• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are the Top 3 Most Overrated Games of All Time?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The highest (and therefore, overrated because at least half of the scores it gets are exaggerated) rated games I can think of are
  1. Zelda:Ocarina of Time
  2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (soon to be MW3, and Black Ops, CoD fans don't know what they're doing)
  3. Halo:CE
Have a problem with this list? Let me see yours! Oh and please, explain why you put it as overrated. Remember that overrated means excessive high scores with little to no explanation. For example, OoT regularly gets the "perfect game" comment from nearly everyone. And I mean, the game deserves that because anytime someone says a negative comment about OoT, they say something completely asinine like "That game sucked, I lieked TP moar" which doesn't make sense at all because TP is almost a completely OoT carbon copy in many respects >.>

Last edited:

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Please read my reasonings for the games on the list, not just the list itself.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (very, very overrated)
2. Call of Duty Black Ops (not MW2, MW2 is great! Treyarch ruined CoD.)
3. Halo: Reach (really sucked as a Halo game. Combat Evolved through ODST were very great, but Reach was just… bleh.)

Oh, and stop judging FPS's so badly people!
My point is, stop doing this:
Call of Duty
Call of Duty and
Call of Duty.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Please read my reasonings for the games on the list, not just the list itself.
Oh, and stop judging FPS's so badly people!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (very, very overrated)
2. Call of Duty Black Ops (not MW2, MW2 is great! Treyarch ruined CoD.)
3. Halo: Reach (really sucked as a Halo game. Combat Evolved through ODST were very great, but Reach was just… bleh.)
FPS these days just suck, I remember back in the N64 day where FPS meant single player shooting adventure with a story (Turok series was epic). But now, it's just online crap with no single player features at all. I mean, look at Black Ops' Offline Combat Training. We don't even get to level up whereas we can with Online CT. Oh, and player count is 10 offline CT but 12 online? What the heck?

Call of Duty
Call of Duty and
Call of Duty.
YOU CAN'T PUT THE SAME GAME TWICE! THAT'S CHEATING! lol

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
FPS these days just suck, I remember back in the N64 day where FPS meant single player shooting adventure with a story (Turok series was epic). But now, it's just online crap with no single player features at all. I mean, look at Black Ops' Offline Combat Training. We don't even get to level up whereas we can with Online CT. Oh, and player count is 10 offline CT but 12 online? What the heck?
What? Hold on, no single player at all? Modern Warfare 2 had probably my 3rd or 4th favorite single-player campaign of any FPS! Don't judge if you don't know what you're judging. Halo 3's campaign still trumps any FPS's campaign imo. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, single-player campaigns in FPS's (not all of them, though) are just as good as they were 15 years ago (imo), it's just that most people (not me) automatically flock to the multiplayer. The game developers do not like this any more than you do. In the beginning of Modern Warfare 2, if you select Multipayer before playing the campaign, a notice pops up saying they highly recommend playing the campaign first. The multiplayer is just mindless shooting, but some find it fun (I know it's not for everyone). Anyway, I hope to have made my point clear.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What? Hold on, no single player at all? Modern Warfare 2 had probably my 3rd or 4th favorite single-player campaign of any FPS! Don't judge if you don't know what you're judging. Halo 3's campaign still trumps any FPS's campaign imo. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, single-player campaigns in FPS's (not all of them, though) are just as good as they were 15 years ago (imo), it's just that most people (not me) automatically flock to the multiplayer. The game developers do not like this any more than you do. In the beginning of Modern Warfare 2, if you select Multipayer before playing the campaign, a notice pops up saying they highly recommend playing the campaign first. The multiplayer is just mindless shooting, but some find it fun (I know it's not for everyone). Anyway, I hope to have made my point clear.
I understand what you mean, but MW2's campaign lasted what, a couple hours? Not really a 'campaign' in my opinion. Halo's campaigns are always meaningful in their existence, but Call of Duty's campaigns might as well not exist. You don't even get to know the characters because they're either shouting the F word or getting killed off *looks at Black Ops*. I won't deny that FPS DO have single player features, but no where near the degree of their multiplayer. Spec Ops in MW2 was stupid, just plain stupid. I didn't like it at all, but that's just me. Activision+it's partners through out a new CoD every year just to have better/changed graphics, their multiplayer is the same and their campaign is always lacking in something that would be essential for a campaign. Sorry if I'm rude, tell me if I am and I'll stop lol

