bash anyway, the only enemy where it's necessary to use is the Octorok. If your using it to the point where it gets abusive and your upset about things being too easy, don't shield bash. It's just a suggestion, you don't need to hate on me. Whatever, haters be hating.

If they gave you a giant fireball that killed an enemy in one hit if you timed it right, would you still say "just don't use it". That's what I feel like the stun bash is like, most enemies can be disposed with a good timed shield-stun-bash then hack and slash. And don't act like you didn't start this.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Actually, shield bashing is faster than the sword method; final boss speedruns have proven this.

I personally like the idea of shield bashing, but not the easy to abuse stun part of it. So yeah, remove the stun but keep the general bashing.

Yeah, you're somehow right, total pros like that one Japanese guy who finished off Demise in 28 seconds will use the advantages of both defensive and offensive gameplay at the same time. I was thinking more of the following two extremes: In the second phase, you can either just stay close up to him, shield bash him two or three times in a row and then strike once or maybe twice, that's the safest way. Or you can go back a little, charge the Skyward Strike, hit him with that and then get like 10 slashes in, but risking to be struck by him if you don't sidejump just at the right time after your sword gets charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom