• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Nintendo looks to be dealing with this issue. This however also asks another question. Is there enough of these people out there to justify bringing out a 3 month old port to a new console? Sure it's the nice thing to do. But this is business and every move as to be aimed at improiving the bottom line. I just think all these companies believe there is enough Switch interest to make this viable.

Well that's the thing. I think people eat up things like "Enhanced Edition" or "Director's Cut" or "Collector's Edition" and stuff like that. But that's something that not only Nintendo, but the publishers, need to think about. Because as I mentioned before, many many many people own PS4s. I think it's a safe assumption that at least some of those people are going to get a Switch. However, there has to be an incentive for those people to get the games on the Switch instead of the PS4.

If I own a PS4 and you tell me I can get this game now or in 4 months, there had better be a good reason to wait for the other version, other than you can take it on the go (that may be enough for some, but not for me). The incentive would have to be collector's edition or something like that. Maybe include some DLC with the purchase. A GOTY Edition. Something like that.

Also:

CAPCOM said:
"We are currently carrying out research with regards to multiplatform implementation of software for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on to the Nintendo Switch ... [H]owever, we do feel that there are differences in the desired direction and the play-style of the Nintendo Switch and those of the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One."

Either Capcom doesn't understand what the Switch is, or they aren't telling us something. Just because you can take the little screen and play games elsewhere doesn't mean there is going to be any play-style difference between the PS4 and Switch. It's not a handheld. It's a console.

It's this sort of attitude from large 3rd party publishers and developers that makes me worry we're getting a lot of "support" from them, but it's going to be all shovelware.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Well that's the thing. I think people eat up things like "Enhanced Edition" or "Director's Cut" or "Collector's Edition" and stuff like that. But that's something that not only Nintendo, but the publishers, need to think about. Because as I mentioned before, many many many people own PS4s. I think it's a safe assumption that at least some of those people are going to get a Switch. However, there has to be an incentive for those people to get the games on the Switch instead of the PS4.

If I own a PS4 and you tell me I can get this game now or in 4 months, there had better be a good reason to wait for the other version, other than you can take it on the go (that may be enough for some, but not for me). The incentive would have to be collector's edition or something like that. Maybe include some DLC with the purchase. A GOTY Edition. Something like that.

Also:

Either Capcom doesn't understand what the Switch is, or they aren't telling us something. Just because you can take the little screen and play games elsewhere doesn't mean there is going to be any play-style difference between the PS4 and Switch. It's not a handheld. It's a console.

It's this sort of attitude from large 3rd party publishers and developers that makes me worry we're getting a lot of "support" from them, but it's going to be all shovelware.
I don't think Capcom understands what the Switch is, nor it's full potential.

Considering that Square Enix backs them up so much, plus the comments from other developers such as:
Tantulus (Developers of TPHD) said:
It was great to see it finally announced, after all the months of speculation. I've always loved handheld platforms, and a lot of my fondest gaming memories have come from those devices. I’m thinking Tetris on GameBoy, F-Zero on the GBA, even Lumines on PSP. So even though you can play the Switch at home, a lot of the excitement for me comes in having a dedicated gaming device that is completely portable.

It’s true, we love playing around with every new console. It’s one of the really extraordinary things about working in this industry: one day a box arrives with new hardware inside and you take it out and think, “well, I wonder what this thing does?” Then you think about bringing your engine across to it, along with your tool chain, all the while trying to design new content that leverages the stuff that makes that particular platform unique. It’s a tremendously fun ride.

I can confirm that we’re working on Switch, and have been for some time. Our titles haven’t been announced as yet, but keep an eye out for more news soon.
Image& Form ( Steam World Developers) said:
Cannot comment on specs, I am afraid. But Nintendo are definitely not skimping on power!
Ubisoft said:
“With the Switch’s unique capacities and design, Nintendo could again redefine the way we play games! The Switch is accessible at its core and will give people the freedom and the pleasure to share more experiences and play anywhere at anytime. The Ubisoft teams developing games for the Switch are inspired by these new possibilities, and I’m really happy that we’re able to continue doing great things with Nintendo. In addition to Just Dance 2017, I think there’s at least one game that will definitely surprise you!”

The March quarter will also see the release of the Nintendo Switch. As we already said, we think the platform is great. For the first time ever, players will continue their home console experience on the go while traveling or commuting. That is a true innovation.”
Take-Two said:
“We’re happy that Take-two had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on their first look video on Nintendo Switch which was revealed last month and will launch in March 2017. While we’re not confirming any specific titles this time, we’re pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo, and support of the Nintendo Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details at a later date.”
Level 5 said:
“We plan to make games for Nintendo Switch, but I think it’s very important to find out the best way to get the most out of the console. For that reason, we won’t have any titles at launch, but we’ll work with it as soon as we figure out how to take advantage of it.”
Tabata(Final Fantasy Director) said:
“I’m very interested in this machine! As a player, but also as a developer. The Nintendo Switch that you can transform into a controller, that you can put into a dock, that you can move around with, on which you can replace elements.