Final Fantasy VII- I loved this game, but I hate how people are always either bashing it or calling it the best game ever made. It's a great game, but I'm just tired of seeing "Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever" on every review of it.
Double Dragon- A lot of people call this an awesome game. I'd say it's very bad in my book. The jumping is stiff, the gameplay is monotonous (walk, punch, pick up, throw, walk, punch, pick up, throw...), and the co-op mode is halfway decent, unless you're playing the NES version, in which case it's god-awful turn-based gameplay that shouldn't be in an action game like this.
Megaman III- the music sounds like a phone ringing endlessly, the difficulty keeps jumping between hard and easy, and the power-ups aren't what I call good (spinning like a top, throwing inaccurate shurikens, launching your fist, etc.) Someone explain why this is called a "good" game, because I see no appeal in it whatsoever.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I understand what you mean, but MW2's campaign lasted what, a couple hours? Not really a 'campaign' in my opinion. Halo's campaigns are always meaningful in their existence, but Call of Duty's campaigns might as well not exist. You don't even get to know the characters because they're either shouting the F word or getting killed off *looks at Black Ops*. I won't deny that FPS DO have single player features, but no where near the degree of their multiplayer. Spec Ops in MW2 was stupid, just plain stupid. I didn't like it at all, but that's just me. Activision+it's partners through out a new CoD every year just to have better/changed graphics, their multiplayer is the same and their campaign is always lacking in something that would be essential for a campaign. Sorry if I'm rude, tell me if I am and I'll stop lol
About being rude, I was actually hoping that I wasn't being rude lol. I enjoy a nice debate (while at the same time, I hate arguements).
Now I agree with you on several terms here. I think Activision abolutely SUCKS when it comes to CoD, and Treyarch (the company that made WaW and BO) just makes it worse, but I really like InfinityWard (the company that made CoD's 1, 2, 4, MW2, and MW3). Yes, people are killed off on Black Ops WAAYYY too often (this is why I turn gore/language off), but that's basically ONLY black ops.
As for storylines, Halo was very meaningful, as you have said. Black Ops' campaign was kinda cool, if you're for that kind of thing ("that kind of thing" is a very cinematic action-movie-style campaign), while the Modern Warfare 1/2/3 campaigns were cool because they are things that could actually happen in combat, seeing how they're set in 2014. Once again, you have to be for that kind of "mass-word-warfare" type of thing.
Hold on, this thread is starting to stray a little off-topic… should we keep going this way, or go back to what the thread was intended for?

Final Fantasy VII- I loved this game, but I hate how people are always either bashing it or calling it the best game ever made. It's a great game, but I'm just tired of seeing "Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game ever" on every review of it.
Double Dragon- A lot of people call this an awesome game. I'd say it's very bad in my book. The jumping is stiff, the gameplay is monotonous (walk, punch, pick up, throw, walk, punch, pick up, throw...), and the co-op mode is halfway decent, unless you're playing the NES version, in which case it's god-awful turn-based gameplay that shouldn't be in an action game like this.
Megaman III- the music sounds like a phone ringing endlessly, the difficulty keeps jumping between hard and easy, and the power-ups aren't what I call good (spinning like a top, throwing inaccurate shurikens, launching your fist, etc.) Someone explain why this is called a "good" game, because I see no appeal in it whatsoever.
Thank you for posting something that does something besides just bash modern FPS's.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

FF7 was a legend, you don't get those graphics or cinematics everyday back in the day! And I think people were just fangirling for Cloud, I played FF7 and I wasn't too amazed though amazed I was nonetheless. By today's standards, it's far from best game ever and I believe that FF12 beats it because Vaan > Cloud in my opinion lol.

I never heard of Double Dragon...
MM3 was like...the king of Megaman games. Until recently, Megaman was an oft-recurring game series that I'd play through and Megaman 3 was one of the top games of the entire series. I don't know what it was about it, but it's just such a good game.
-----
Well, the thread could always incorporate reasons as to why those games are overrated, even going into each game and the series it belongs to to do so :D
I just hope the mods don't care too much, I made this thread for the sake of discussion anywho.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I'd do much better at an underrated games list, because I tend to pay little heed to games I don't like much, but get really adamant about games I love getting bad reviews. But anyways, in no particular order...

1. Call of Duty. It's not really the style or genre of game I'm particularly interested in, but it seems quite evident that there's more originality and more compelling material to FPSs like Battlefield. And pretty much any FPS from Valve is far more compelling than Call of Duty.

2. Pokemon. I still play it, and like it okay, and I'll acknowledge that it and Call of Duty have made notable contributions to online/multiplayer gameplay, but in both cases there are plenty of games of the same genre or style that far outweigh them.

3. Ocarina of Time, but only slightly. Zelda on the whole is one of the greatest game series ever, but it doesn't quite make sense that Ocarina of Time gets perfect scores when there's still room to improve as evidenced by the improvements Majora's Mask made on Ocarina of Time.

1.PokeMon Red, Blue and Yellow(The game just gets too repetitive and boring. After Gen 1, every single PokeMon game was exactly the same, just with different skin)
2.Madden(I don't care for sports which is why I don't care for Madden)
3.Sonic CD(I am a huge Sonic fan, but I didn't like Sonic CD one bit. The time traveling was a good idea, but they just made the levels boring. They were less complex than other Sonic levels. The music wasn't that good and the bosses were a complete joke. Sonic CD is my least favorite Sonic game but I did enjoy the Special Stages)

I didn't put in a shooter because too many people just put them on their list.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
3. Ocarina of Time, but only slightly. Zelda on the whole is one of the greatest game series ever, but it doesn't quite make sense that Ocarina of Time gets perfect scores when there's still room to improve as evidenced by the improvements Majora's Mask made on Ocarina of Time.

What improvements were there to be made? OoT was just about perfect to me, the only flaws are jagged edges (antialiasing wasn't complete in N64 era I'm assuming) and some frame rate trouble on Ganondorf's tower. MM on the other hand...sound deficiency, frame rate issues, and freezing.

D

Deleted member 14134

What do people count as an fps? My one friend claims that fallout 3 is an fps rather then a rpg even though you can beat the game without firing a bullet. Or metroid prime he calls a fps despite being able to lock onto enemies and the huge amount of exploration and puzzle solving. Once even heard kids call oblivion an fps once.

If a fps can come out and do something unique then i thimk it's worth playing but i just cannot see how much call of duty can improve since one is released every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom