• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Different Would Zelda Be If Link Talked/Responded?

Vynn Sarr

Sith Lord
It would be very different and odd. He has never spoken before, and i don't think fans would take it well. (including me) Link should never speak ever.

O

OmarScofield

lol true say but what about a future film if they ever made one. Would Link have to speak or just listen to responses. I heard this was the main reason why Nintendo did not want to make a Zelda film as people would be expecting Link to talk or respond to people and surroundings and obviously we know Link never talks or responds in any game and it would feel weird as you said.

So I guess Link just has to continue listening and following orders from things :P

S

ScottyMcGee

I think a film should be made somewhere in the future, and of course fans will bug about it but at least he's still silent in the games, you know? So long as they make Link's script fit him, such as relatively quiet, more expressive with faces, and serious with his replies and emotions. Kind of like Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn. As a child, Link should have fewer things to say. Child actors relatively ruin things (i.e. young Anakin Skywalker), and if they ever chose an annoying runt to be a young Link, they could forever ruin young Link's image. It would be like another CD-i game all over again, or another "Well, excuuuuseee me, princess!"

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I don't think I'd mind too much as long as he's given the right kind of dialogue - I imagine him as soft spoken, more about action and expression than words, polite and easygoing. (That is, the game universe Links -- I imagine them as being quite different than the 80s cartoon I remember from my awkward childhood). I'd say a good guide to "Link's dialogue" would be the Ocarina of Time manga. (I think Akira Himekawa gave him an excellent personality in that).

As a fan fiction writer, I put words in his mouth all the time, so maybe that's why I'm not as adverse to the concept as many other fans are.

Besides, he *has* talked in the games before -- just very, very minimally (blink and you'll miss it). In Zelda II he tells you he found a mirror under a table. I believe Zeruda has some citations of simple sentences spoken in Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask on one of her sites. And, of course, he can yelp, yell and scream like there's no tommorow.

13foxes

Link is a person that links us to the game. We feel like we ARE him. I think, if he talks, it's would ruin the feeling of we have completely control over him. We can't get ourselves deep into the game any more.

Beside, Link does talk, it's just that we can't hear him:
Zelda: What your name?
Link: ....
Zelda: Link? That's a nice name.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I would not like it. It would be different and strange. Maybe his voice would not sound right. But 13foxes is right, maybe we just don't hear him.

O

OmarScofield

I agree with the comments stated here specially "13foxes" quote. Yes we ARE him and he responds to whatever WE name him as and WE feel like we are him. Couldn't of put that more right

O

OmarScofield

Have you ever thought he does not want to do what he is told in his head but is forced to by the people LOL :P

Epona

Ordon Village
I think it would be weird, because we as the player are thinking a certain thing, and if the character we're playing says something else, it might take us out of the story and make us feel farther away from what's going on, and farther away from the character we're playing.

Except something obvious like "I found a mirror under the table" in AoL. :)

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
I don't think it would be weird at all. I mean, true he has never spoken before, but if he was to talk in a new game, I really wouldn't mind. -Maybe- it could be cool. It would be pretty interesting. x3

Link is a person that links us to the game. We feel like we ARE him. I think, if he talks, it's would ruin the feeling of we have completely control over him. We can't get ourselves deep into the game any more.

Beside, Link does talk, it's just that we can't hear him:
Zelda: What your name?
Link: ....
Zelda: Link? That's a nice name.

I agree with you 100%. We are in the role as link. Thats why we play as him.

P

Phantom Ganon

Since we already know everything about him and his humphs and puffs are enough for me. If he were to talk than I swear it would be devastating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom