Posted on June 01 2011 by Nathanial Rumphol-Janc
E3 is getting extremely close now with only six days remaining. In today’s countdown feature, we’re reliving Nintendo’s past 16 years of E3 presentations, from the first E3 in 1995, to their all around domination in 2010. So read on for some dot point summaries of all the major announcements – whether consoles or software as well as all the major demonstrations and acts.
From the Virtual Boy, to the 3DS – Ocarina of Time to Skyward Sword, Nintendo has come a long way in 17 years, and so has E3. From the debut in 1995, E3 has been the premier gamers event, and every year they just keep on getting better. Nintendo is no exception to outdoing themselves each and every year, so read on and have a look at what Nintendo will be outdoing this year.
- Ultra 64 system said to be coming soon.
- The commercial failure, the Virtual Boy, was revealed.
- Super Nintendo version of the arcade game “Killer Instinct” revealed.
- Ultra 64 was revealed as the Nintendo 64.
- Super Mario 64 was revealed
- Pilotwings 64 and Wave Race 64 were playable.
- GameBoy Pocket Revealed
- GoldenEye 007
- Kirby’s Air Ride
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Mario Kart 64
- Star Fox 64
- Yoshi’s Island 64
- Final version of Ocarina of Time demonstrated.
- Perfect Dark revealed.
- Pokemon unveiled for the GameBoy.
- Nintendo talked about the GameCube and revealed that it would use discs.
- Perfect Dark was demonstrated.
- Get Force Gemini and Donkey Kong 64 from Rare were shown off.
- Mario Golf and Excitebike 64 were announced.
- Rumors of the Game Boy Advance circulated.
- Lots of Nintendo 64 games – Paper Mario, Conker’s Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Tooie and Majora’s Mask.
- GameBoy Advance very briefly mentioned.
- Nintendo GameCube was featured.
- Luigi’s Mansion
- Wave Race: Blue Storm
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- First major wireless controller, the Wavebird, revealed.
- Super Mario Sunshine
- The Wind Waker
- Metroid Prime
- 1080° Avalanche.
- Game Boy Advance shown off
- A Link to the Past remake demonstrated with Four Swords
- GBA connectivity to GameCube in The Wind Waker shown
- Four Swords Adventures was revealed.
- Mario Kart: Double Dash, Pikmin 2, Metroid: Zero Mission and Kirby Air Ride were shown.
(Note: This is seen as Nintendo’s worst E3 ever.)
- Twilight Princess made it’s triumphant debut.
- The Nintendo DS was revealed.
- Reggie debuted.
- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes revealed.
- The Minish Cap revealed
- Super Mario 64 DS shown off.
- Steel Diver was used to demonstrate the DS (yes, the one released as a 3DS launch title)
(Note: This is seen as Nintendo’s best E3, that made up for 2003’s lameness.)
- Revolution announced
- Game Boy Micro revealed
- Mario Kart DS revealed
- Twilight Princess featured
- Wii revealed, along with Wii Sports and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
- Twilight Princess’s last appearance, and Mario Galaxy’s first – as well as Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Nintendo DS Lite revealed along with Phantom Hourglass.
- Peripheral Heaven – Zapper, Balance Board and Wheel.
- Mario Kart Wii revealed
- Brawl, Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Phantom Hourglass all featured again.
- Wii Motion Plus and Wii Sports Resort debuted.
- Wii Music and Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars debuted
- Pikmin 3 and a New Zelda Game announced at Private Press Conference
- Nintendo DSi
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Spirit Tracks
- Other M
- Wii Fit Plus
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
- Artwork of the upcoming Zelda game leaked.
- Skyward Sword
- Mario Sports Mix
- Wii Party
- Goldeneye 007
- Epic Mickey
- Kirby’s Epic Yarn
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Nintendo 3DS reveal
Get ready. In 6 days time we will know!