It’s been a while that I’ve told myself that I would like to make games on a Nintendo machine, so if the Nintendo Switch could be that opportunity, I’ll be delighted!”
Techmo Koei said:
Shibusawa:

Today I’d like to deliver one piece of surprise news for the audience.
We will make (develop / produce) a Nintendo Switch version of Nobunaga’s Ambition!

Hirokazu Hamamura (Enterbrain publisher):
Wait a sec! Even Nintendo hasn’t revealed any of the titles for Switch!

Shibusawa:
Right.

Hamamura:
Probably this is…the first Switch title announcement in the world.

Shibusawa:
Right. I couldn’t hold it. (laugh) I said it, so I can’t back out.… Nintendo might scold me, but I already announced it, you know.
I mean, this is not even all of them. There are almost too many to see and put into a single place haha. Especially since more and more coming out of the woodworks.

I don't think Capcom understands what the Switch is, nor it's full potential.

Considering that Square Enix backs them up so much, plus the comments from other developers such as:

I mean, this is not even all of them. There are almost too many to see and put into a single place haha. Especially since more and more coming out of the woodworks.
I think there is still some more to the Switch that has not been officially announced. SOme of the other developers get it but Capcom are either under a heavy exclusive to them only NDA or they are really that daft. I hope it's not the latter. Nintendo think outside the box when designing their hardware/software experience. The 3rd party devs need to do the same. Not sure Capcom is doing this.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think there is still some more to the Switch that has not been officially announced. SOme of the other developers get it but Capcom are either under a heavy exclusive to them only NDA or they are really that daft. I hope it's not the latter. Nintendo think outside the box when designing their hardware/software experience. The 3rd party devs need to do the same. Not sure Capcom is doing this.

Capcom is one of those companies that I love because of what they've done in the past, but in the last decade or so (aside from Monster Hunter), they've really dropped the ball, in my eyes.

Honestly there are not a lot of third party companies i think have to develop for the console. Square, maybe capcom and mot much else. I already have an xbox one and soon a ps4 for third party sport.

Bravely Default for the console would be great

A $250 price range would be asbolutely fantastic for the console, and it would very much make this a success if it's true.
250 pre tax, that's about 270 post tax in the US. That really would make the console fly off the shelves. $329 in Aus would make it fly off the shelves here too.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
250 pre tax, that's about 270 post tax in the US. That really would make the console fly off the shelves. $329 in Aus would make it fly off the shelves here too.
Just a little thing about American culture....

We don't pay any attention in regards to taxes with the price. So like, when an object is $250, almost no Americans actually think about it as, "oh so this is going to be $270". It's also vastly different depending on which town you live in.

Just a little thing about American culture....

We don't pay any attention in regards to taxes with the price. So like, when an object is $250, almost no Americans actually think about it as, "oh so this is going to be $270". It's also vastly different depending on which town you live in.
Yeah they have state sales taxes which are all different in each state, not a national sales tax like Australia. We Australians don't even think of sales tax as a thing. We just pay the price and let the store owner send 10% off to the ATO.

Also my US friend told me quite a few US people will travel to different states to pay less sales tax on big ticket items. Apparantely the Switch is a big ticket item as people are already planning which state they want to purchase it in.

Also my US friend told me quite a few US people will travel to different states to pay less sales tax on big ticket items. Apparantely the Switch is a big ticket item as people are already planning which state they want to purchase it in.

I think it really depends on where you live. Some of the states are really big, and unless you're able (and willing) to drive for hours to leave your state and find a store in a nearby one, crossing state borders for a console may not be worth it. Then again, if you're the sort of person who lives in smaller states like Rhode Island or Massachusetts, it won't be much of an issue. I won't do it myself, not unless the price turns out to be something crazy like $500 (please Nintendo no) and I need any break I can get haha.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Looking at the NSwitch why is it i get the feeling it's a unified console? I mean we finally got the 3DS and a traditional console combined. Unless i've missed something i do thin they should've just called it Nintendo Unified. But Switch is a nice solid name for a device you heh switch modes with.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Honestly there are not a lot of third party companies i think have to develop for the console. Square, maybe capcom and mot much else. I already have an xbox one and soon a ps4 for third party sport.

Bravely Default for the console would be great

Is there anything that would give you cause to hold of a purchase of a PS4 game in lieu of getting it on the Switch? Or are you pretty much sold on getting those games only on your PS4 (or XBO, if applicable)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom