• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Link Died?

triq267

Just a relatable ghost trying to spook it up
Hey, I was just wondering, would anyone play a new Zelda game where Link dies:(, and you play as someone else? I just thought it was an interesting question.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I've actually started an AIM roleplay with a couple of friends that's like that. I wanted to work out ideas for a fanfic I may or may not do. I have done a speculative game-setting with that subject - the story of my hypothetical game/possible fanfic basically has Link dying at the beginning, killed by Ganondorf. Zelda flees, and later finds out that it is her destiny to take up the Master Sword and reclaim her kingdom. And Link guides her as a ghost, Shiek-style or possibly Spirit Tracks style, but it's Zelda doing the butt-kicking.

If it were a game, Link would be playable in a "controllable helplessness" situation. You can get some licks in on Ganondorf, but then, the cutscene comes where he kills you, and you play as Zelda thereafter.

piratedude108

BANANA WITH DREADS!!!!!!!
i think in this new idea he should be killed by a giant banana with DREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Link dying at the beginning, killed by Ganondorf. Zelda flees, and later finds out that it is her destiny to take up the Master Sword and reclaim her kingdom. And Link guides her as a ghost, Shiek-style or possibly Spirit Tracks style, but it's Zelda doing the butt-kicking.

Kinda reminds me of the episode "The Missing Link" from the cheesy Zelda cartoon where Link dies.

The title for this new Zelda would probably be: The Legend of Red Dead Redemption: A Link to the Wild West ;)

More like Re-Dead Redemption. Puns for the win.

Anyways, a game where you play as someone else from the Zelda universe has potential, but if you were to play as someone other than Link, I fear the game might lose what makes Zelda Zelda. Link serves as the quintessential "link to the player" and is a large part of what makes a Zelda game. A game where you don't play as Link could be a good game, but if I played it, I don't think I would consider it a true Zelda game since it wouldn't feel like one.

things like this are the reason why i never played Dead Rising 2, killing off the primary protagonust wouldn't work well for me, while in Dead Rising's case Frank West never died, i still would have prefered him over Chuck Greene, that's just an example so same with a Zelda game, if Link were to be replaced i would refuse to play it

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
That would be kinda lame IMO. But I wouldn't mind seeing Link die at the end of the game. You know, Link sacrifices himself to save the land he fought so hard for. The hero dies an honorable death, the people look up to him, we the player hate the evil that forced our hero six feet under, etc. You know what they say, we never know what we have until it's gone. It's good for story purposes.

I don't think playing as someone else is a good idea. It just won't be The Legend of Zelda without Link.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I think that having Link die would ruin the element of stepping into his shoes and controlling his destiny, because no matter what you did, you couldn't really control his destiny enough for him to live.

Blackbaldrik

Sage of Gaming
I agree with Turo602, if they killed Link at the end it would work without changing the game.
If Link was killed in some dramatic way it could really cause a gut-wrenchingly sad tear inducing end to the game, the hero dies but Hyrule is saved, is it a happy ending? I think it would be epic. :)

What if there were two possible endings to the game? One in wich he dies and another one (more difficult to acomplish) in wich he survives? Or maybe if the possible cause of his death is a sacrifice, the "good" ending could be the tragic one (if not for the sacrifice Hyrule isn't completelly saved) or his death could be on the "bad" ending and depends on the player's accomplishments through the game, or the ending where Link survives is kinda hidden, I don't know, many ideas xD

That would give the player the control on Link's destiny/decisions....

I think Link dying at the end of a game in a heroic sacrifice kinda of way would be epic, but at the beggining would be kinda strange... though Shdsie's idea seems really interesting.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
What if there were two possible endings to the game? One in wich he dies and another one (more difficult to acomplish) in wich he survives? Or maybe if the possible cause of his death is a sacrifice, the "good" ending could be the tragic one (if not for the sacrifice Hyrule isn't completelly saved) or his death could be on the "bad" ending and depends on the player's accomplishments through the game, or the ending where Link survives is kinda hidden, I don't know, many ideas xD

That would give the player the control on Link's destiny/decisions....

I think Link dying at the end of a game in a heroic sacrifice kinda of way would be epic, but at the beggining would be kinda strange... though Shdsie's idea seems really interesting.

Your kind of on to something here. If we really want to take control of his destiny, then the game would have to be based on decisions. They say that Link is the link to the player and the character. But do we really feel like Link? I don't think so. If we really want to be Link then why not take control of his decisions?

I like the idea of different endings because that is something that could work very well in a Zelda game. Maybe the ending is based on what type of person we made Link and how well we did in the game. Maybe something like Halo Reach when the mission after the credits said "survive" but it just led up to the hero's fate. Maybe we go through a big challenge against Ganon and a bunch of enemies aiding him and surrounding Link. If we die you get the bad ending and if you survive you get the good ending where Link sacrifices himself instead of dying and failing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom