• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo want to support Switch for 7-10 years

Nintendo and Kimishima have stated that they'd like to support Switch for 7-10 years and extend their console cycle.

I can see why Nintendo would like to have Switch be supported for 10 years given the success it has proven to be for them. There's also no way of knowing if their next console would be a similar success and I'm sure Nintendo aren't eager to potentially repeat another failure like the Wii U.

Do you think Nintendo could support Switch for 10 years? (We'd have to have more than one Smash, Mario Kart etc if this were the case)

Will third parties still support Switch for that length of time?

Would you like Switch to be around for that long?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
No way in hell will they be able to do it for a decade, Microsoft and Sony would stomp nintendo into the ground with new developments so damn quick. We may love nintendo but if it runs slower than other console i doubt we'd buy it.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Just because it is being supported after an amount of time doesn't mean it has no successor. The 3ds exists alongside the Switch. The Switch will exist alongside the Nintendo Switch 2: The Search for More Money

Just because it is being supported after an amount of time doesn't mean it has no successor. The 3ds exists alongside the Switch. The Switch will exist alongside the Nintendo Switch 2: The Search for More Money
Technically the WiiU is still being supported now. Don't need any new gamers for that. Just the occassional security update patch.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I absolutely would like the Switch to be around for that long. Handheld with the power of a console is awesome. I would pick the Switch over literally any other console currently on the market. I hope whatever comes after the Switch has handheld capability, too. Like @the8thark said, we will probably see some new versions of the Switch in the future, as well. The 3DS lasted for quite a while, and it was fantastic the entire time, so I'm certain the Switch can pull that off, too.

Zachie

Moo
I mean, I'm not surprised. The Switch is huge for them & they've been selling a lot of them. I wouldn't want to move on anytime soon. Though it would be nice if they were to release a newer model with a larger battery so it would be more effective on the go. Personally I have a battery pack for it so it doesn't bother me so much, but it'd still be something I'd consider upgrading too. Plus maybe a larger memory model?

Ninja

Well well well
Do you think Nintendo could support Switch for 10 years? (We'd have to have more than one Smash, Mario Kart etc if this were the case)

I think they absolutely could, however they would surely have to release an updated version of the Switch to keep up with the other two competitors, Sony and Microsoft.

Will third parties still support Switch for that length of time?

With the massive sales and popularity that the Switch is having right now, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Would you like Switch to be around for that long?

As long as Nintendo puts out quality and fun games, I wouldn't mind at all. Like I said earlier, the Switch would definitely need one or two upgrade versions like PS4 Pro/Xbox One X.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Since I basically only buy physical, I don't really care how much internal memory I have. I only purchased online on my Wii U when it was digital only (Virtual Console)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
If they plan on continuing the Switch for that long, then the base storage capacity needs to be raised exponentially. Most developers are going to turn away from the Switch in favor for more detailed graphics to appeal to major audiences. Sure, the Switch has base-game Skyrim and Doom, but the majority of large-scale games over the years would need to be downgraded or downscaled just to make plenty of room for the extra gigs. Expandable storage is only a temporary measure, as well, because over a 6-7 year span the average consumer's purchases would undoubtedly surpass the capacity. So raising the base storage from the pathetic 32GB to the currently accepted 500GB would not only convenience their customers (read: 6-7 years worth of games), but also allow them to more directly compete with Sony and Microsoft. Competition brings forth innovation, and innovation reverses the stagnation of a market embroiled by season passes and lootboxes.

I mean physical memory not RAM, but either one would be okay.
Memory is either RAM or ROM. You meant internal SSD space inside the Switch. That's not memory at all. Many people don't realise that SSD space or SD cards are not memory. Just a terminology slip up.

I don't know if more internal SSD space would be useful or not. To have a useful amount inside the Switch woulhabe to be at least 128GB. That would probably push the Switch cost above the $299 US point. Also adding your own micro SD card is cheap enough. I'd rather have a smight price drop. That would help those in the UK/Aus and other countries with higher Switch prices.

Zachie

Moo
Memory is either RAM or ROM. You meant internal SSD space inside the Switch. That's not memory at all. Many people don't realise that SSD space or SD cards are not memory. Just a terminology slip up.
Actually, memory has been (and will continue to be) also used to describe hard drive capacity. Please see this page from Nintendo where under the heading "Save destinations for data" Nintendo refers to it as "The console's system memory."

Also, I'm pretty sure the Switch does not use an SSD. Seems a lot more like flash memory (another example of how capacity is commonly referred to as memory) however I can't really prove that. Doesn't seem viable for it to be an SSD and also be so small & run somewhat slow though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom