• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video Games That Require the Most Thought?

What genre requires the most brainpower typically?

• FPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Puzzle

• RTS

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Moba

• RPG

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Platformer

• Arcade

• Other

• Fighting

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Point and click

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crono

Hylian Rebel
The game will clearly be way to hard for you to complete, but I suggest trying it anyways :)

@Dan
You didn't list the Point and Click Adventure game genre. This game genre has typically required a lot of thought to beat the games.

My vote goes for the Point and Click Adventure game genre. This game genre requires no hand reflexes and skill like FPS and fighting games do. Sure those games require you have a good memory for all the moves, but you need the memory plus the skill to pull them off. Once you've memorised all the moves (of every character), all you need to do is keep practicing to pull them off better then your opponent. That's not real thought, it's just rote practice so you can do what you've learnt better and better.

Point and Click Adventure games on the other hand don't require rote practice to perfect learnt moves. Point and Click Adventure games are all about constantly thinking about how to progress to the next part of the game, as usually the way forward is not obvious and requires much thought.

Dan

@Dan
You didn't list the Point and Click Adventure game genre. This game genre has typically required a lot of thought to beat the games.

My vote goes for the Point and Click Adventure game genre. This game genre requires no hand reflexes and skill like FPS and fighting games do. Sure those games require you have a good memory for all the moves, but you need the memory plus the skill to pull them off. Once you've memorised all the moves (of every character), all you need to do is keep practicing to pull them off better then your opponent. That's not real thought, it's just rote practice so you can do what you've learnt better and better.

Point and Click Adventure games on the other hand don't require rote practice to perfect learnt moves. Point and Click Adventure games are all about constantly thinking about how to progress to the next part of the game, as usually the way forward is not obvious and requires much thought.

I thought about placing Point and Click Adventure in the poll but doesn't the genre fit in under puzzle? I tried not to list too many genres and use their purest form as possible.

I thought about placing Point and Click Adventure in the poll but doesn't the genre fit in under puzzle? I tried not to list too many genres and use their purest form as possible.
Understood and thanks :)

Actually no. Puzzle games are totally different. A way to example to explain this would be trying to compare Monkey Island or Myst to Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League (both TA and PPL are the same thing). You can see the obvious difference between Point and Click Adventure and Puzzle games there.

Graphic Point and Click Adventures to have puzzling elements but in a totally different way to puzzle games.

Here is a nice article about the rise and fall (and semi rise again, thanks Telltale) of the Point and click Adventure game genre.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/01/history-of-graphic-adventures/

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Understood and thanks :)

Actually no. Puzzle games are totally different. A way to example to explain this would be trying to compare Monkey Island or Myst to Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League (both TA and PPL are the same thing). You can see the obvious difference between Point and Click Adventure and Puzzle games there.

Graphic Point and Click Adventures to have puzzling elements but in a totally different way to puzzle games.

Here is a nice article about the rise and fall (and semi rise again, thanks Telltale) of the Point and click Adventure game genre.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/01/history-of-graphic-adventures/

Yeah that makes sense, I've amended the poll.
Thanks for the article too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom